Hacking [Release] rxTools - Roxas75 3DS Toolkit [fw 2.0 - 9.2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trophies
XP
Country
Sometimes I get black screen, but it still loaded. If that's the case then you just need to press whatever you normally press to get past the rxtools screen. On my old version it's R, then I think A, then Y.
I pressed R to get to Rxtools. I press A to boot the rx mode, I then press Y to boot emunand. It says booting RX mode for less than a second and then goes black.

Do I need any other folders other than tools and rxtools?

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need some help. I got a new 8.1 2ds today. I got rxtools to work but I can't access Emunand... I keep getting black screen...
Did you create one?

1) Make sure you're using the latest nightly -> https://lavanoid.github.io/
2) Follow the setup part of README.MD
3) Install FBI.CIA (or BBM, or whatever) to SYSNAND
4) Backup EVERYTHING on your SD card to your PC.
5) Format emunand with Gateway's launcher or emunand9
6) Copy everything back to your SD card
7) Optionally (and HIGHLY recommended), use tinyformat on sysnand to unlink your nands.

Last edited by urherenow,

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Why is installing FBI to SYSNAND a good idea? I have it installed to emunand, I thought we were meant to leave SYSNAND untouched.

Trophies
XP
Country
Did you create one?

1) Make sure you're using the latest nightly -> https://lavanoid.github.io/
2) Follow the setup part of README.MD
3) Install FBI.CIA (or BBM, or whatever) to SYSNAND
4) Backup EVERYTHING on your SD card to your PC.
5) Format emunand with Gateway's launcher or emunand9
6) Copy everything back to your SD card
7) Optionally (and HIGHLY recommended), use tinyformat on sysnand to unlink your nands.
How to I open the readme?

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is installing FBI to SYSNAND a good idea? I have it installed to emunand, I thought we were meant to leave SYSNAND untouched.
Don't worry about it if you already have it in emunand. It's better to tell people to install it to sysnand, so that it'll be in emunand already when they create an emunand. A lot of n00bs like to make an emunand then update it to 10.5 right away, then complain that nothing will install a .cia file (because no .3dsx can install a .cia on 10.5, it MUST be run either from a GW or as an installed .cia).

How to I open the readme?
change it to .txt or just right-click and open with notepad++ or notepad, or wordpad, etc... it's just a text file) It looks much better reading it on GitHub though -> https://www.github.com/roxas75/rxTools (scroll down)

Last edited by urherenow,

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
@LoggerMan & @Sheimi dont forget to run your respective 3DS model's firm cdn python script and put the firm folder in /rxtools, (otherwise it wont boot properly!)

Mm, I did tha ton my last attempt. Eventually did it anyway. I'm on 10.1 now I think, I give the 3DS back to my nephew tomorrow. Is it worth trying to update rxtools and then emunand or should I just leave it as is? I've got the CIAs loaded already so I'm thinking of just leaving it, after all this effort.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mm, I did tha ton my last attempt. Eventually did it anyway. I'm on 10.1 now I think, I give the 3DS back to my nephew tomorrow. Is it worth trying to update rxtools and then emunand or should I just leave it as is? I've got the CIAs loaded already so I'm thinking of just leaving it, after all this effort.
yea theres no need to stay on 10.1 be it Sysnand or EmuNAND (Update rxtools and Emunand to 10.5/Downgrade Sysnand to 9.2 if sysnand isnt on it allready)

Just dont forget to ruleout the SDCard by if you got a spare setup a spare card w/ a fresh EmuNAND and see if you continue to get blackscreens on my build. if you dont your old card might be failing on you.

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
yea theres no need to stay on 10.1 be it Sysnand or EmuNAND (Update rxtools and Emunand to 10.5/Downgrade Sysnand to 9.2 if sysnand isnt on it allready)

Just dont forget to ruleout the SDCard by if you got a spare setup a spare card w/ a fresh EmuNAND and see if you continue to get blackscreens on my build. if you dont your old card might be failing on you.

sysnand is on 4.4. So I should try to update emunand following the "QuickStartGuide(v3.0_BETA)" guide in the nightly build? And it's okay to keep the old firmware.bin and slot0x25KeyX.bin?

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You can safely update the EmuNAND from the system settings menu. Just make sure you're in EmuNAND and not SysNAND. It will say 'RX-E' before the firmware version.

Updating your SysNAND to 9.2 is completely optional. It allows you to use menuhax instead of the MSET exploit.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sysnand is on 4.4. So I should try to update emunand following the "QuickStartGuide(v3.0_BETA)" guide in the nightly build? And it's okay to keep the old firmware.bin and slot0x25KeyX.bin?

the latest nightlies are diffrent from the old 2.XX builds, firmware is now stored in 3 diffrent.bins in /rxTools/firm and it stores its Bot file as code.bin in /rxTools/sys

i'd suggest atleast setting up ctrbootmanager as the boot.3dsx and to have rxTools a default boot option in it. (doing this would still let you access Homebrew w/ installing HBLauncher CIA and Hexediting the payload to load a renamed Homebrew launcher 3dsx for a streamlined experince (you can find a guide here to set that up http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-more-or-less-catch-all-tutorial.407080/ ) and to setup the payload for homebrew, grab from here http://smealum.github.io/3ds/#prepare the 10.5.0-30 (your region) otherapp payload, and rename it "hblauncherloader_otherapp_payload_OLD-10-5-0-30-USA.bin" ,

Next grab https://smealum.github.io/ninjhax2/boot.3dsx and rename it anything with 4 letters/numbers and save it to your SDCard's Root directory,
open the Otherapp payload you downloaded and renamed in anyhexeditor (i suggest HxD) and look for the string "boot.3dsx" and change that "boot" to what you named your Homebrew launcher's boot.3dsx

That will let you still access Homebrew from 10.5 Emunand while having a semi-coldboot rxTools and you can leave entries in ctrbootmanager for EmuNAND9Tool for dealing w/ backingup your SysNAND/EmuNAND/manipulating it etc. BUT to update your EmuNAND to 10.5 you can either use safesysupdateer or from System Settings but MAKE SURE when you open System settinsg it Shows RX-E 10.1 etc if you dont see RX-E in that version string, DO NOT Update! (that will indicate your in Sysnand!)

Glix

Trophies
XP
Country
the latest nightlies are diffrent from the old 2.XX builds, firmware is now stored in 3 diffrent.bins in /rxTools/firm and it stores its Bot file as code.bin in /rxTools/sys

i'd suggest atleast setting up ctrbootmanager as the boot.3dsx and to have rxTools a default boot option in it. (doing this would still let you access Homebrew w/ installing HBLauncher CIA and Hexediting the payload to load a renamed Homebrew launcher 3dsx for a streamlined experince (you can find a guide here to set that up http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-more-or-less-catch-all-tutorial.407080/ ) and to setup the payload for homebrew, grab from here http://smealum.github.io/3ds/#prepare the 10.5.0-30 (your region) otherapp payload, and rename it "hblauncherloader_otherapp_payload_OLD-10-5-0-30-USA.bin" ,

Next grab https://smealum.github.io/ninjhax2/boot.3dsx and rename it anything with 4 letters/numbers and save it to your SDCard's Root directory,
open the Otherapp payload you downloaded and renamed in anyhexeditor (i suggest HxD) and look for the string "boot.3dsx" and change that "boot" to what you named your Homebrew launcher's boot.3dsx

That will let you still access Homebrew from 10.5 Emunand while having a semi-coldboot rxTools and you can leave entries in ctrbootmanager for EmuNAND9Tool for dealing w/ backingup your SysNAND/EmuNAND/manipulating it etc. BUT to update your EmuNAND to 10.5 you can either use safesysupdateer or from System Settings but MAKE SURE when you open System settinsg it Shows RX-E 10.1 etc if you dont see RX-E in that version string, DO NOT Update! (that will indicate your in Sysnand!)

He is on 4.4 though, he would have to update for menuhax/ctrboot/autoboot?

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country

It's a EUR system actually, an Australian 3DS. That all sounds like a lot of steps, I might save that for the next time I have access to this 3DS.

Just for now though, it's safe to update to 10.5 from the settings menu while making sure I am in emunand, even though I have the old 2.X rxtools on there?

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He is on 4.4 though, he would have to update for menuhax/ctrboot/autoboot?
yea thats right then @LoggerMan follow directions from teh quickstart guide @ step 3 theres no benifit from updating Sysnand to 9.2 and only poses a risk of a Softbrick (moreso if your using an 2DS and have MSET 4.xx Installed!)

@LoggerMan No, the 2.xx builds dont have Support for 10.5, you'll need to update rxTools first.

Last edited by Dracari,

CrazedForever

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I can't figure out what I need to do. I have an old 3DS XL on sysnand 4.3 running rxtools 2.6 with emunand 9.9

Can I update emunand to 10.5 on rxtools 2.6 on o3ds?

If not, I want to update rxtools but I do not see an rxtools.dat in the nightlies because it doesnt exist anymore. I want to launch rxtools using the MSET hack. In the readme.md file it says
# How to install DS Profile (MSET) Exploit (requires MSET 6.x)
Upon building, there will be a folder called release/mset that contains the files rxinstaller.nds and rxinstaller.bin. Using a supported NDS flash cart, launch rxinstaller.nds to install the MSET exploit.
I don't think I have MSET 6.x since I am on sysNAND 4.3, correct? So can't I use the mset explot anymore? I prefer not to bother with browser exploits or other kinds of things I need to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :ohnoes: @NoiseCommander3DS Would you please turn down that noise. I haven't had my COFFEE yet... +1