Hacking [RELEASE] GATEWAY PUBLIC RELEASE 2.4b

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
How can i create a new emunand partition on the new SD :D? did u mean recovery nand ?

just the way you set up the emuNAND partition on your old SD ... ...
hold L while you load the gateway exploit and you will see the GW menu, go to format emunand and your new SD will have an emunand partition on 4.X (whatever you sysNAND version is) .... (note: this will ofc format and hence delete all content on this SD card)
if you don't know that, then it makes me wonder, if you actually have an emuNAND set up on your current SD card?
gateway mode is NOT emuNAND, you have to actually set it up, it does not come automatically bundled with the launcher.dat

Reactions: keubibo

keubibo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
just the way you set up the emuNAND partition on your old SD ... ...
hold L while you load the gateway exploit and you will see the GW menu, go to format emunand and your new SD will have an emunand partition on 4.X (whatever you sysNAND version is) .... (note: this will ofc format and hence delete all content on this SD card)
if you don't know that, then it makes me wonder, if you actually have an emuNAND set up on your current SD card?
gateway mode is NOT emuNAND, you have to actually set it up, it does not come automatically bundled with the launcher.dat

oh i see, i will test this method xD but 1 more question, how can i inject the emunand parition from the old one via emunand_tool?, @_o what's "emunand_tool" la? i dun't get it. can u give me more detail :3 btw thanks so much

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
oh i see, i will test this method xD but 1 more question, how can i inject the emunand parition from the old one via emunand_tool?, @_o what's "emunand_tool" la? i dun't get it. can u give me more detail :3 btw thanks so much

http://gbatemp.net/threads/emunand-tool-release-and-support-thread.359239/
this tool can extract and inject emuNAND backups from and into emuNAND partitions on SD(HC) cards, read the first post in the link to see how it works

yet again I would like to repeat, when you create an emuNAND partition, you format the SD card, so back up your data

Reactions: keubibo

Roxas75

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can i ask a thing? Am i the only one who fails to update from 4.X to 9.0?
I mean, i formatted my nand and tryed to update, but it gives me an error in the middle of the progress bar...
When i tryed to update my 7.1 nand it worked, instead.

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can i ask a thing? Am i the only one who fails to update from 4.X to 9.0?
I mean, i formatted my nand and tryed to update, but it gives me an error in the middle of the progress bar...
When i tryed to update my 7.1 nand it worked, instead.

let the update download in standby mode or just in the background and when it is ready, don't update via popup message, but still via emuNAND settings

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I think I've found a bug in 2.4b (feel free to correct me if this is old news) But when in Gateway mode and you press select to bring up your rom list with the 3D depth slider off, when you turn the depth slider on, the rom select panel goes all fu*ked up, in a pain-to-your-eyeballs kind of way.

If you press select with 3ds depth slider on, the rom select menu is normal.

yeah, it was also on 2.2..i wish they make rom list into a 4x4 grid....
And even that's most likely not 100% true, cause 2.4b isn't a regular release, it only fixes emuNAND. GBA VC support will be included in the major release after the next major release, i.e. the major release after the release, which contains the new savegame and cheat stuff.

please tell me just what Beta actually means in firmwares??

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Also, it's been explained multiple times that when exiting smash bros, you get sent back to the normal screen. It's not a bug. Even people who own legit copies of the game it happens to.

its not a bug that exiting SSB kicks you back to system NAND?? so theres nothing to fix? ..but other games dont kick you from emunand to systemnand when closing them

draxen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its not a bug that exiting SSB kicks you back to system NAND?? so theres nothing to fix? ..but other games dont kick you from emunand to systemnand when closing them

I believe that SSB uses a new memory mode. It uses memory that is typically reserved for the Home screen menu/system. That's why the system resets when you exit SSB because it needs to regain the memory to load the Home/system.
It's not a bug, it's a method of optimization to make the game run better/more smoothly.

Reactions: Metoroid0

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

there IS a fix..... buy a N3DS(XL) + the game XD
the N3DS has more ram and as such won't need to reallocate OS ram to the game
our poor old 3DS(XL) just don't have enough ram, as draxen already explained, so when you leave the game, it actually has to boot up the system menu again, sending you back to sysNAND, if you are on emuNAND
even if you use a retail copy on an unmoddified 3DS, it still has to reboot into the system menu again :-)

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there IS a fix..... buy a N3DS(XL) + the game XD
the N3DS has more ram and as such won't need to reallocate OS ram to the game
our poor old 3DS(XL) just don't have enough ram, as draxen already explained, so when you leave the game, it actually has to boot up the system menu again, sending you back to sysNAND, if you are on emuNAND
even if you use a retail copy on an unmoddified 3DS, it still has to reboot into the system menu again :-)

You can go into the camera/photo app (which will close Smash Bros) then exit the app. No reboot, no needing a new system, just an additional step or two. This suggests it should have been possible for Smash Bros to not require a reboot on closing directly, even on regular 3DS/XL systems, even though it runs in this new mode that needs more memory. I still wouldn't call it a bug, but possibly just something they didn't bother to look into, since really, if you're using a retail cart on a non-gateway system, it really doesn't affect you if it's rebooting or just closing, you still wind up at that same screen. Its only us with emuNANDs getting "hassled" by this (minor) issue.

Reactions: Metoroid0

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You can go into the camera/photo app (which will close Smash Bros) then exit the app. No reboot, no needing a new system, just an additional step or two. This suggests it should have been possible for Smash Bros to not require a reboot on closing directly, even on regular 3DS/XL systems, even though it runs in this new mode that needs more memory. I still wouldn't call it a bug, but possibly just something they didn't bother to look into, since really, if you're using a retail cart on a non-gateway system, it really doesn't affect you if it's rebooting or just closing, you still wind up at that same screen. Its only us with emuNANDs getting "hassled" by this (minor) issue.

yeah I know, everyone knows this, who frequently vacates this site, however the time you "save" by loading up the camera app is so low compared to just booting up emuNAND again, that it doesn't really matter which option you choose

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Honestly, the most useful purpose the themes serve is to inform you whether or not you're in EmuNAND.

It was already pretty easy to spot, just had to leave the system nand with one line row icons and put a three columns icons on emunand. I had also added a "Emunand" directory which was shown as a folder with a "E", to know that I was on emunand.

Though it's a nice addition for emunand.

About the GBA games, they said "we'll TRY to make them work on the next firmware". They never said they will definitively make them work one day.

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't wait to try the save manager they've been talking about ... I hope we can convert saves from a region to another.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi, how can i avoid to lose those content?
The last time i've updated the emunand i lost the Dark Notes of Theatrhythm.
Thank you.

Heh i wish i knew, i can tell you how i lost mine though.

I was switching sd card in 3ds for a bigger/faster one.
1. I've copied all the previous sd card data on my pc.
2. I've formated my new sd card inside my 3ds - i'm guessing that might have triggered something like nintendo deciding old sd is invalid and so is the data from it.
3. I've created new emunand partition in gateway menu
4. I've copied back all the backed up data from my pc to my new sd card.
5. I've updated emunand
6. I've realized i lost all my streetpass data.
7. Tried switching back to old card but my data was still lost..

aside from that:
Also some games like pokemon y keep saves inside the rom file so don't delete those roms rather keep them backed up. I've also made that mistake.
Oh and your data gets corrupted if you add new signature to a rom file, some games simply remove the previous save file without asking (harvest moon new begining) so it's also a good idea to back up your saves before playing around.

That's pretty much mine experience related to problems with illogical nintendo save data keeping.

That's also why i suggested using a tool to copy nand rather than format and create new one on 3ds.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Beats me, whatever tools are there recommended. I think there are topics in here, either way i'm guessing the loss was caused by formating new card inside 3ds. At least seems like most likely reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision the new...