Nintendo has worked on a platform-agnostic and adaptive controller, according to Reggie Fils-Aimé

fils aime nintendo.JPG

In a recent interview with Inverse, Nintendo of America's former president, Reggie Fils-Aimé shared details about a project from the house of Mario that we have yet to see materialise: a platform-agnostic, adaptive controller. In the interview, Fils-Aimé said that the project was being worked on back in 2019 as he was preparing his retirement and was part of a larger, industry-wide initiative. The latter considered the Xbox Adaptive Controller, announced in 2018, as “as a jumping-off point to create something that would be platform-agnostic and adaptable by any consumer”.

“Imagine an adaptive controller that you could play with your latest Xbox, PlayStation, or Nintendo platform. That's what we were working on three years ago,” Nintendo of America's former president detailed in the interview.

However, Fils-Aimé isn't sure if this effort is still being worked on or not. “But also, my hope is that controller — and the ability for that controller to connect with all of the various systems — is launched and shared with consumers as quickly as possible,” he added. “I do believe the best solution is an industry solution that can work for all of the dedicated gaming platforms and for PC, and can truly be tailored to the player depending on their physical capabilities and what they can do.”

You can read the full interview with Reggie Fils-Aimé in the source link below where he shares his hopes and vision for the future of the gaming industry.

:arrow: SOURCE

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Accessibility is always an objectively good thing to strive for and it doesn't matter who is doing it, a world where gaming is accessible to anyone regardless of their ability is a good one.

Making games easier to play is not always an objectively a good thing. Reaching for the high shelf is often part of the dynamic in gaming. People also like collector's items. Maybe you should read some Ayn Rand before talking about objectivity. ;)

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I bet they scrapped the idea after Xbox came out with their own. Nintendo likes to do their own thing, I feel like if they put it out now, it'd be seen as "Nintendo is doing the thing Xbox did" which I'm sure they'd want to avoid.

I also feel like if Reggie is talking about it openly, that it probably isn't happening at this point. Those have gotta be old plans dating back to his time at the company, and I doubt he'd go and leak things that are still planned.

So, TL;DR... Are we getting a new adaptive controller or nah? And if not, then why is this on the front page? Slow news day?
Nintendo adjacent things get people talking even if it's pretty nothing news.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I bet they scrapped the idea after Xbox came out with their own. Nintendo likes to do their own thing, I feel like if they put it out now, it'd be seen as "Nintendo is doing the thing Xbox did" which I'm sure they'd want to avoid.

I also feel like if Reggie is talking about it openly, that it probably isn't happening at this point. Those have gotta be old plans dating back to his time at the company, and I doubt he'd go and leak things that are still planned.

I really like the xbox laboratories custom controllers. Then, they can be tailored to the individual. No such thing with Playstation or Nintendo.

Reactions: CeeDee

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really like the xbox laboratories custom controllers. Then, they can be tailored to the individual. No such thing with Playstation or Nintendo.
Yknow, it's a shame that the Joy-Con controllers are barely sold individually - you basically have to buy them in pairs, which really sucks if you want to mix-and-match the colors. I had to buy a red-and-blue pair and a pink-and-green pair to get the pink-blue combo I wanted:
1661062860654.png

The Xbox lab is great though. I have an Xbox, I really oughta make myself a controller there at some point.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yknow, it's a shame that the Joy-Con controllers are barely sold individually - you basically have to buy them in pairs, which really sucks if you want to mix-and-match the colors. I had to buy a red-and-blue pair and a pink-and-green pair to get the pink-blue combo I wanted:
View attachment 323539

The Xbox lab is great though. I have an Xbox, I really oughta make myself a controller there at some point.
I have one from xbox that has godreborn written on it. And these controllers are comparable in price to official joycons.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one from xbox that has godreborn written on it. And these controllers are comparable in price to official joycons.
I like that the xbox design lab controllers don't cost like, a bunch more than a controller that you'd buy in the store. Seems worth it to me considering how solid the Xbox Series controller is.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like that the xbox design lab controllers don't cost like, a bunch more than a controller that you'd buy in the store. Seems worth it to me considering how solid the Xbox Series controller is.
My favorite controller so far is the dualsense, just wish it had better battery power, though the joycons get zapped big time with a game like skyward sword. Anyway, I loved how every gun felt different with the triggers in ratchet and clank.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My favorite controller so far is the dualsense, just wish it had better battery power, though the joycons get zapped big time with a game like skyward sword. Anyway, I loved how every gun felt different with the triggers in ratchet and clank.
I've yet to try the dualsense because I've yet to meet an actual human being with a PS5, it does sound cool for sure, though I'm the heathenous type to prefer the Xbox/Nintendo stick layout to the PS one

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've yet to try the dualsense because I've yet to meet an actual human being with a PS5, it does sound cool for sure, though I'm the heathenous type to prefer the Xbox/Nintendo stick layout to the PS one
What's frustrating is Playstation has cross for confirm in the west and circle in Japan, the a or circle as confirm for Nintendo, then Xbox also has a as confirm but this time it's in the position of cross. Confusing as hell. They should be uniform I think.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's frustrating is Playstation has cross for confirm in the west and circle in Japan, the a or circle as confirm for Nintendo, then Xbox also has a as confirm but this time it's in the position of cross. Confusing as hell. They should be uniform I think.
Oh absolutely, it's always jarring to go back and forth between Xbox and Nintendo for that exact reason tbh.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh absolutely, it's always jarring to go back and forth between Xbox and Nintendo for that exact reason tbh.
It's frustrating that I have a Japanese ps4 with western games as confirm is swapped in the home menu. It's on 5.05, and I think they added a way to swap the confirm button only on 5.50.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country

Well, they probably know that with a $15 Bluetooth dongle you can just use the Xbox one on the Switch.

So any handicapped person that has the control probably most likely has done the research to know it can be supported on PC's and the switch with a USB dongle so less reason to make their own

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Making games easier to play is not always an objectively a good thing. Reaching for the high shelf is often part of the dynamic in gaming. People also like collector's items. Maybe you should read some Ayn Rand before talking about objectivity. ;)
Color me surprised that the pseudo intellectual is a Rand fan LMAO

Reactions: Xzi

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Are you that dense to not understand accessible gaming isn't about making games easier? You literally just made a comment insinuating that handicapped/disabled persons should reach for the high shelf and use a standard controller because using an adaptive one would make the game too easy. Having seen several of your other posts here, you're not the brightest bulb in the bunch. More like the dimmest.

Reactions: LainaGabranth

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Are you that dense to not understand accessable gaming isn't about making games easier? You literally just made a comment insinuating that handicapped/disabled persons should reach for the high shelf and use a standard controller because using an adaptive one would make the game too easy. Having seen several of your other posts here, you're not the brightest bulb in the bunch. More like the dimmest.

I think handicapped people should have a hard mode. Very hard mode might get these people walking again.

You're too performative for me to put any effort in.

It's easier to stop posting before you post.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Bananners.