ROM Hack [release] MHX Quest Editor

Coffee Prosecutor

Asking too much.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So, from this I gather, that you can't edit the supplybox? Because, I abused the supplybox from the Uragaan-Quest to have the first item be a pawpass, so that I may hand it in instantly.

I think, I'll try editing the spawn-conditions for pawpasses, then.

Coffee Prosecutor

Asking too much.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
All right!

Without touching the supplybox, my quest started working again. I edited like 3 reward-items and set them to 10, which worked as well. Also, I found a workaround: Changing the item, you need to deliver, frees you of the need to achieve the requirements of the pawpass-ticket, which allows easier farming of some annoying items.

I kinda wish, bigger rewards would still be possible, but oh well...

Zeku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is it possible to create a funktion to import the backup savedata? Tried with all save manager if found, but nothing works for MHX for me :/

Vladimir15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
would it be possible to implement an exporter/importer to the site for the individual file, example i made a quest with an edited supply box, i wish to be able to extract this supply box and import it into another quest.

Coffee Prosecutor

Asking too much.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
would it be possible to implement an exporter/importer to the site for the individual file, example i made a quest with an edited supply box, i wish to be able to extract this supply box and import it into another quest.
You were able to edit the supplybox? Are you on 1.2 as well? o:

Vladimir15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
it would seem not. the quest disappeared from the list, better get reading i suppose. yes i'm on 1.2

EDIT. Ok if you wanna use CQ's for personal gain just use devmenu to remove the update cia. Turn off wifi to prevent updating. Play the quest offline.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is it possible to create a funktion to import the backup savedata? Tried with all save manager if found, but nothing works for MHX for me :/

i use extdata_dump homebrew app to restore the mhx save file, tho if you edit it i have found you need to make sure the system file and system_backup file match or weird stuff happens when you start the game, it like the game reads both the save and the backup to make sure they match.

Last edited by Vladimir15,

Vladimir15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
How to remove the update? Also, wouldn't it revert the save to uselessness? (Do you mean BBM?)
No I have edited supply box with raizarex gear, armor spheres at 99 counts. Used devmenu cia to remove the 1.2 update. (id,1554 I think) Save still works, quest is playable offline. You will need to reinstall 1.2 to use online features again tho.

Note: the id for game is same as update. there will be 2 in devmenu, one 1.5gb (the game) one Alot smaller 30mb ish (the update)

Last edited by Vladimir15,

CactusCake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've plowed through the game twice now and I wanna make some silly oversized Iodrome quest or something but I have one problem.

I'M SO CONFUSED.

So basically, after doing a couple hours of research I have no clue how to go about getting a quest file to edit. Now, near as I can tell, mhef is what I use for that but... I have no idea how to use that and believe me I've tried. I think I get how to use the editor and how to get the quest back into my game once I edit it but can somebody type up a long tutorial with good instructions? Usually with this sort of stuff I do okay but this has me stumped. If anyone gets me a nice tutorial on how you even BEGIN to do this stuff or you know of a nice video tutorial (none of which I have found) the please get back to me.

A small edit: Homebrew is NOT an option. My JN3DS is too recently updated that it just ain't gonna happen.

thanks <3

Last edited by CactusCake,

moghedien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've plowed through the game twice now and I wanna make some silly oversized Iodrome quest or something but I have one problem.

I'M SO CONFUSED.

So basically, after doing a couple hours of research I have no clue how to go about getting a quest file to edit. Now, near as I can tell, mhef is what I use for that but... I have no idea how to use that and believe me I've tried. I think I get how to use the editor and how to get the quest back into my game once I edit it but can somebody type up a long tutorial with good instructions? Usually with this sort of stuff I do okay but this has me stumped. If anyone gets me a nice tutorial on how you even BEGIN to do this stuff or you know of a nice video tutorial (none of which I have found) the please get back to me.

A small edit: Homebrew is NOT an option. My JN3DS is too recently updated that it just ain't gonna happen.

thanks <3
Basically it's a pain to do it without Homebrew but it's possible. And yes, it's mhef that you'll need to download and decrypt the quests.
To install mhef:
  1. Install Python (both 2.7 and 3.5 should work): http://www.python.org
  2. Open up the command line and type "pip install pycrypto"
  3. Download the newest version of mhef and unzip it someplace: https://github.com/svanheulen/mhef
  4. Open up the command line and change to the mhef directory you unzipped
  5. Run "python setup.py install --user" in the command line
To download a quest:
  1. Open up the command line and change to the mhef directory you unzipped
  2. Run "python tools\download_n3ds.py X JPN arc/quest/q1010002.arc q1010002.arc"
To decrypt a quest:
  1. Open up the command line and change to the mhef directory you unzipped
  2. Run "python examples\n3ds\dlc.py d X JPN q1010002.arc q1010002_dec.arc"
Once you have the decrypted arc file, you can use it with the quest editor. Once you've modified it you'll have to re-encrypt it (same as decryption except a "e" instead of "d" in the command). As for getting it into your game, that's kinda of tricky. You need to use a proxy that can replace files... there's one that people use often but I forget the name of it. I did make one for MH4U but I never bothered updating it to work with MHX, sorry.

I haven't done much with this stuff in a while but I'll probably pick it up again when the English version gets released this summer.

Also keep in mind that Capcom changes the encryption key every few days and I haven't been keeping it updated in the mhef code (but I updated it just before posting this). If you need me to update the key just PM me.

Captain Jack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, @moghedien. I was wondering if you could help me out with the reward box editing. What does Flag mean in the "rem" section of the quest editor. Thanks in advance. *edit* Also, in the Supply Box, what does the "Label" section mean? Is there somewhere I can get a list of what everything in the editor means/refers to?

Last edited by Captain Jack,

moghedien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, @moghedien. I was wondering if you could help me out with the reward box editing. What does Flag mean in the "rem" section of the quest editor. Thanks in advance. *edit* Also, in the Supply Box, what does the "Label" section mean? Is there somewhere I can get a list of what everything in the editor means/refers to?
Most of the fields are named from strings found in the game's code, so I'm not 100% sure what they mean. The best thing to do is to open an existing DLC quest and see how it's used there. I'm not sure about the "Flag" in rRem files but I know that the "Label" in the rSupplyList indicates when those supplies will be added to the box. For instance supplies that will be added when the subquest it completed.

moghedien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

infernox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. The "rQuestData" format has changed slightly from MHX to MHGen. It should be easy to fix, I've just been busy with other stuff.
But I did make a Python script that will fix MHX quests to work with MHGen so you could use this to make a quest then just convert it: https://github.com/svanheulen/mhff/blob/master/n3ds/convert_quest.py

Hi I been using this custom quest editor for 2 days but and i'm really starting to get the hang of it, but i'm really confused with the MHX quest to work with MHG, i'm not really understanding. If so, maybe if you can give me an introduction on how to do it, i'm really new with python?

moghedien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Phemeto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems, I've solved the problem with the Ember Dinovaldo DLC.

Used in the second time the DLC Quest with Kechawacha, Blangonga and Rajang, because there are multiple monster in that quest.

Now I've created a quest with Ferocious Lagiacrus and Tamamitsune at the same time, than a White Gale Nargacuga will spawn, after the Nargacuga is dead, an Ember Blade Dinovaldo will spawn and at least the Amatsumagatsuchi spawn. I've wondering that the Amatsumagatsuchi can spawn in the Dragon Graveyard. He will turn the Area into a wonderfull blue light, when he goes into phase 2 like the hydra does, when it is outrage lol.
The Quest works, all 5 Monster spawn and if i slayed the Amatsu the quest was clear.

Some notes:
-To make a monster spawn into the quest you have to change the Boss spawn number when you edit the bosses (you can get the ID of your boss when you look into the Quest data page and count up to your Boss Name)
Important: The field "none" has to be count at 1 not 0 the first boss monster has the ID 2
-Hardcore variant Monster will crash the game if you try to make it to an Ferocious Monster
-If you add Bosses to the quest (mine include 5 bosses, not 3 as the original quest) you have to add an 6. monster line with nothing in it.

In the pictures you can see which IDs I mean and where you find your Monster ID

If you don't change the original ID, the monster will never spawn in the quest

Now how did you managed to get the ID's of the variants? I can't seem to guess their actual ID. Unless its just the Normal ID on subspecies 1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?