Homebrew Official [Release] EmuNAND9 - Open Source EmuNAND Formatter & Manager

• Thread starter d0k3
  • Start date
  • Views 229,517
  • Replies 961
  • Likes 87
D

Deleted User

Super Floppy usually shows up if it's removable and either has a corrupted/missing MBR.

Out of curiosity, if you use diskpart and run a clean on the SD, then format/create partition, does E9 still error out?

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi d0k3,

Great program! Can you add ability to format in 64kb cluster?Is that possible? Is there a simple change I can make to source to enable 64kb format?

Last edited by democracy,

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Floppy usually shows up if it's removable and either has a corrupted/missing MBR.

Out of curiosity, if you use diskpart and run a clean on the SD, then format/create partition, does E9 still error out?

Yep, still errors out, i even did a clean all on it, then when that failed, I did a clean all and used HxD to erase the beginning of the drive so it was all zeroed out then formatted it as fat32 32KB allocation unit.

as soon as I put it in, EmuNAND9 detected it as Unknown file system already formatted for EmuNAND. how is this even possible, the SD card was zeroed out. It is impossible for it to have known it was already formatted for EmuNAND.

EDIT:
Once it is done failing on EmuNAND9, Partition Master shows it as a super floppy again.

Last edited by driverdis,
D

Deleted User

Interesting, I'm curious before/after the E9, if you hash the SD, are they different?

Do you have another console to try it in? (Tried the 4GB microSD and regular SD that came with the consoles and was able to use E9 okay from A9LH)

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting, I'm curious before/after the E9, if you hash the SD, are they different?

Do you have another console to try it in? (Tried the 4GB microSD and regular SD that came with the consoles and was able to use E9 okay from A9LH)

I am using an original 3DS
it fails on my original 3DS XL also the same way.

the SD is different, it was not a super floppy before and now is a super floppy. I can't hash them now as I am trying again.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am officially lost here. I have no idea why this is not working and anything I do ends in failure.
EDIT
I Switched SD Cards and it works fine now with a 16GB MicroSD.

Last edited by driverdis,

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am officially lost here. I have no idea why this is not working and anything I do ends in failure.
EDIT
I Switched SD Cards and it works fine now with a 16GB MicroSD.
Yeah, that's one thing I'd have suggested to you. Here are two test builds, that you can try:

Number one:
https://up1.ca/#vgFO8lneUBqOObGNKfurZA

Number two:
https://up1.ca/#4CweBvmf87_HG7DpCoANUQ

Just note, as you already noticed, the 3DS internal card reader doesn't play nice with some SD cards, and there may not be much that you can do about it. If everything is fine with that 16GB card, you may just stay with it.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
both fail, test2 says SD format failure.
I guess we won't get that sorted out, or we will need more cases such as this for research. It is possible that this SD card has certain errors that keep it from being properly formatted, it is also possible that the 3DS card reader just does not like that card.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess we won't get that sorted out, or we will need more cases such as this for research. It is possible that this SD card has certain errors that keep it from being properly formatted, it is also possible that the 3DS card reader just does not like that card.

I think it is the 3DS card reader that is the cause.
The card worked fine for a Wii to Wii U transfer and is able to be formatted correctly on PC by the SD Association SD Formatter, Windows Formatter, and EaseUS Partition Manager.

diskpart also can run clean and clean all properly on the SD Card. I verified this via HxD Hex Editor.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi d0k3,

Great program! Can you add ability to format in 64kb cluster?Is that possible? Is there a simple change I can make to source to enable 64kb format?
Fat 32 64kb cluster support?
FATFS insists on deciding about the cluster size on itself (depending on card size). You can change this, but you'd need to dive deep into the FATFS source code.

Reactions: democracy

Dakota Worzella

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EmuNAND9
Open source EmuNAND SD formatter & manager for the 3DS console
aka. "The final nail in the coffin of GW software for GW non-owners"

Main Version:

View attachment 32810 View attachment 32811View attachment 32812

Download: https://github.com/d0k3/EmuNAND9/releases
Source Code: https://github.com/d0k3/EmuNAND9

Alternative UI version:

36b4a01343.png
e74ceac0d0.png
882f6d7e9c.png

Download: https://github.com/Shadowtrance/EmuNAND9/releases
Source Code: https://github.com/Shadowtrance/EmuNAND9

How to run this?
You can only use this if your 3DS FW is <= 9.2. There are multiple ways of running this:
  • CakeHax - use EmuNAND9.dat, EmuNAND9.nds for MSET is included
  • Homebrew Launcher - use EmuNAND9.3dsx to run this from Homebrew Launcher
  • Gateway 4.x browser exploit - use Launcher.dat
  • Bootstrap / Brahma - use EmuNAND9.bin
What can this do?
Actually, a lot! See this incomplete list:
  • Completely setup a fresh SD card for EmuNAND, including cloning SysNAND to EmuNAND
  • Autosetup of a homebrew starter pack
  • Clone your SysNAND to your EmuNAND, at any time, without wiping SD data
  • Make backups of your SysNAND and EmuNAND
  • Inject these backups back into EmuNAND (without wiping SD data)
  • Convert a RedNAND to a GW type EmuNAND (without wiping SD data)
  • Format an SD card without EmuNAND / remove an existing EmuNAND
But why is this better than GW software?
EmuNAND9 is better than GW software for a number of reasons:
  • Open source, licensed under the GPL v2
  • Formats SD cards according to official recommendations for better performance & longer lifetime
  • Bigger functionality - see the list above
  • Includes a number of safety measures to make it idiot proof
  • Has more ways of running than GW software (HB Launcher, anyone?)
  • Doesn't require a PC to setup a fresh SD card
Additional info
As written above, this includes a number of safety measures to make it as idiot proof as possible. However, this is a powerful tool. It can wipe your SD card and it can overwrite your EmuNAND. You will be warned every step along the way, but it lies in the hands of the user to actually read the text on screen and to react accordingly.

Starter pack contents
As a new feature, EmuNAND9 contains the ability to transfer a starter pack to your newly formatted SD card. The starter pack is in the file called 'starter.bin'. This file can be either a boot.3dsx or a Launcher.dat, but you have to rename it to 'starter.bin' for it work. EmuNAND9 will detect the type of 'starter.bin' automatically and name it accordingly when transfering to the formatted SD card. The maximum size of 'starter.bin' is 16MB.

The 'starter.bin' included with EmuNAND9 is an extended version of smealums homebrew starter pack (from https://smealum.github.io/ninjhax2/). It was converted to a 3DS compatible self extracting ZIP archive using ZIP3DSFX (https://github.com/d0k3/ZIP3DSFX). ZIP3DSFX doesn't have a graphical user interface at the moment, but you can use the simple batch script included in the release archive to convert any ZIP archive to your personal .3DSX self extracting ZIP archive. You can also open the starter.bin in any ZIP archiver.

The starter.bin contains the following homebrew software:
  • Gridlauncher by mashers (instead of regular HB launcher)
  • MenuHax Manager by Yellows8
  • HANS by smealum
  • CHMM2 by Rinnegatamante
  • ftBrony by mtheall
  • mGBA by endrift
  • Playcoin Setter by MrCheeze
  • FBI by SteveIce10
  • svdt by meladroit
  • uncart by Archshift & others
  • CTRXplorer by d0k3
  • Decrypt9 by Archshift & d0k3
  • EmuNAND9 by d0k3
  • ReiNAND CFW by reisyukaku (without the evil firmware.bin file)
  • CakesFW by mid-kid (you need to get some files yourself)
  • MiniPasta by zoogie

Credits
  • Archshift for the basic code behind this
  • Cha(N), Kane49, and all other FatFS contributors for FatFS
  • Normmatt for sdmmc.c as well as project infrastructure (Makefile, linker setup, etc)
  • Shadowtrance for the UI version
  • dark_samus3, Datalogger and countless others for helping me test this
I really like this program. It has helped me a lot in the past. One question though. I am thinking of installing a9lh, but I need to downgrade to get the OTP files for my 3ds. Problem is that I have friends in my friends list and I have had my code changed multiple times from formatting and telling them those codes. I don't want to go through the hassle of telling everyone my code and giving a made up reason as to why. Finally to the question, when I dump emunand to emunand.bin, does it also dump the friends list data and if so, when I restore the .bin, will all of my friends in my friends list still be there?

EDIT: Also, if I wanted to restore a emunand backup from a new 3ds to an old 3ds or via versa, would that work or would it have to be the same type of 3ds (I have reinand and he has cakes)

Last edited by Dakota Worzella,

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Finally to the question, when I dump emunand to emunand.bin, does it also dump the friends list data and if so, when I restore the .bin, will all of my friends in my friends list still be there?
The NAND backup contains everything. Restoring it means going back to exact same state.

EDIT: Also, if I wanted to restore a emunand backup from a new 3ds to an old 3ds or via versa, would that work or would it have to be the same type of 3ds (I have reinand and he has cakes)
You can only restore a NAND backup to the exact same 3DS it came from. Try something else, and you'll get bricked.

Reactions: Dakota Worzella

Dakota Worzella

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can only restore a NAND backup to the exact same 3DS it came from. Try something else, and you'll get bricked.

So, if I accidentally bricked my new 3ds while installing arm9loaderhax and had to get a new new 3ds, the emunand backup wouldn't work when restored?

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, if I accidentally bricked my new 3ds while installing arm9loaderhax and had to get a new new 3ds, the emunand backup wouldn't work when restored?
That's exactly what I'm saying. You can still get a hardmod, and if you dump the CTRNAND XORpad before trying anything funny you still have a chance to migrate some data.

Besides, you won't brick doing the a9lh installation. We had no bricks (except for ones where users ignored obvious warnings AND didn't read instructions) in ages. I'd even say you'd almost have to deliberately try to brick.

Last edited by d0k3,

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it finally happened, I used EmuNAND9 to remove an emuNAND partition by formatting the SD card before I remembered to back the emuNAND up. Currently running TestDisk in an attempt to recovery the partition table and restore it. Analyzing another SD card that was still setup with emuNAND shows it as a Bootable Primary FAT16 partition starting at sector 32, so that's what I'm hoping to find. Stupid me, wish me luck. I'll report if I managed to do it or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I see your mop and raise you George's mop lol