Nintendo has worked on a platform-agnostic and adaptive controller, according to Reggie Fils-Aimé

fils aime nintendo.JPG

In a recent interview with Inverse, Nintendo of America's former president, Reggie Fils-Aimé shared details about a project from the house of Mario that we have yet to see materialise: a platform-agnostic, adaptive controller. In the interview, Fils-Aimé said that the project was being worked on back in 2019 as he was preparing his retirement and was part of a larger, industry-wide initiative. The latter considered the Xbox Adaptive Controller, announced in 2018, as “as a jumping-off point to create something that would be platform-agnostic and adaptable by any consumer”.

“Imagine an adaptive controller that you could play with your latest Xbox, PlayStation, or Nintendo platform. That's what we were working on three years ago,” Nintendo of America's former president detailed in the interview.

However, Fils-Aimé isn't sure if this effort is still being worked on or not. “But also, my hope is that controller — and the ability for that controller to connect with all of the various systems — is launched and shared with consumers as quickly as possible,” he added. “I do believe the best solution is an industry solution that can work for all of the dedicated gaming platforms and for PC, and can truly be tailored to the player depending on their physical capabilities and what they can do.”

You can read the full interview with Reggie Fils-Aimé in the source link below where he shares his hopes and vision for the future of the gaming industry.

:arrow: SOURCE

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing really to get excited over.

Its simple, simply let the controller connect via Bluetooth to any device rather than have it locked to only that console when trying to pair it to other devices.

Pretty much like majority of other third party controllers are able to connect to anything. Some consoles might reject third party controllers from pairing to the console whereas some are able to pair.

For nintendo to now come up saying we have been working since 2019 on technology that already exists, just shows how far behind they really are.

cyb0rg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would be potentially much more exciting news if I wasn't currently so displeased with their latest offerings.
These days, I use the joycons to turn on the switch, scan some amiibos, and then immediately switch over to a DualShock 4 via the MAYFLASH Magic NS adapter due to the issues I have with the joycons. I haven't bought a Switch Pro Controller after reading about how the d-pad quality is terrible compared to their past d-pads. Having said that, if they release a controller which actually addresses the various issues, I look forward to possibly purchasing it, but given their latest record with gamepads, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a platform agnostic Switch Pro Controller that's been 'years' in development. :rolleyes:

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Its simple, simply let the controller connect via Bluetooth to any device rather than have it locked to only that console when trying to pair it to other devices.

Pretty much like majority of other third party controllers are able to connect to anything. Some consoles might reject third party controllers from pairing to the console whereas some are able to pair.

For nintendo to now come up saying we have been working since 2019 on technology that already exists, just shows how far behind they really are.
I was going to reply with something similar, Steam lets you connect any controller and for consoles there's stuff like Magic-NS, but this is specifically about an adaptive controller for various physical disabilities. Kinda like the one Microsoft already has available:

588533-xbox-adaptive-controller.jpg

It's not something I need of course, but more options for that type of thing would be welcome for those who do.

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The logical conclusion to the console wars is no console at all.
I'm predicting that, within 15 years, all major game companies will produce software for the same platform (PC).

Reactions: AlexMCS

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It really amazes me how Nintendo still acts like they are in the early 00s

I guess if it’s not broken why fix it…since they are still printing money practically. That being said they really need to move a bit faster

The Frenchman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Comments are ao ignorants here.

It is big news, for accessibility and also for people who don't want to adapt to different platforms controllers.

People complaining about drift, you know drift is as much an issue on every controller since Xbox 360 than it is for the joycons? I fix dozen a week, I actually fix more PS4 and Xbox One sticks than I do Joycons. But what do I know? I've only been doing that for 17 years...

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Sony and Microsoft already do.
And Nintendo for "Andoroido".
One or two generations more and Nintendo will cease making consoles and embrace mobiles.
They are truly portable Switch anyways, with more storage, CPU and RAM.
Unless they top the living room powerhouses that Sony and Microsoft have already made. I see them making a Nintendo phone like Sony did.
I will always favor consoles because I can't run after the industry and constantly upgrade a computer, so consoles won't die anytime soon, but Nintendo is becoming increasingly mobile friendly.

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
And Nintendo for "Andoroido".
One or two generations more and Nintendo will cease making consoles and embrace mobiles.
They are truly portable Switch anyways, with more storage, CPU and RAM.
Unless they top the living room powerhouses that Sony and Microsoft have already made. I see them making a Nintendo phone like Sony did.
I will always favor consoles because I can't run after the industry and constantly upgrade a computer, so consoles won't die anytime soon, but Nintendo is becoming increasingly mobile friendly.

The Xboxes and PlayStations are just PCs and I don't see Nintendo switching to cell phones.

• Haha
Reactions: Cris1997XX

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I will always favor consoles because I can't run after the industry and constantly upgrade a computer,

A 10 year old PC with a decent GPU can run anything on mid/high, as good or better than a console, for cheaper.

That is just your ignorance on PC speaking.

From the savings you get from the constant, better sales on PC, you could upgrade it more than you would need to, if you were so inclined.

Consoles, as DRM, hardlocked, weaker PCs they are today, will definitely die, and sooner than you think, if they keep bringing nothing new to the end user.

At this rate, next gen consoles will be no different than what Steam Machines were trying to be.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
The logical conclusion to the console wars is no console at all.
I'm predicting that, within 15 years, all major game companies will produce software for the same platform (PC).
PC has consistently been bad for videogames for over a decade.

Every horrible anti consumer practice originated directly from PC.

Paid mods
DLC
Microtransactions
Early access unfinished games
"Skins"
Loot boxes

The list goes on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Hmmm it's been a long time since I messed with Retroarch on the PS3 but probably most of the...