Not open for further replies.

dasding

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Germany
This is a standard practice in fan translation and most teams do delta patches (although there are some lazy ones that just hand out layeredfs files).

Sorry for being lazy... not =P LFS is far more convenient for the end user so that's the reason for that. I can make a delta patch just as easy, but end user has to do far more steps then. with which some might get confused on that part.

P.S.: i do not want to argue about which patch format is better, just saying it's not always about being lazy ;)

Reactions: astronautlevel

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry for being lazy... not =P LFS is far more convenient for the end user so that's the reason for that. I can make a delta patch just as easy, but end user has to do far more steps then. with which some might get confused on that part.

P.S.: i do not want to argue about which patch format is better, just saying it's not always about being lazy ;)
OK, it might be easier, but there are lags/slowdowns in some games because of FAT32. And I do think there are legal issues with releasing the files in full and not as a delta. I didn't mean to judge - you do you.

Reactions: DarthDub

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
OK, it might be easier, but there are lags/slowdowns in some games because of FAT32. And I do think there are legal issues with releasing the files in full and not as a delta. I didn't mean to judge - you do you.
For most things it shouldn't be noticeable, especially since most assets are loaded during loading screens. Also, it's not because of FAT32, it's because of SD card latency :P

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For most things it shouldn't be noticeable, especially since most assets are loaded during loading screens. Also, it's not because of FAT32, it's because of SD card latency :P
Not if there are lots of small files. FAT32 would cause lags in that case. It's not that bad in DGS tbh, but I saw it being pretty bad in other translation projects...

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
The complaintative issues here have no bearing to the topic of the thread. take it up in PM and stop making it into a dramatic accusatory mess (with your lack of information to go upon. You're only making yourself look a bit rabid by frothing about that 'mods don't this! Mods don't that"! When you have zero knowledge of staff matters. BTW the patreon fee + Costello paid for a raffled switch to a member of the site and not to staff...So shows how much you know)

If it continues this way, the thread will further derail and warrant a lock. Thanks.

gatorade2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is everyone going to just complain and not talk about how good of a translation this is? It's nothing we need to drag on for 17 pages. All points have been covered, nothing else will change their mind.

I wanted to say that just opening up the game in English with that title music put the biggest grin on my face. After 2 years of listening to my favorite soundtrack of the series while knowing almost nothing about the game, I could finally start playing it. Then I got into it and saw that Capcom couldn't have done a better job if they translated this themselves. The case was fantastic, loved the characters and the jokes, a bit over-complicated at the end but Ace Attorney always gets like that. One of the best evenings I've had in the past few weeks. And this was only case one, I'm ecstatic for what the rest of the game will bring with characters like Sherlock and that wine prosecutor. Just thank you, seriously.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
The complaintative issues here have no bearing to the topic of the thread. take it up in PM and stop making it into a dramatic accusatory mess (with your lack of information to go upon. You're only making yourself look a bit rabid by frothing about that 'mods don't this! Mods don't that"! When you have zero knowledge of staff matters. BTW the patreon fee + Costello paid for a raffled switch to a member of the site and not to staff...So shows how much you know)

If it continues this way, the thread will further derail and warrant a lock. Thanks.
As much as I think that leaving it open to promote discussion, locking it might be more useful.

Quite simply put:
- If you whine about the AP checks, STFU. @Uwabami and the others clearly have stated their reasons, and they won't change just because you tell them to. (Primary problem with online discussion no. 1: Everyone is firmly based in their own side and cannot be swayed.)
- If you really have such a problem with the AP checks, do your own research to bypass them instead of going in petty online fights with the devs. (Primary problem with online discussion no. 2: People debate instead of actually doing stuff.)
- Discuss the quality of the translation itself, not the quality of it's AP checks. (Primary problem with online discussion no. 3: Every topic related to the subject will be derailed to conform the debate.)

Personally, I'd like to congratulate @Uwabami and the rest of his team. Don't own DGS yet (thinking about importing it), but translating a game like this must be hard work, especially since the Ace Attorney series is quite famous for having a good and consistent narrative and containing references to pop culture (if they are sticking to the Americanization CAPCOM does and they do). If they pulled that off, (and from the people who actually post about the translation it seems they did) I see no reason to complain.

Keep working on it and providing a good translation to the 'Tempers :D . Your hard work will not go unnoticed, even if it seems the complainers are in the majority.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not really trying to take any side here, but shipping costs can double that price, especially if they are international shipping costs.
I guess that depends, but now that you say it, shipping was included when I ordered the bundle DGS1&2 for €80 from amazon.co.jp - it was not included in the €35 / $40 for DGS1 alone. (Included by me)

Sauntyamipok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just so happy we can finally play this game in English after all this time (at least the first case). This is such an excellent work. I think the team isn't getting nearly as much praise as they deserve. They did such a good job with this release, keeping the Ace Attorney essence we all love while mantaining what makes DGS stand out, and it's sad that everything you're talking about is the AP check.

The team deserves a lot of praise for their hard work. They did it on their free time just so we western fans can enjoy the game. If you disagree with the AP check that's fine, I don't necessarily like it either, but oh well.

I just want to thank the team for their great work and I just hope the criticism doesn't get to them.

Last edited by Sauntyamipok,

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You want moderation, you get moderation. Deleted all the 251 posts (not counting those that were already deleted by other mods) related to the bickering about the AP.
We've seen your reports. We've read every single post in this thread. Sometimes we decide that something doesn't break our rules. But your constant whining about how shitty us mods are, are really going on my nerves. You know what would happen in other forums, where the mods are so much better? They'd delete the whole thread. They wouldn't bother reading every single post, deciding on each and every one of them which to keep and which to delete. That does take time.
And we're here and we're dealing with the most important stuff very promptly. Bickering, childish fights and name calling aren't the most pressing issues. It's Friday, maybe we're doing something social in real life. We may even ignore our real life events for a while to do mod stuff here. Devoting hours to one single thread though, when it's nothing "super important"... meh, save it for later.

And if we don't follow YOUR wishes 24/7, we need more mods? Okay.
How about that DLC button that was removed in your patch? There was this one user who wanted that button back several hours ago. Is it back yet? If it isn't, you clearly need to get more devs on your team because it's clearly lacking.

You go on speaking of other's entitlement, but you don't see your own entitlement? Grow up.

Aside from that, good work on the translation. Looks good! I've never played a single game in this series except trying the first, this one looks more fun than the other ones. Does the physical 1&2 version include both games on one cartridge, or is it two cartridges?

Hihomaster

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Good job for the translation amazing work so far ( still playing the episode 1 right now! ). Again Good job Uwabami and the whole team behind this project! it always impress me the amount of work just to translate one episode

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You want moderation, you get moderation. Deleted all the 251 posts (not counting those that were already deleted by other mods) related to the bickering about the AP.
We've seen your reports. We've read every single post in this thread. Sometimes we decide that something doesn't break our rules. But your constant whining about how shitty us mods are, are really going on my nerves. You know what would happen in other forums, where the mods are so much better? They'd delete the whole thread. They wouldn't bother reading every single post, deciding on each and every one of them which to keep and which to delete. That does take time.
And we're here and we're dealing with the most important stuff very promptly. Bickering, childish fights and name calling aren't the most pressing issues. It's Friday, maybe we're doing something social in real life. We may even ignore our real life events for a while to do mod stuff here. Devoting hours to one single thread though, when it's nothing "super important"... meh, save it for later.

And if we don't follow YOUR wishes 24/7, we need more mods? Okay.
How about that DLC button that was removed in your patch? There was this one user who wanted that button back several hours ago. Is it back yet? If it isn't, you clearly need to get more devs on your team because it's clearly lacking.

You go on speaking of other's entitlement, but you don't see your own entitlement? Grow up.

Aside from that, good work on the translation. Looks good! I've never played a single game in this series except trying the first, this one looks more fun than the other ones. Does the physical 1&2 version include both games on one cartridge, or is it two cartridges?
1) I'm not the only one who thinks you should have more mods. There are good people who would be willing to do it - I think you should let them. It was a bad situation for us and nobody was willing to help - I see that from your perspective that might have been different, but for us it was awful. I have to single you out as a good example of a mod, though, because I have seen you make fair decisions and I'm sorry I was generalizing before.
2) The DLC button will be back in 2.0.1 - probably optionally
3) I don't think this is entitlement, people posted illegal content and it was in your own interest to remove it
4) Thanks for the praise, I will forward it. It's two Game Cards and a short version of the soundtrack:

C00000779_41d02a03ab4b41ae8e3b3fdb102ca487.jpg

kisamawoshinjiteiruzo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for all your hard work on the patch. It means the world to Ace Attorney fans. AP or no AP: it doesn't take away from the raw quality of the work itself.

Reactions: Uwabami

Silent Hell

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We have no doubt someone will crack this quickly, because the protection isn't very elaborate. It's only supposed to spark a conversation - and boy it did.
Sooooo, do you not want this conversation anymore?

Haha, just kidding. But seriously. I don't know what everyone expected would happen.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sooooo, do you not want this conversation anymore?

Haha, just kidding. But seriously. I don't know what everyone expected would happen.
We wanted a conversation about "niche" games and piracy. We believe they need support. Not everyone on our team agreed, but in the end we did it. What went over the line was people only concentrating on that aspect and not anything else, people linking to the crack or even people actively posting the cracked payload. That's not having a conversation, that's harassment.

I guess this was the wrong platform for it.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
As much as I think that leaving it open to promote discussion, locking it might be more useful.

Quite simply put:
- If you whine about the AP checks, STFU. @Uwabami and the others clearly have stated their reasons, and they won't change just because you tell them to. (Primary problem with online discussion no. 1: Everyone is firmly based in their own side and cannot be swayed.)
- If you really have such a problem with the AP checks, do your own research to bypass them instead of going in petty online fights with the devs. (Primary problem with online discussion no. 2: People debate instead of actually doing stuff.)
- Discuss the quality of the translation itself, not the quality of it's AP checks. (Primary problem with online discussion no. 3: Every topic related to the subject will be derailed to conform the debate.)

Personally, I'd like to congratulate @Uwabami and the rest of his team. Don't own DGS yet (thinking about importing it), but translating a game like this must be hard work, especially since the Ace Attorney series is quite famous for having a good and consistent narrative and containing references to pop culture (if they are sticking to the Americanization CAPCOM does and they do). If they pulled that off, (and from the people who actually post about the translation it seems they did) I see no reason to complain.

Keep working on it and providing a good translation to the 'Tempers :D . Your hard work will not go unnoticed, even if it seems the complainers are in the majority.

I wouldn't say that. People are capable of changing their minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work