Restoring Tomodachi Life save?

Roctivels

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hey guys I don't know if this is even possible to achieve but, I thought I still might try to ask
(Please excuse my English, it's not my native language)

So a few years ago (2017/18-ish) I got Tomodachi Life (Cartridge Version) and played it A LOT. Some time in 2020 (I think?) I deleted my save file to start a new one, as far as I can remember.
I stopped playing after a while, but picked it up again this week.
I think a little bit before 2020 I got a used 3DS and tried transferring my 2DS files to my 3DS using the official "Nintendo Transfer Tool" (I think you had to download it from the e-shop) and vice-versa.
Of course this didn't work both ways because you can only do it one way as far as I know.
So now, I had my 2DS data on my 3DS. Tomodachi worked as expected because as far as I know, the save data is saved on the cartridge.
A year later or so, I did the same thing again, but now transferred my 3DS data back to the 2DS because the 3DS started having hardware related issues.
Shortly after that, I modded my 2DS, everything went smoothly no problems.
Fast forward to now: I booted Tomodachi Life up (on my 2DS), deleted my 2020 save file and began a new one (we will call this the 2023 version).
Yesterday I booted up my 3DS, with no intention of doing anything with it really, while my 2DS was booted into Tomodachi Life.
And for some reason that is still unclear to me, a traveler from my original 2017 save got sent via StreetPass to my 2023 island.
This surprised me because why would the traveler still exist if I deleted that save file three years ago?
After that I went digging through my SD-Cards (both the one in the 3DS and the one in my 2DS).
And i found one or two folders with the Title-ID of Tomodachi Life, one contained a save file and it dated back to 2020 (according to Windows) and I think that's right before I deleted my original 2017 save. (my 3DS SD Card didn't contain any saves though)

So my question is, is this still recoverable, I did some research and what confused me, apparently Tomodachi Life saves are saved in a completely different way (in the form of text files)

FYI: I never did a backup using Checkpoint and yes, I tried using a save editor but this obviously didn't work because it expected a .txt file.
Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated!:)

D:\Nintendo 3DS\752af5199b87ed3fa2a5c6d689aa374f\7c2d00b14760a833534430320002544d\title\00040000\0008c400\data\00000001.sav
This is the location on my SD Card btw and as you can see the title ID "0008c400" is present, which is the exact title ID that Tomodachi Life has (the EU version at least, I don't know about the other ones)

Last edited by Roctivels,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And for some reason that is still unclear to me, a traveler from my original 2017 save got sent via StreetPass to my 2023 island.
This surprised because why would the traveler still exist if i deleted that save file three years ago?
So this is the major reason for your question? Streetpass data is stored separately from normal save data and this is not necessarily an indication that your old save data is somehow recoverable.

FYI: I never did a backup using Checkpoint and yes, I tried using a save editor but this obviously didn't work because it expected a .txt file.
You need to use Checkpoint to get files that you can access with a save editor.

Reactions: Roctivels

Roctivels

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
So this is the major reason for your question? Streetpass data is stored separately from normal save data and this is not necessarily an indication that your old save data is somehow recoverable.

You need to use Checkpoint to get files that you can access with a save editor.
Oh, okay, that answers my question, thanks a lot!:D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I really didn't like playing online against other people always felt like I was being matched...