ROM Hack [Release] MH Talisman Editor for MHXX MHX/MHGen MH4G/MH4U

kidasquid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone explain to me what I would need in order to get this working on my 3DS? I have been trying and I have no idea on where to begin. Thanks again in advance for the help!
Do you have homebrew enabled? That's step 1.
Step 2 is use JKSM to get your save file, called system, from your game.
Step 3 is to load the system file into this application, make your talisman, then save the system file.
Step 4 is to use JKSM to get your save file into your game.

Reactions: jc28735250

jc28735250

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone explain to me what I would need in order to get this working on my 3DS? I have been trying and I have no idea on where to begin. Thanks again in advance for the help!
This program is for Windows and is used to modify your save to edit the talismans (charms).
You need a 3DS APP capable of dumping MHX/MHGen saves (see this thread).

Olenhol

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hello, I have a problem.
I was editing my talismans for quite a while, with no problem at all.
But just now after exporting my savedata and trying to edit one of my talismans, editor pops out error about access denied. I was little confused so I tried to edit my backup, way WAAAAAAY older than my present save. Backup made first time I was editing, and same error Access denied. File is not READ-ONLY, and saveeditor (eq, itm.box, guildcard etc) works fine with both files but talisman editor only open file but can't save!
Redownload new version of editor, disabling antivirus didn't help.

************** Exception Text **************
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '08-23-2016_02-13-45' is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileInfo.Delete()
at MHX_Talisman_Editor.MainForm.saveChangesToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.MenuStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg

Its first part of long af errornote.

For me its black magic incantation. Any ideas how to fix this? (backup of my present "system" in rar)

Attachments

• backup17.rar
    130.1 KB · Views: 193
Last edited by Olenhol,

jc28735250

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I have a problem.
I was editing my talismans for quite a while, with no problem at all.
But just now after exporting my savedata and trying to edit one of my talismans, editor pops out error about access denied. I was little confused so I tried to edit my backup, way WAAAAAAY older than my present save. Backup made first time I was editing, and same error Access denied. File is not READ-ONLY, and saveeditor (eq, itm.box, guildcard etc) works fine with both files but talisman editor only open file but can't save!
Redownload new version of editor, disabling antivirus didn't help.

************** Exception Text **************
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '08-23-2016_02-13-45' is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileInfo.Delete()
at MHX_Talisman_Editor.MainForm.saveChangesToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.MenuStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg

Its first part of long af errornote.

For me its black magic incantation. Any ideas how to fix this? (backup of my present "system" in rar)

"08-23-2016_02-13-45" is the automatic backup the editor makes in the sub-directory "Backups" whenever you click the save button.
An access is denied error can occur if the editor does not have write access to that folder (Program files is notorious for this).
If you can't figure out why it's not able to write to the backups folder then just disable the automatic backup function via the Config file (see readme on how to do this)

Olenhol

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
"08-23-2016_02-13-45" is the automatic backup the editor makes in the sub-directory "Backups" whenever you click the save button.
An access is denied error can occur if the editor does not have write access to that folder (Program files is notorious for this).
If you can't figure out why it's not able to write to the backups folder then just disable the automatic backup function via the Config file (see readme on how to do this)

For some bloody reason that folder was empty I could not edit him at all. everything inside was hidden actually.
I could not remove that folder, rename , copy or anything until I forced it out in savemode.
I... have no darn idea WTF is that but my computer is now being scanned. Same sh*t happend with my mods files in TESV and with project-save-location folder in Planet Explorers like 2 weeks ago.
After forcing removal of this folder, I created new one and everything works fine.
Thx for fast respond!
You saved me another 5 hours of life on coal farming <3

Oh also I just say that both other folders I talked about are named "Backup"

Last edited by Olenhol,

Zinogre117

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you tell me which talisman are okay and which are not ?
Dragon talisman:dragon attack 10 + (only)
Dragon talisman:artillery 10 + (only or 15+)

jc28735250

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you tell me which talisman are okay and which are not ?
Dragon talisman:dragon attack 10 + (only)
Dragon talisman:artillery 10 + (only or 15+)

Make the talisman in the editor. If the numbers turn red and the message to the right says "skills over limit" then you know you've made an impossible talisman.
Reduce the numbers (and hit enter to confirm the change) until the message goes away.
Note that certain skills cannot appear in the first slot, so you should use the skill limit preview window (mouse over the skill table) to assist in your talisman creation planning.
Additionally, there are no rules limiting the combination of any skills; in other words, any 2 skills can be combined to form a talisman so long as they are within their skill limits for that talisman grade.

Now, whether or not the specific talisman you created can be actually obtained in-game through normal means is unknown; this tool only tells you if the game will reject the talisman outright.

Zinogre117

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make the talisman in the editor. If the numbers turn red and the message to the right says "skills over limit" then you know you've made an impossible talisman.
Reduce the numbers (and hit enter to confirm the change) until the message goes away.
Note that certain skills cannot appear in the first slot, so you should use the skill limit preview window (mouse over the skill table) to assist in your talisman creation planning.
Additionally, there are no rules limiting the combination of any skills; in other words, any 2 skills can be combined to form a talisman so long as they are within their skill limits for that talisman grade.

Now, whether or not the specific talisman you created can be actually obtained in-game through normal means is unknown; this tool only tells you if the game will reject the talisman outright.
Okay I understand how it works now,but how do you use the editor,I can't use it on windows 10 ?

jc28735250

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It says that it's a virus and whenever I download and try to run it,it automatically gets deleted

This is a known issue (see red notice on top of first post).
Windows defender is mis-identifying the binary as a virus and there's nothing I can do about it.
The workaround is to set an exception in Windows Defender and not scan the file.

jc28735250

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's flagging my Edge Lore +4 talismans as impossible in 4U, but they were generated legally.

Thanks for the report! Main post updated with new attachment.
The MH4G/MH4U skill limits were created using online wikis as a reference, and since the game doesn't check the talismans for validity the only way to validate those limits is to actually obtain new talisman in game.

LqD NiTR0G3N

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity I have a few questions about this program.

1) How do you get this to work with MH4U?
2) What happens if a skill is over limit? Does it not let you add/edit the talisman or what?
3) If a talisman was over limit, what would happen in game presuming the app lets you add them, does it cause errors or something or what?

Also thanks for the application, it's super useful and easy to use. I just wish I had more time to spend fiddling around with it.

jc28735250

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity I have a few questions about this program.

1) How do you get this to work with MH4U?
2) What happens if a skill is over limit? Does it not let you add/edit the talisman or what?
3) If a talisman was over limit, what would happen in game presuming the app lets you add them, does it cause errors or something or what?

Also thanks for the application, it's super useful and easy to use. I just wish I had more time to spend fiddling around with it.

My apologies for not responding to your questions; haven't been following this thread closely lately.

1. Select MH4G/MH4U mode in the top right drop-down selection, and load your (encrypted) save.
2. No, it just tells you that it thinks this talisman is illegal, but will go ahead and create it for you anyways.
3. Depends on the game. In MH4G/MH4U nothing happens; you can create whatever you like (Obviously you're on your own if you go online with this). In MHX/MHGen the talisman gets blanked out; no skills, no slots, and completely useless but won't crash your game or corrupt your save.

Reactions: LqD NiTR0G3N

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://puu.sh/te4fa/d444f08a62.png

I encounter this problem every time I attempt to load my save. What am I doing wrong?
the last option I can think of is you're using a non-US/non-JPN save (using an EU save, for example). Iirc, some other region saves have slightly different offsets. getting it temporarily converted (for editing purposes. Can be converted back later) should fix the issue if this is the case.

GunFlameFRC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the last option I can think of is you're using a non-US/non-JPN save (using an EU save, for example). Iirc, some other region saves have slightly different offsets. getting it temporarily converted (for editing purposes. Can be converted back later) should fix the issue if this is the case.

Nope. My copy is US.

I think I may just have really shit luck. Lol

jc28735250

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. My copy is US.

I think I may just have really shit luck. Lol
Are you trying to load a MH4U save?
In the screenshot the program is set to MHX/MHGen mode; you need to switch to MH4G/MH4U mode from the drop-down menu on the top-right.
If this is not the issue let me know.

Hellsjanitor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i have a problem, any time i load a save INTO the editor, its says "Failed to load save file: CORRUPT_SAVE"
but i know it isnt corrupt because of the fact that i tried loading that save again on my ds, fearing the worst, but is loads into the game just fine.

anyone else had this problem and how do i fix it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying