Reggie Fils-Aime claims that Nintendo will have a "big" E3 this year

KmDyD4j.png

In a video interview with Fox News, Nintendo of America's CEO, Reggie Fils-Aime spoke about how Nintendo is innovating the game market, with the Switch, and recently released Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. "I think anyone who says they know where this industry is going is really not knowledgeable about the industry, given that at its heart, it's all about innovation and creativity," said Fils-Aime. At the end of the video, Reggie claims that Nintendo will "have a big E3 this year." and that they will be "showcasing a variety of games, as well as having surprises planned" for the event. Lastly, he says that E3 will be a major opportunity to show what Nintendo has in store for not only the Switch, but for the 3DS as well.

:arrow: Source

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes agreed and i think they'll have to announce a price drop as well. because rumors are suggesting a price drop on ps4/xbox1 incoming.

if true why would a consumer dictating between ps4, xbox1 and switch even consider switch when it's more expensive then the other 2. not to mention other 2 have superior game library currently.

nintendo really needs to be super aggressive with switch so it doesn't fail.
They are selling out at their current price, why would they need a price drop already? As for why people would consider a switch over the other two:
A) It plays Nintendo games
B) It doubles as a handheld device

Having the option to play console games on-the-go is a pretty nice incentive.

gundamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They are selling out at their current price, why would they need a price drop already? As for why people would consider a switch over the other two:
A) It plays Nintendo games
B) It doubles as a handheld device

Having the option to play console games on-the-go is a pretty nice incentive.

wii-u was sold out at launch as well. if nintendo games alone couldn't save wii-u why would it be any different for switch.
3rd party games are important for nintendo consoles
it's sold out, because they create artificial demand. thankfully they have doubled the production.

also when ps3 launched sony was selling it at a loss, same for ps4 for few years.
nintendo should do the same, at the same they need get more 3rd party support. launch lineup for switch was embarrassingly bad

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
yes agreed and i think they'll have to announce a price drop as well. because rumors are suggesting a price drop on ps4/xbox1 incoming.

if true why would a consumer dictating between ps4, xbox1 and switch even consider switch when it's more expensive then the other 2. not to mention other 2 have superior game library currently.

nintendo really needs to be super aggressive with switch so it doesn't fail.
PS4 and Xbox One are already dirt cheap, and most SKU's come with a game or two, which Nintendo needs to replicate if they want to carry the momentum they have. Additionally they should announce at least 5 core titles for the system and give information about at least 10 third-party games in development, that'd cover the year with one or more games each month which is an acceptable pace for the library. Any less would be bad news, their system really needs games right now, they can't roll on Zelda, Mario Kart and Splatoon 2 forever.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wii-u was sold out at launch as well. if nintendo games alone couldn't save wii-u why would it be any different for switch.
3rd party games are important for nintendo consoles
it's sold out, because they create artificial demand. thankfully they have doubled the production.
1) As long as it's continuing to sell out, there's zero need for price drop
2) My list of selling points was not limited to 'Nintendo games'. Plus part of the Wii U's problem was, indeed, the lack of the big-time Nintendo games. Zelda didn't come until the console was already cold, while the Switch got it day-one. The Wii U's 3D Mario game was not the must-have that Galaxy was, and Odyssey for the Switch may shape up to be (looks good from what I've seen, but info is still sparse), which is also due to release this year. The Wii U also suffered from a failure to explain to the casual consumer that it was a separate entity from the Wii.
3) That's not how supply and demand works. Reducing the number of units does not create 'artificial demand'. It does result in a gap between supply and demand meaning that the supply is not at the ideal economic point to match demand, but it does not increase demand. What really happened was they made a conservative estimate for what the demand would be after getting burned over-estimating the demand of the Wii U, and set production based on those estimates. Now they see the real-world demand and are adjusting production based on the demand. Despite the conservative early estimates, the total number of units being moved beats that of the also-sold-out launch of the Wii. So 'artificially creating demand' through underproduction? That's just an utterance of economic ignorance.

gundamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1) As long as it's continuing to sell out, there's zero need for price drop
2) My list of selling points was not limited to 'Nintendo games'. Plus part of the Wii U's problem was, indeed, the lack of the big-time Nintendo games. Zelda didn't come until the console was already cold, while the Switch got it day-one. The Wii U's 3D Mario game was not the must-have that Galaxy was, and Odyssey for the Switch may shape up to be (looks good from what I've seen, but info is still sparse), which is also due to release this year. The Wii U also suffered from a failure to explain to the casual consumer that it was a separate entity from the Wii.
3) That's not how supply and demand works. Reducing the number of units does not create 'artificial demand'. It does result in a gap between supply and demand meaning that the supply is not at the ideal economic point to match demand, but it does not increase demand. What really happened was they made a conservative estimate for what the demand would be after getting burned over-estimating the demand of the Wii U, and set production based on those estimates. Now they see the real-world demand and are adjusting production based on the demand. Despite the conservative early estimates, the total number of units being moved beats that of the also-sold-out launch of the Wii. So 'artificially creating demand' through underproduction? That's just an utterance of economic ignorance.

wii was a super big because it had had huge 3rd party support, first party games will only take you so far.
catering to casuals is the stupidest thing ever, casual are not loyal.
nintendo's biggest supporters are normal and hardcore gamers. casual all left after wii, they got their pos crap games on cellphones now.

you would think nintendo would have learned about demand after wii guess not.

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm so pumped for E3 this year, almost as pumped as when I first saw the Switch's trailer/teaser (which made me pass on the PS4 Slim).

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wii was a super big because it had had huge 3rd party support, first party games will only take you so far.
catering to casuals is the stupidest thing ever, casual are not loyal.
nintendo's biggest supporters are normal and hardcore gamers. casual all left after wii, they got their pos crap games on cellphones now.
I'm using the term 'casual' in a much broader sense here. Many people into video games/consoles do not live and breath video games like people on here do, but still consume a great deal. These people buy the Playstations, Xboxes, Nintendos, etc. and play the Fallouts and GTAs and such that are staples of the so-called hardcore gamer. Also, this was rather non-sequitur to the post of mine you quoted.

you would think nintendo would have learned about demand after wii guess not.
You mean like when they produced a lot of Wii U units that would up not selling? Sales projections is not an exact science and the costs of over-producing a product can be devastating. But I'm sure someone business-savvy as yourself knows exactly how many Switch units they should have produced to perfectly meet what the demand the market would come to bear.

Gadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using the term 'casual' in a much broader sense here. Many people into video games/consoles do not live and breath video games like people on here do, but still consume a great deal. These people buy the Playstations, Xboxes, Nintendos, etc. and play the Fallouts and GTAs and such that are staples of the so-called hardcore gamer. Also, this was rather non-sequitur to the post of mine you quoted.

You mean like when they produced a lot of Wii U units that would up not selling? Sales projections is not an exact science and the costs of over-producing a product can be devastating. But I'm sure someone business-savvy as yourself knows exactly how many Switch units they should have produced to perfectly meet what the demand the market would come to bear.

what's gonna happen to all the unsold wii u's? gonna join E.T. in the landfill?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever it is, it can't be worse than literally Pokemon, Zelda, and nothing else from last year.

Oh it could be worse, like, focusing its entire-presentation-on-3DS-and-only-one-WiiU-game worse. Seriously, it's gonna take one helluva presentation to get that taste out of my mouth from the past two E3s.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I feel like Nintendo's last few years have been rather dormant, whether it be them waiting for an appropriate time to replace the Wii U, Iwata's passing, or Nintendo just being typical Nintendo- but honestly, this year I feel like they should have nothing to hold back. Here's hoping they deliver.

03bgood

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"I can imagine this is the surprise. they wil say: "This is Virtual Console for the switch and you can download the first games now."
They'll announce that Baseball (NES), Ice Climber (NES), Balloon Fight (NES), Super Mario World (SNES), and F-Zero (SNES) has hit the service and can be downloaded for $4.99, for NES games and $7.99, for SNES games. Then N64, GBA, and DS games will hit the service in November or December and GCN and Wii titles will hit the service, sometime next year.

Last edited by 03bgood,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-