ROM Hack [RELEASE] Fantasy Life Save Viewer/Editor

Ultimarok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out.

By the way, does TheDekay or whoever made the online/web editor plan to finally unlock the item and friendship editing section?

Last edited by Ultimarok,
D

Deleted User

My problem with this game has been how easy it can be at times. Even if you play legit, once you start becoming powerful you will stomp nearly everything.

Is is possible to change the values of enemies? To make them deal more damage, to make them move faster, to increase their aggressive behaviour? Currently I can run in naked and clear everything without getting hit. It would be awesome if this game could be made (much) harder.

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fantasy Life saves as EXT data (on the SD) and not Save Data (on the game cartridge/a different location on the SD if digital). JKSM's exported file is formatted different that what the editors are looking for, so you wont be abl;e to edit properly despite the exported save still being valid to use for re-importing via JKSM.
Just for the sake of clarity, JKSV does not have a "save format." It backs up the files as they are. Which is exactly what pretty much everything else does. (Just the program in the first post has the obvious advantage of going straight to this game's files without passing through anything else along the way. So faster in that respect, but more clutter to deal with if you're installing a bunch of different and separate save backup utilities.) The real problem is just that it backs them up into folders based on the game's name string. In Fantasy Life's case, that includes a "™" (TM symbol) single character ("Fantasy_Life™".) Obviously this save editor does not use Unicode as any modern program really should as just a given at this point. Simply copying the file out of that folder to one with no special characters anywhere in the path (say, for instance, "C:\3DS\Save Editors\Fantasy Life\" or something of the sort) will work fine. (Of note here, the instructions actually tell you to put the save files in the editor's folder. While this isn't required, if one followed the instructions this issue would be bypassed unless the save editor were put in a folder with such a character itself which I suspect is quite unlikely.) The web-based editor is a lot more complete though, so I won't deny that it's the better choice between the two. (Plus most browsers use Unicode for very obvious reasons, so have no problems with that path.) I just want to be clear because people shouldn't be scared away from using JKSV in general just because of a confusing and misleading error message with an editor. If some particular bug causes some particular problem that's one thing, but this is just the editor not opening the file correctly.

It's too bad people rely so much on NTR though. Even with CFWs NTR can be a bit of a pain to deal with. Luma is already offering a much better and more compatible method, but really, there's just no beating the convenience of an actual save editor sometimes. Cheat plugins tend to only do extremes. For instance, completely maxing out a stat rather that letting you simply tweak it a bit. It's rare that one gives you a lot of options. I guess mostly people just don't play this game much anymore, but I've found it to be a great one to come back to from time to time. Lol, perhaps what we all need is for some sort of template for a save editor to be created where all anyone has to do to customize for a particular game is plug in offsets and what they mean. Perhaps even in such a way where the editor itself is universal (rather than merely a template for editors to be customized from it) and you just give it configuration files for particular games. Now that would be a worthy project and so far beyond any sort of programming ability I might have it's not even funny (anyone want to jump in on that?)

Last edited by Nazosan,
Reactions: -Xin-

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is one of those games that people come back to from time to time and still have fun with it, so yes, I think people will appreciate you doing that.

I don't suppose an offline version is possible though?

karikatourea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I have an issue with the editor. It can't load my .fsd save files, I get the "Invalid filename. Press ok to ignore and risk data corruption. Press cancel to kill the program". Even if I press ok, it still won't load the file, and if I cancel I simply exit, no suprises here.

Last edited by karikatourea,

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's in a directory with the "trademark" character, try taking it out of that directory before loading it. Just copy it out, edit, and then copy in the edited file when done.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been looking all over for a way to change the character's voice but haven't found anything so far. Is it just not possible?

Edit: In case anyone else cares, I found it. I don't really know how to write it out, but in a hex editor open the save file and go to offset 0001FAC0, and change the 9th byte (08). It seems the voices go in order starting from 00, since cute was "01".

Last edited by Edgarska,

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been looking all over for a way to change the character's voice but haven't found anything so far. Is it just not possible?

Edit: In case anyone else cares, I found it. I don't really know how to write it out, but in a hex editor open the save file and go to offset 0001FAC0, and change the 9th byte (08). It seems the voices go in order starting from 00, since cute was "01".
1.) get the DLC (I'll leave the specific means up to you. If you have CFW, money wouldn't necessarily an issue in that case)
2.) start the origin island story
3.) use either the Angelic Mirror (bought with Lunares Coins) or the makeover lady in the Forest Shrine

Last edited by iSharingan,

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.) get the DLC (I'll leave the specific means up to you. If you have CFW, money wouldn't necessarily an issue in that case)
2.) start the origin island story
3.) use either the Angelic Mirror (bought with Lunares Coins) or the makeover lady in the Forest Shrine
I knew about changing it later, but the problem was that the voice was so annoying I didn't want to keep playing it like that. It's fixed now anyway.

Zalexard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Bit of a necro, but I'm in need of some assistance. I tried changing an item using the online editor, but the item remained the same. Changing quantities and money works like intended, and while in game it doesn't show the changes taking effect regarding the changed item, if I open the save using the online editor again, the item will appear changed. Am I missing some sort of trick I should be using or anything? Or I shouldn't be trying to transform items into others?

For the record, I tried changing spring water or some other crafting material to life cure, in case it matters.

Thanks!

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bit of a necro, but I'm in need of some assistance. I tried changing an item using the online editor, but the item remained the same. Changing quantities and money works like intended, and while in game it doesn't show the changes taking effect regarding the changed item, if I open the save using the online editor again, the item will appear changed. Am I missing some sort of trick I should be using or anything? Or I shouldn't be trying to transform items into others?

For the record, I tried changing spring water or some other crafting material to life cure, in case it matters.

Thanks!
when an item is removed from your inventory, the slot isn't deleted or cleared (the items are just rearranged and the currently used inventory slots count decreases). Check your save again as there's probably another similar/identical entry where the item was 'moved' to when items were shifted due to selling/eating/using/etc. other items.

for that specific change, just buy a single life cure in the in-game shop, then set all stacks of life cures you find in the save editor to 99 or whatever.

jedixscum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the file is encrypted on the SD. you need homebrew access minimum to be able to export it for editing

Would I be able to use someone else's save if they were to export it through JKSM and I import it to my 3DS through JKSM? Just asking because I recently lost my save and I really don't want to play through the entire story again.

Last edited by jedixscum,

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would I be able to use someone else's save if they were to export it through JKSM and I import it to my 3DS through JKSM? Just asking because I recently lost my save and I really don't want to play through the entire story again.
yes actually, though as far as the 'story' goes, you can chose 'anything but fight' at every story fight and skip literally all combat outside breaking doomstones (jsut run past enemies when crossing the map. most of the story removes enemies on newly enetyered maps, anyway). its actually quite funny what the characters say at times when you do this, too. By the end you'll be level 18-20 just from the story exp. Unless you just edit your exp to 129,850+ (will get you to level 50), playing as Cook and simply buying the materials and cooking can get you enough exp to get to level 50 rather quickly. At that point you can repeat the 'pacifist' method to skip the DLC story too. It should take less than an hour to skip the main story and another 30 minutes on the DLC story.

jedixscum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes actually, though as far as the 'story' goes, you can chose 'dont fight' for every option and skip literally all combat outside breaking doomstones. by the end you'll be level 18-20 just form the story exp. Unless you just edit your exp to 129,850+ (will get you to level 50), playing as Cook and simply buying the materials and cooking can get you enough exp to get to level 50 rather quickly. At that point you can repeat the 'pacifist' method to skip the DLC story too. It should take less than an hour to skip the main story and another 30 minutes on the DLC story.

I was actually wanting to play the DLC as that's where I was before I lost my save. Thank you for the tips, maybe I'll put some more time into playing it over to get to the DLC. Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think