Hacking PS Vita 3.15 FW... best route for CFW?

snappycg1996

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a total noob in the CFW scene for the Vita. I was huge in the PSP scene back in the day, but never bought a Vita. I bought one off my brother who never used it either and it has firmware 3.15 which was released two years ago I believe.

I would like to be able to run homebrew/emulators, PS1 games, and more importantly, PSP games. I read about VHBL and TN-V, but are these the best solution for my old firmware or is there something more CFW permanent?

D

Deleted User

Sorry, but you're out of luck for a native Vita CFW. You're options at the moment for PSP/PS1 backups are, like you said, through TN-V. But not VHBL; that is only for PSP homebrew.

As for wanting to set up the PSP-side CFW (TN-V) then you can either follow my guide, or Hackinformer's PlayStation Guide.

EDIT: I just remembered that there is also a way to make Custom PS1 Bubbles for the home screen so that you can run them through the Vita's official PS1 "emulator" so they run faster than what TN-V can run them at. But in my opinion, it's not recommended because I, personally, have never been able to get them working for my life. :wink:

Last edited by ,

snappycg1996

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, but you're out of luck for a native Vita CFW. You're options at the moment for PSP/PS1 backups are, like you said, through TN-V. But not VHBL; that is only for PSP homebrew.

As for wanting to set up the PSP-side CFW (TN-V) then you can either follow my guide, or Hackinformer's PlayStation Guide.

EDIT: I just remembered that there is also a way to make Custom PS1 Bubbles for the home screen so that you can run them through the Vita's official PS1 "emulator" so they run faster than what TN-V can run them at. But in my opinion, it's not recommended because I, personally, have never been able to get them working for my life. :wink:

So the Vita still has his PSN on there and the only way I can find to remove it is to restore the whole console, which I'm fine with, but it will not restore unless I update to the latest Vita firmware. Any workaround? Is there a way after I hack the console to remove the PSN and get mine on there?

Last question

I guess you can't play PSP ISOs on 3.60 latest, can you? Just VHBL homebrew?

D

Deleted User

So the Vita still has his PSN on there and the only way I can find to remove it is to restore the whole console, which I'm fine with, but it will not restore unless I update to the latest Vita firmware. Any workaround? Is there a way after I hack the console to remove the PSN and get mine on there?
That, I'm not sure about. I don't think so, unfortunately. If you update from 3.15 to 3.60, you'll be missing out on almost all of the possible hacks for the Vita anyway.

I guess you can't play PSP ISOs on 3.60 latest, can you? Just VHBL homebrew?
Nope; like you say, only PSP homebrew can be run on a 3.60 console at the moment.

snappycg1996

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That, I'm not sure about. I don't think so, unfortunately. If you update from 3.15 to 3.60, you'll be missing out on almost all of the possible hacks for the Vita anyway.

Nope; like you say, only PSP homebrew can be run on a 3.60 console at the moment.

Okay man, thanks. I figured out how to get my PSN on there, just hold down R, PS button and the power and just restored. Only problem is it don't matter because I'm not on latest FW lol so it was pointless.

So basically to install TN-V11, I need an exploit game, right? I guess the good old days of installing a PSP demo without PSN access is gone on the Vita too? I'm okay with buying a game, but only if I must haha

D

Deleted User

So basically to install TN-V11, I need an exploit game, right? I guess the good old days of installing a PSP demo without PSN access is gone on the Vita too? I'm okay with buying a game, but only if I must haha
You can actually use any PSP game/PSP Mini you have on your Vita to install TN-V. I made a guide in this Hacking and Homebrew section (you'll see it), but I'll give you a brief description on how it works:

- You download the TN-V11 savedata* for <=3.50 Vitas, and transfer it from your PC to your Vita through QCMA.
- Then you grab the TN-V11 PBOOT.PBP and place it in "ux0:pspemu/PSP/GAME/TitleID-Of-PSP-Game/PBOOT.PBP" using the Vita's email exploit.
- Afterwards, you should transfer the game you used for TN-V to the PC, then transfer it back to the Vita.
Now you should see the TN-V bubble on your home screen instead of the PSP game you used.

*(Also, don't forget to transfer "660.PBP" (PSP 6.60 firmware files) along with the savedata.)

snappycg1996

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can actually use any PSP game/PSP Mini you have on your Vita to install TN-V. I made a guide in this Hacking and Homebrew section (you'll see it), but I'll give you a brief description on how it works:

- You download the TN-V11 savedata* for <=3.50 Vitas, and transfer it from your PC to your Vita through QCMA.
- Then you grab the TN-V11 PBOOT.PBP and place it in "ux0:pspemu/PSP/GAME/TitleID-Of-PSP-Game/PBOOT.PBP" using the Vita's email exploit.
- Afterwards, you should transfer the game you used for TN-V to the PC, then transfer it back to the Vita.
Now you should see the TN-V bubble on your home screen instead of the PSP game you used.

*(Also, don't forget to transfer "660.PBP" (PSP 6.60 firmware files) along with the savedata.)

https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-t...a-pstv-hacking-guide-check-here-first.403035/

This is the thread, correct? How do you send an email to a Vita if I can't go online with it without updating? Sorry for all the noob questions... :(

snappycg1996

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using Thunderbird to forward the email?

Yes, I tried Thunderbird and it says that. I also tried Vita Email Hacker and it kept throwing unexpected exception errors at me.

Its hard to think I'm on such an OLD firmware, yet there isn't any easier way to do this or a permanent CFW out yet. Is the Vita just that locked down? It sucks being on an older FW too because I can't find any recent guides for an old firmware to use. I can't download a demo from the PSN because I can't get on with the Vita, I can't add it to my download que on a PC and have it download to the Vita since you need to be on latest firmware to be "online" on the Vita. It's so frustrating...

Is Thunderbird known to give that error, on two different computers? I think I'll try a few more times and if it won't work then I guess I got me a nice black brick :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1