Hardware PSP going down?

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Best thing about PSP is ISOs and homebrew....that's what Sony doesn't want.

Worst thing about PSP is to buy crappy games and movies...that's what Sony wants.

How could you say that isn't a failure?

No UMD movies are being made for the psp anymore they've finished. Who in their right mind would pay the same price for a UMD movie over the DVD version. The UMD movie of king kong for example had 1 disc and just the film on, the dvd version for the same price 2 discs with all the features on and also I could play it on any dvd player in my house and not just on the psp. I've seen the UMD movies selling for £5 each now just so they can get rid of them. I had 3 copies of spiderman 2 on UMD at one time and I've still never watched it on the PSP
laugh.gif

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WTF? OKay first off everyone has a PSP....or a lot of PSP's have been SOLD so GIVING AWAY a PS1 EMULATOR so you can PLAY YOUR OWN ISOS would do nothing for sales for sony except maybe sell a few more SYSTEMS. TONS OF PEOPLE HAVE THE HANDHELD already.....look at the numbers.....people are blaming the low sales on PIRACY...but if everyone wants a PS1 EMULATOR for the PSP for free that won't do JACK for the PSP Software sales. Oh I am EXTREMLY DRUNK right now. Okay so I think talk about a PS1 emulator is bollocks cause the PSP already has enough power and great emulator homebrew power....I had to choose between a GP32 or a PSP....I chose PSP...for EMULATION not for the games. A lot of people out there have PSP 1/5s for that reason alone! The problem with the PSP is the GAMES ITSELF....thats it. We REALLY needed a second Nub....I hate to see what PS1 ports will be like without that nubb...Grand Turismo, Syphon Filter....I can't remeber what games off the top of my head I used the second Pad for but I know it was a lot. RPG's will be fine though. Anyway back to CURRENT NEW PSP games.....a lot SUCK....true I haven't played that many....but I have given a lot of games a fair shot. Loading times suck balls.....especially when I want to play a game on the can and finish before my game even freaking loads. I nearly get hemroids from sitting on the can cause I am like screw it, I booted this damn thing up I might as well play ONE level. Besides loading times, the lack of a second analog nub......there isn't much I want to play. Yea there is like 5 games I want to play on my PSP...4 of em are ports....and 1 in new....There is like 20 DS games I want to play and I feel RUSHED to beat those DS games cause so many more good ones are on the way. I am like damn, FF3, FF:CC, Zelda, Kirby, Secret of Mana....and I haven't even STARTED Slime, Megaman ZX, Metroid Hunters, Mario N Luigi....still playing Lost Magic, Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, Cooking Mama....OMG my head is gonna explode with the DS goodness.....wait I am a Nintendo Fanboy? Fuck you the PS1 was god like...sure I think the PS2 sucks....but I WANTED to love the PSP.....I mean the screen is beautiful, its not heavy, I don't need to manage a freaking stylus which is nice at times...and I love the one analog stick.....I really wish that thing was on the DS....so the PSP has its pros but there is not much I want to play right now and a lot of gamers out there feel the same way and now that DEVELOPERS

READ THAT AGAIN, DEVELOPERS are giving up on the system.....that means less games! Sure I saw someone posted Metal Gear....whoopie...seriously I am stoked but will it save the system? Doubt it. Look at the gamecube...it had RE, RE:0 AND RE4 and to a lot of people it was still not a system worth owning. These gamers can't drop a hundred dollars on a system that has a handful of great games, nobody is gonna drop 200 to play on a system to play the same amount of games. If software drops even more on the PSP then a lot of gamers will be thinking one thing this holiday.....I can probally get a bigger trade in this winter for my PSP and put that towards a new console.....rather than beat Metal Gear and then trade it in and get 50 dollars less....

SaltyDog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To Huge Cock: Exactly.
Also to top it off, the originality is very lacking. Dear lord I don't want another stupid port. That is where the DS is winning. Oh well, I would also love this system to win.

Worth mentioning; but didn't Nintendo fall from grace after the SNES? Their handheld division held them throught the N64 and GC. Now it seems like it's Sony's turn for some humbling.

skywarp

Trophies
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
I don't regret getting a PSP as mine is 1.5 cause it has some good emulators but it just doesn't have enough good games. The DS is better in my opinion and came out on top. And $ony just fscked themselves again with holding the PS3 back until March in Europe and the Wii comes out in November and December in time for X-Mas. $ony have made too many mistakes to recover from now.

Sony HAS made alot of mistakes, and is in a very bad position, but holding back the european PS3 release means nothing really.

To Huge Cock: Exactly.
Also to top it off, the originality is very lacking. Dear lord I don't want another stupid port. That is where the DS is winning. Oh well, I would also love this system to win.

Worth mentioning; but didn't Nintendo fall from grace after the SNES? Their handheld division held them throught the N64 and GC. Now it seems like it's Sony's turn for some humbling.

I'm not sure about the N64, but the Gamecube actually made Nintendo a decent amount of money, due to the console itself being sold at a profit from the get go, unlike the competition.

Bitbyte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
As a lot of you guys/girls, I got my PSP for emulation purposes and to relive the good old days of the PSX era, where a great deal of the library was pure quality.
Sadly, after 6 months of owning one, there hadn't been a single game that really got me, except Tales of Eternia, so I just sold it.
After about a year, the PSP still doesn't have a library as extensive as the PS(X/2), which sucks, especially since they should've enough devs. Kinda sad to see that there's still not that much good games coming for it.
My fav genre is RPG, and one of the main reasons I also got myself a PSP (analogy with the psx and ps2) but hell, even the DS has more RPGs, and good ones at that, than the PSP.
I hope you'll enjoy your PSP by means of emulation or the multimedia options, since a PSP just for the games doesn't warrant the purchase imo. Let's just hope for the people that have a PSP that there'll be a better line-up =/

ConraDargo

Flashback Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
While it at times certainly does feel like a problem that the PSP, at least for me personally, only gets one game that truly catches my interest once every month (at its most) - I have plenty of other consoles and other games to keep me entertained during these dry periods.

So while I, naturally, wouldn’t exactly mind being able to purchase maybe two or three at least OK games per month, having one game to look forward to more or less every month is enough for me to wanna keep my PSP.
At least it keeps me from spending all of my money on games
wink.gif

xDarKnighTx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seriously don't see the problem with PSP. It got ton of great games, like:
Lumines
Loco Roco
Tekken 5:DR
Tales of Eternia
Guilty Gear XX#R
Daxter
Wipeout Pure
Ghost & Goblins
GTA
Syphon Filter

As for future releases, you got:
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Lumines II
Silent Hill: Origins
NFS: Carbon
Power Stone
Devil May Cry
Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core

Compared to the games from NDS, sure the touch-screen bring new elements into games, but the graphics is totally inferior to the PSP. The games are more innovative on the DS.

Each system got its own perks, and I do not think the PSP will go down in the future. I only see it rising more and more. PS3 might also boost PSP sales depending on how it integrates these two systems together.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only play my one for quick blasts on all these nice retro collections, cant be arsed with emulation anymore. There are some nice games for it but most are ps1 ps2 games and those games to me always felt a bit empty, so they dont really appeal to me. I always saw handheld gaming as something that would offer something different to what you can play on a telly, and anyway most people I know play handheld games at home most of the time so why play the same thing at home on a smaller screen?

I would love it if someone came along with a portable to kick Nintendos arse but I dont see it happening as Ninty always has these great ideas for games.

PSP aint dead and has a future, but I dont see it toppling the DS.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
PSP is going down, it's going down hard. With only a handful of good games, its basically a $300 paperweight. And don't even go there with GTA PSP, that's two games. Two games does not a good system make. Not only that, but one of said GTA games has already been ported to PS2, and I have no doubt the other isn't far behind. It also suffers from the PS3 syndrome, that meaning that it's too expensive for what it is. Even if it had interesting games, I wouldn't even consider buying a PSP unless the price went waaaay down, and even then probably not. Not to mention the idea of portability is totally lost on it. I mean really, what person in their right mind would take a PSP on the bus, or to school? Someone would steal it within a day. Then there's UMD, which was a complete and utter failure.

And here's the kicker, rumor has it Sony has been considering releasing a 2nd more powerful PSP model. One that would probably cost more to both produce and sell, and would be an even bigger failure. The bottom line is this: Sony is completely insane.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I mean really, what person in their right mind would take a PSP on the bus, or to school? Someone would steal it within a day. Then there's UMD, which was a complete and utter failure.
Why would anyone want to risk trying to steal it (like you wouldn't notice somebody just removed a brick from your coat), if it's crap?

And the UMD was only a failure because they never made a UMD recorder and sold rewriteable UMDs. The UMD is basically a HiMD, only write-only and in an oval case.

The HiMD holds 1GB of data, is rewriteable, and costs only $4.50 apiece.

They should have sold recordable UMDs for mp3's, instead of forcing mega-expensive Memory Sticks ($50 for 512 MB). And that's one of the main reasons the PSP is going down, and going down like a brick.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I mean really, what person in their right mind would take a PSP on the bus, or to school? Someone would steal it within a day. Then there's UMD, which was a complete and utter failure.
Why would anyone want to risk trying to steal it (like you wouldn't notice somebody just removed a brick from your coat), if it's crap?

And the UMD was only a failure because they never made a UMD recorder and sold rewriteable UMDs. The UMD is basically a HiMD, only write-only and in an oval case.

The HiMD holds 1GB of data, is rewriteable, and costs only $4.50 apiece.

They should have sold recordable UMDs for mp3's, instead of forcing mega-expensive Memory Sticks ($50 for 512 MB). And that's one of the main reasons the PSP is going down, and going down like a brick.

They'd steal it because that's what thiefs do. I remember once in 1st grade someone stole a gold star from me. The thing cost like a dollar, did absolutely nothing, and someone still took it. Another time comes to mind where a so-called friend came to my house and stole a CD from me, jsut for the sake of stealing a CD from me. Just because the product is a failure doesn't mean the thief in question doesn't like or, or wouldn't want to sell it.

FranckKnight

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PSP has mostly failed on its 'popularity'. Its not that the system is bad, its actually very robust and has ltos of practical uses outside of games. The user base of the PSP is quite high, but the problem is not from those that bought it.

The Problem is the game builders don't seem to see this as a good media to put their games on. The UMD has already been classified as a dead technology. Nintendo managed to save themselves with solid titles that were signed by their own hand, but Sony don't do that, at least not as much.

We can't say that the PSP is a bad console, but the PSP didn't get the following in solid titles that other consoles get, even in the 2+ years its been out.

What might save the PSP at this point is the connectivity with the PS3. But then again, I'm waiting to see how the PS3 will fare because I'm not sue where Sony is going with this.

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
PSP has mostly failed on its 'popularity'. Its not that the system is bad, its actually very robust and has ltos of practical uses outside of games. The user base of the PSP is quite high, but the problem is not from those that bought it.

That´s a fail when you talk about a gaming system.
happy.gif

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mega-expensive Memory Sticks ($50 for 512 MB).
Dang, that is expensive O_O You get 1Gb for that price here in Sweden and 2Gb for only $34 more...

Take my advice: don't purchase Memory Sticks in your country - import them!

Better still pick up a pirated sony memory stick. Its a little slow to write to but all the games on it run as well on my pirated 2gb sony memory stick as they did on my 1gb sandisk memory stick. I got the 2gb memory stick on ebay, won the auction and it cost me £19.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YirGDuzLvkQ