Procyon

TheRealProcyon
Trophies
Website
discord.me
XP
Country
Netherlands
I suppose your question is only about the second part of the message you quoted.
Do NOT format the drive in "magic" way. There's no such a thing.

You need FAT32 (NO, you don't need WBFS partition, and NO you will not have any problem with games bigger than 4GB on FAT32).
You use Wii Backup Manager, like suggested, to add ISO to your HDD, but don't format it if it's already FAT32.
If it's NTFS, you can format it to FAT32, but that's all. don't format to WBFS.

If you have the disc instead of an ISO, insert the disc inside USBLoaderGX and choose "install" to copy the game to your hard drive.

I found out that my flash drive works with (any) USB Loader (GX), it is the Sandisk Cruzer Blade 16 GB (according to GBAtemp wiki (not the drive type part)).

Has USBLoaderGX support for NTFS?

Last edited by Procyon,

whynoteatcats

Trophies
XP
Country
@Cyan, you know your stuff. I had no idea you could use fat32.

My drive is already in WBFS, would it be worth converting to fat32? Is there any benefit? Or should I leave it as is?

Also...can you take a look at my problem with Warriors of Rock? I can't offer much when it comes to helping others, but I could write you a poem? :D

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, you can use NTFS if you want, but it's not the best format for homebrew.
USBLoaderGX and wii games will work, but not gamecube games, or WiiWare/Virtual console, or some emulators, other homebrew, etc.

Even if you use NTFS, you should use WiiBackupManager to "transfer" your ISO to your drive, as that program will convert the ISO to a special file format (wbfs file format) and the game will be shrinked. As a result you can store more games on the drive.

whynot:
I recommend converting to FAT32.
WBFS partition is an unstable format which can corrupt games.
I'm using WBFS without issue for years, but my brothers recently had an issue and lost 94 games (over 120, so most of them are now corrupted).

I recommend you to convert the partition (with wbfs2FAT, look in my signature), this way you will not need to format the drive, just convert it and you will not lose any games.

About RockBand/Guitare hero/etc.
I don't have a solution with cIOS. Sorry.
You could try neek mode and it should work fine as it's not using cIOS, but official IOS.
I don't know if the issue is the cIOS or the base, or the loader.
someone said he installed d2x cIOS with a base80 and it worked for some games, so you could try, but if you need help installing it don't hesitate to ask. (do not touch IOS below 200)

Reactions: Procyon

Procyon

TheRealProcyon
Trophies
Website
discord.me
XP
Country
Netherlands
yes, you can use NTFS if you want, but it's not the best format for homebrew.
USBLoaderGX and wii games will work, but not gamecube games, or WiiWare/Virtual console, or some emulators, other homebrew, etc.

Even if you use NTFS, you should use WiiBackupManager to "transfer" your ISO to your drive, as that program will convert the ISO to a special file format (wbfs file format) and the game will be shrinked. As a result you can store more games on the drive.

whynot:
I recommend converting to FAT32.
WBFS partition is an unstable format which can corrupt games.
I'm using WBFS without issue for years, but my brothers recently had an issue and lost 94 games (over 120, so most of them are now corrupted).

I recommend you to convert the partition (with wbfs2FAT, look in my signature), this way you will not need to format the drive, just convert it and you will not lose any games.

About RockBand/Guitare hero/etc.
I don't have a solution with cIOS. Sorry.
You could try neek mode and it should work fine as it's not using cIOS, but official IOS.
I don't know if the issue is the cIOS or the base, or the loader.
someone said he installed d2x cIOS with a base80 and it worked for some games, so you could try, but if you need help installing it don't hesitate to ask. (do not touch IOS below 200)

Alright, I got it all in my mind I will bookmark this for reference. Also I don't got any GC controller/storage device, and I don't care about VC. Thanks for helping me out. Tomorrow is the big day ;)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@Cyan I want to play Animal Crossing: Let's Go to the City patched for WiiMMFi, according to http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Game_Compatibility_Table/A I need old IOS36 rev 9, what does that mean?

Last edited by Procyon,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
no, it means that "wii connect 24" uses an old IOS version, and you should disable WiiConnect24 from the Wii settings to prevent freezes.
Nintendo shutdown its network service anyway so you don't need WC24 anymore.

whynoteatcats

Trophies
XP
Country
@Cyan Thanks for the help, I gave it a go and it still didn't work. I ended up just buying another copy of Guitar hero (only a fiver), nothing quite like your backup being an actual copy of the game.

And thanks for the help with the hard drive. I will get started on that!

Poem is forthcoming.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, I don't think Wiimmfi uses WC24 features.
WC24 was used mainly when the console was shutdown (to keep the "Wii connected 24/24h", in standby and never really shutdown).
It kept internet connect enabled to get notification if you received a message (email, etc.) and to silently update data for installed channels (Weather, vote, info, etc.)

Maybe Animal crossing had an installable channel which used WC24 when "not in the game", but as nintendo disabled its service, that option will not do anything (and maybe it cause freezes while gaming because it's missing data from the channel).

Procyon

TheRealProcyon
Trophies
Website
discord.me
XP
Country
Netherlands
WC24 was used mainly when the console was shutdown (to keep the "Wii connected 24/24h", in standby and never really shutdown).
It kept internet connect enabled to get notification if you received a message (email, etc.) and to silently update data for installed channels (Weather, vote, info, etc.)

Maybe Animal crossing had an installable channel which used WC24 when "not in the game", but as nintendo disabled its service, that option will not do anything (and maybe it cause freezes while gaming because it's missing data from the channel).

Thanks, now I know what I should do tomorrow.

Procyon

TheRealProcyon
Trophies
Website
discord.me
XP
Country
Netherlands

I found out that you can use it with wiimmfi & riiconnect24 to get DLC, will try to do that, since it's pretty straightforward.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I didn't know Riiconnect24 had AnimalCrossing added to its servers :)
Riiconnect24 is replacing the nintendo's URL with a custom URL. But redirecting to a new URL without a working server and database is not useful.

Edit:
AnimalCrossing is not working with Riiconnect24.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/riiconnect24-wiiconnect24-replacement.407621/
You can check the "status" and see which data is served by the new server.

Riiconnect will not make games working again if nobody provides daily game updates like nintendo did.

Procyon

TheRealProcyon
Trophies
Website
discord.me
XP
Country
Netherlands
Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes you can, but if you don't have priiloader installed (to disable the "update prompt") then install d2x cIOS with this setting :
version 65535 instead of 21008.

this will prevent game disc to prompt you to update.
if you accept the update, it will replace d2x cIOS with a non-hacked version and USBLoader will stop working.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So then why is mine not working?

I looked in to this today and managed to get it working but it took a while to remember which post you asked in. :P

I tried d2x IOS249[56], IOS250[57] and IOS251[58] and none of them worked.
I used d2x Installer to patch IOS38 (the IOS the game specifies in its disc header) and install it as IOS238 and used that. The keyboard now works fine.

incidentallyscribble

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked in to this today and managed to get it working but it took a while to remember which post you asked in. :P

I tried d2x IOS249[56], IOS250[57] and IOS251[58] and none of them worked.
I used d2x Installer to patch IOS38 (the IOS the game specifies in its disc header) and install it as IOS238 and used that. The keyboard now works fine.
Awesome! Will try!

incidentallyscribble

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome! Will try!
:blink:It didn't work. I used v10alt if that makes a difference, with revision 65535. I have just tried so much in the past week and nothing worked. Is it my keyboard? It worked with the internet channel, but not AC:CF? I just wish this would work because it's so much more convenient then replacing my disc drive.
EDIT: By "patch ios38", you meant use it as the base, right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol