E3 is officially dead

e3.png

Ever since its first outing in 1995, the Electronic Entertainment Expo (better known as E3 worldwide) was THE yearly event that saw many gamers eagerly awaiting for the summer time to have news and updates on their favourites franchises and titles. Since then, each year the E3 was quite the occasion and the event to watch new trailers, and of course, weird and quirky interactions alike, which were the life of the event each year.

However, after more than 2 decades of being held each year, on December 12th, 2023, the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) has confirmed that the Electronic Entertainment Expo will be indefinitely closed down, marking the once-titan of gaming events worldwide as officially dead. This was confirmed by Stanley Pierre-Louis, the CEO and president of the nonprofit trade association that represents the games industry’s interests in the US.

Stanley Pierre-Louis said:
We know the entire industry, players and creators alike have a lot of passion for E3. We share that passion. We know it’s difficult to say goodbye to such a beloved event, but it’s the right thing to do given the new opportunities our industry has to reach fans and partners.

There were fans who were invited to attend in the later years, but it really was about a marketing and business model for the industry and being able to provide the world with information about new products. Companies now have access to consumers and to business relations through a variety of means, including their own individual showcases.

The last time the E3 got a show in its original format was back in 2019, and in 2020, due to the pandemic, E3 was cancelled for the year, with the event only seeing a return in an online-only format for 2021, effectively making this its last iteration throughout its 26 years run. After 2021, there were still several attempts to revive the event, with attempts in both 2022 and 2023 being made, but each one getting cancelled after initial news of that the events would indeed be held in said years.

Since the several attempts at revivals of the E3, other gaming events have been brought up to the forefront, with such events like the Game Awards taking in a similar format to that of E3. However, to many people, the abundance of ads and formality of it all (not to mention that only a small percentage of it are actual awards), makes many feel like most of the recent gaming events don't pair up or capture the essence of what the E3 was back in its golden days.

Gamers worldwide can only remember back to those past E3s fondly, with the memories from the epic trailers and announcements like the Twilight Princess reveal back in 2004, to all those weird and cringe-inducing meme materials that made the E3 special.

:arrow: Source

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We all saw it coming, didn't we? It's kind of bittersweet, because on one hand, it's a shame we don't have these live events anymore to look forward to. On the other hand, each year was more abysmal than the last since the early 2010s, so I say I'm actually not sorry to see it end. Hopefully, these live gatherings won't stop - I mean, we've still got things like PAX and IndieCade, so it's not a total loss... but it's still pretty big news.

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
Stanley Pierre-Louis said:
We know the entire industry, players and creators alike have a lot of passion for E3. We share that passion. We know it’s difficult to say goodbye to such a beloved event, but it’s the right thing to do given the new opportunities our industry has to reach fans and partners.

Pretty sure the reason it died was because of complete apathy from 'the entire industry, players and creators alike'. If anyone at all was passionate about E3 still then it wouldn't have died such a long drawn out and unceremonious death.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
I remember saw E3 around in year 2005. I love to watch videos about new video games and hardware. Sad to see E3 have go away. RIP E3 on year 2023. :(

RIP E3 - Year 1995 - 2023 (28 years old)

1702473419024.png

Why? Because of Since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, E3 has been plagued by issues. Covid-19 do indeed hurt their industry and companies to lost a lot of money then shut down.

Good bye to E3. RIP E3 on year 2023. :( :(

Last edited by console,

drazenm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest I'm glad it's dead, in a way. Gaming just hasn't been exciting last 10 years etc. It just lost its munchines sadly and I think everyone's gone fully digital with promoting their games and don't see a point of physical presentations any more.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
covid 19 had NOTHING to do with the fall of e3. technology got better, internet got faster and more affordable people could stream better and faster so all the game companies do everything online now. technology and progress is what killed e3.
same thing happened to video stores.

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
It really did, it sucks. 8-hour Midgard got turned into a whole 60 hours game. And it's not even a remake, it's a butchered down self-aware re-imagination of the beginning of the original game. And it's battle system sucks.
They're expanding the content and making the game longer. And you found a way to complain about it. And the battle system is fine, you just don't like change.

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
covid 19 had NOTHING to do with the fall of e3. technology got better, internet got faster and more affordable people could stream better and faster so all the game companies do everything online now. technology and progress is what killed e3.
same thing happened to video stores.
So what you're saying is the internet killed the video star? Did wireless come and break your heart too?

Also fun fact... Despite everyone (including me until very recently) being sure that song was an 80s hit and it being on every 80s hits compilation ever, it released in 1979.

• Wow
Reactions: Megadriver94

Jmdaemon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly they should have taken it the next step. They tried to make it a place where companies can announce and show off up coming stuff. While doing it how ever they spent a lot of money with visual set pieces and events based around game licenses and stuff. How about changing it into a big mixed game con? Instead of making it for companies and the press, make it for developers and fans. Most of the time we only get to hear from our fav game devs at the likes of the current running doom, blizzard, and final fantasy cons. E3 should have been a place for the rest.

Augusto101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
Descansa en paz siempre serás recordado...y toda esa gente hipócrita que ahora da sus buenas palabras nunca entenderá tu verdadero valor

TJHeartnote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't really know what PAX is and from what I've seen it seems that it's more like a showcase of playable demos, isn't it ? I don't remember huge announcements being made at PAX
Post automatically merged:

It probably wouldn't have died if it wasn't for covid that basically pushed the need for alternatives and made E3 irrelevant immediately (because you know ... if nobody can have a stage, then there no use for an event)
It's not about bringing cash either, it's about show. Reminds me of basically every esports that exists : it always bleeds cash yet it's still there because it sells games. E3 was the same in that regard.
Penny Arcade eXpo. https://www.paxsite.com/
Might not be as old as E3 but it is just as big.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto