• Views 228,936
  • Replies 961
  • Likes 87

GBHAKC75

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The indicator is already in there (bottom of the menu). I'll think about adding information about the size, too. And feature request are okay on both. Thanks for testing!

I feel dumb x).

Restoration is in progress, the check passed just fine. However, just one little thing I want to point out : Since EmuNAND9 and Decrypt9 now have subfolders, they don't see each other backups. That's not really convenient to be honest, even if you don't need to use EmuNAND9 everyday, I guess.

And we don't really know from the program if we're using a full sized (from conversion, for example) or min sized RedNAND.

But that's just details. You did a great work, thanks a lot !

EDIT : Restoration done, the system doesn't boot, it stays on a black screen after AuReiNAND splash. I'll try with Cakes in case of an AuReiNAND issue.
EDIT2 : Same with Cakes. EmuNAND restoration is broken (using the same backup as before, so it's not the problem).

Also, restoration to RedNAND with EmuNAND9 seems to restore "1240MB". Shouldn't it be lighter ?

EDIT3 : Well, same problem with "Inject file to RedNAND" using EmuNAND9 : black screen after AuReiNAND splash screen. There's something wrong...
"Inject file to EmuNAND" worked fine. RedNAND features seems to be broken.

Last edited by GBHAKC75,

frosty5689

Trophies
XP
Country
I feel dumb x).

Restoration is in progress, the check passed just fine. However, just one little thing I want to point out : Since EmuNAND9 and Decrypt9 now have subfolders, they don't see each other backups. That's not really convenient to be honest, even if you don't need to use EmuNAND9 everyday, I guess.

And we don't really know from the program if we're using a full sized (from conversion, for example) or min sized RedNAND.

But that's just details. You did a great work, thanks a lot !

EDIT : Restoration done, the system doesn't boot, it stays on a black screen after AuReiNAND splash. I'll try with Cakes in case of an AuReiNAND issue.
EDIT2 : Same with Cakes. EmuNAND restoration is broken (using the same backup as before, so it's not the problem).

Also, restoration to RedNAND with EmuNAND9 seems to restore "1240MB". Shouldn't it be lighter ?

EDIT3 : Well, same problem with "Inject file to RedNAND" using EmuNAND9 : black screen after AuReiNAND splash screen. There's something wrong...
"Inject file to EmuNAND" worked fine. RedNAND features seems to be broken.
Are you using AuReiNand with prepatched firmware option turned on? Try deleting the patched firmware file from aurei folder and let it regenerate. I had the blackscreen problem and tried a lot of different things (like older EmuNAND9 releases). Seems like deleting that patched firmware file from aurei folder worked.

Reactions: d0k3 and GBHAKC75

GBHAKC75

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Are you using AuReiNand with prepatched firmware option turned on? Try deleting the patched firmware file from aurei folder and let it regenerate. I had the blackscreen problem and tried a lot of different things (like older EmuNAND9 releases). Seems like deleting that patched firmware file from aurei folder worked.

Wow, nice catch ! I might take a look of why it doesn't work if I've time, since I don't see why the firmware would be EmuNAND format different. I used EmuNAND to RedNAND conversion, it worked fine.

Now I'll retry a full setup with Decrypt9 restoration.

frosty5689

Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, nice catch ! I might take a look of why it doesn't work if I've time, since I don't see why the firmware would be EmuNAND format different. I used EmuNAND to RedNAND conversion, it worked fine.

Now I'll retry a full setup with Decrypt9 restoration.
Yeah. I'm not entirely sure either...

If that doesn't work. Try doing sdformat with no EmuNand and then sdformat (min-size). That is what I did last before trying removing the prepatched firmware file.

Edit: I compared the MD5 of patched_firmware_emu.bin before with GW EmuNAND to now with RedNAND.

old: 199c79b52708ca03b5a10d89c9c952d4

new: 06dbd44e1aa8e0180cc17687f8445de5

Not sure why this file is different between GW EmuNAND and RedNAND...

Last edited by frosty5689,

TUK_Pyroman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello! I've a problem for running EMUNAND9...
I'm on 2DS 10.6 and want to do a Sysnand Backup via OoTHax.
When i choose EMUNAND9 in the HomeBrew Launcher Menu,
the two screens turn black, after 1 second, bottom screen become red, next it turn black, after it's red again,
and finally i'm come back in the HBLMenu...

What can I do?

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I've a problem for running EMUNAND9...
I'm on 2DS 10.6 and want to do a Sysnand Backup via OoTHax.
When i choose EMUNAND9 in the HomeBrew Launcher Menu,
the two screens turn black, after 1 second, bottom screen become red, next it turn black, after it's red again,
and finally i'm come back in the HBLMenu...

What can I do?
Update your homebrew launcher boot.3dsx and don't run it from emunand. Had the exact same thing yesterday.

TUK_Pyroman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Update your homebrew launcher boot.3dsx and don't run it from emunand. Had the exact same thing yesterday.
Thanks, but I don't have Emunand, only Sysnand, I try to downgrade from 10.6 to 9.2, and i want to do a backup before proceed...
But I just read that's impossible without hardware mod...

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, but I don't have Emunand, only Sysnand, I try to downgrade from 10.6 to 9.2, and i want to do a backup before proceed...
The thing is that if you don't want to hardmod, you need to be on 9.2 to make a backup.
So hardmod or downgrade without backup.

Anyway, unless you're not able to boot recovery mode after a wrong downgrade, you can always update to 10.7 and try again

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The thing is that if you don't want to hardmod, you need to be on 9.2 to make a backup.
So hardmod or downgrade without backup.

Anyway, unless you're not able to boot recovery mode after a wrong downgrade, you can always update to 10.7 and try again
A classic catch-22 :). You will have to make the leap of faith, I guess.

Reactions: Doopl and Arubaro

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh then, you can't run EmuNAND9 on 10.6 sysnand. It just doesn't work. You absolutely need the downgrade before. Only possibility to dump your nand is a hardmod.

MegaBoyEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm about to setup a SD card with 2 emunands using the MultiEmuNAND Tool (https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-3ds-multi-emunand-creator.381603/)

How does emunand9 handles a multi-emunand environment? I'm able to select which emunand can I backup/restore, or it's not even supported at all?

If not supported, can this tool damage my SD content, or it will only recognize the 1st emunand and handle it correctly?

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Formats SD cards according to official recommendations for better performance & longer lifetime

I'm sure this has been asked before but should we all reformat our cards using EmuNAND9, then?

traneupcqk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I'm sorry but.....

I have successfully downgraded my Japan N3ds LL from 9.9 to 9.1
Now I first wanted to create emuNand. But when i ran EmuNand9 in homebrew menu it actually opened the app. And then i got redscreen, the app quit at once and kicked me to homebrew menu. Just as TUK_Pyroman said above.

I still have no emuNAND, just only downgraded to 9.1, still no CFW, only sysNAND.
Did i miss something ?

p/s: I did copy boot.3ds from rxTools to my SDCARD, replaced the old one. I think this might be a reason.
So how can i get the original boot.3ds back ?

p/s 2: I have read some information that my downgrade was not successful though i'm at 9.1 right now. This might also be the reason why i couldn't get into EmuNand9. Should i do downgrade again :( ??

Last edited by traneupcqk,

Semani

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just want to make sure I understand properly before going through the steps for redNAND. I'm currently using GW emuNAND with a 1.8gb NAND file N3DSXL. If I back up my emuNAND, and do a fresh format of my SD card as a redNAND, will I be able to convert/restore my emuNAND backup as a redNAND, saving the 500mb of storage and keeping all my emuNAND settings and installed files intact?

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm about to setup a SD card with 2 emunands using the MultiEmuNAND Tool (https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-3ds-multi-emunand-creator.381603/)

How does emunand9 handles a multi-emunand environment? I'm able to select which emunand can I backup/restore, or it's not even supported at all?

If not supported, can this tool damage my SD content, or it will only recognize the 1st emunand and handle it correctly?
EmuNAND9 does not handle multi EmuNAND, and it will only handle your first EmuNAND. It will also never damage your SD content, unless you tell it to format (in which case the SD contents are wiped). Decryp9WIP (my signature) handles Multi EmuNAND, so use this for that.

I'm sure this has been asked before but should we all reformat our cards using EmuNAND9, then?
That depends. I assume you used GW to do the format before? GW wastes a ton of space for N3DS EmuNANDs, and I'm pretty sure the placement of the data is off. The placement of the FAT is okay, though. If you want to know more about this, read here. In any case. you should use the official SD card formatter for SD cards (when formatting in Windows) and EmuNAND9 (when formatting on console). Now, should you make the switch? The performance difference between a perfectly formatted SD card vs one formatted in the worst possible way can be a lot. It most likely isn't though, you'd have to deliberately format the card in a bad way, but you can easily lower the lifetime of your SD card by ~50% with bad formatting. I'd recommend making the switch, if you can stomach all the backup work involved.

I'm sorry but.....

I have successfully downgraded my Japan N3ds LL from 9.9 to 9.1
Now I first wanted to create emuNand. But when i ran EmuNand9 in homebrew menu it actually opened the app. And then i got redscreen, the app quit at once and kicked me to homebrew menu. Just as TUK_Pyroman said above.

I still have no emuNAND, just only downgraded to 9.1, still no CFW, only sysNAND.
Did i miss something ?

p/s: I did copy boot.3ds from rxTools to my SDCARD, replaced the old one. I think this might be a reason.
So how can i get the original boot.3ds back ?

p/s 2: I have read some information that my downgrade was not successful though i'm at 9.1 right now. This might also be the reason why i couldn't get into EmuNand9. Should i do downgrade again :( ??
Yup, your downgrade is partially failed. Better ask somewhere people know about these things, I never did a downgrade and I wasn't involved in any downgrade software either.

I just want to make sure I understand properly before going through the steps for redNAND. I'm currently using GW emuNAND with a 1.8gb NAND file N3DSXL. If I back up my emuNAND, and do a fresh format of my SD card as a redNAND, will I be able to convert/restore my emuNAND backup as a redNAND, saving the 500mb of storage and keeping all my emuNAND settings and installed files intact?
Just do the full RedNAND setup, then restore your EmuNAND backup, done. Nothing will be different, granted you use a RedNAND compatible CFW.

Reactions: Doopl

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Any plans to bring multi EmuNAND support to EmuNAND9 ? That would be pretty awesome.
No, this won't be in EmuNAND9, as it would only complicate things and public interest in multi EmuNAND was never that big either (when I was thinking about it earlier I didn't even find people to test). Plus, cloning from SysNAND is slow on 3DS, and with a Multi EmuNAND you can't save space anyways (as offsets on the SD card are fixed for Multi EmuNANDs). You will have to do the first setup in Multi EmuNAND Creator (I also think that is the more painless / faster option), and for restoring / backup there is still D9.

GBHAKC75

Trophies
XP
Country
France
No, this won't be in EmuNAND9, as it would only complicate things and public interest in multi EmuNAND was never that big either (when I was thinking about it earlier I didn't even find people to test). Plus, cloning from SysNAND is slow on 3DS, and with a Multi EmuNAND you can't save space anyways (as offsets on the SD card are fixed for Multi EmuNANDs). You will have to do the first setup in Multi EmuNAND Creator (I also think that is the more painless / faster option), and for restoring / backup there is still D9.

I understand. I think that's a really great feature, but I guess that makes sense.
Too bad the offsets are hardcoded, though. It would have been much better if we had something like a partition table for EmuNANDs in the first bytes of SD card... That would have made variable size and multiple EmuNAND way easier.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
That depends. I assume you used GW to do the format before? GW wastes a ton of space for N3DS EmuNANDs, and I'm pretty sure the placement of the data is off. The placement of the FAT is okay, though. If you want to know more about this, read here. In any case. you should use the official SD card formatter for SD cards (when formatting in Windows) and EmuNAND9 (when formatting on console). Now, should you make the switch? The performance difference between a perfectly formatted SD card vs one formatted in the worst possible way can be a lot. It most likely isn't though, you'd have to deliberately format the card in a bad way, but you can easily lower the lifetime of your SD card by ~50% with bad formatting. I'd recommend making the switch, if you can stomach all the backup work involved.

I don't mind the backup work and don't mind reformatting, but don't particularly want to make a new EmuNAND. Will it suffice to back up the EmuNAND and all the files, format the SD, then restore the existing EmuNAND?

I can't switch to RedNAND anyway because I do very occasionally use my Gateway.

Last edited by sj33,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COua5q4CByg