Homebrew Portal DS (in 3D !)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The website doesn't look very good on my screen (color choices, text size, etc. makes letter blurry/overflowing)
Sharing on a forum where you need registration even to download files is maybe not the best way to get more users creating/sharing levels. maybe there will be automated sharing in the game later? (or a page listing uploaded levels)

But it's your site :P
I'm just telling you my opinion.

You got some nice coverage on few magazine and website already!
Still no comment from Valve?

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Sharing on a forum where you need registration even to download files is maybe not the best way to get more users creating/sharing levels.
you're right ! that wasn't intentional; it's fixed now, anyone can download as they please. I do think having to register to upload is a better idea though, it'll probably help with spam but mostly it means people can edit their stuff.

and no, no comment from valve yet afaik.

jerbear64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea thats what Im wondering? If this gets licensed to an official cartridge, kinda like how jEnesis DS got licensed.

That would be amazing. We could then have some actual voice lines from Ellen McLain instead of a tts program (if and when GLaDOS voices are added)
Although I just want to see if Valve approves. They shut down the Android port, but that was an exact copy. This is original.

jerbear64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, some bugs I found:
  • A Weighted Companion Cube is instantly dropped once you go through a portal.
  • When standing under a moving platform that goes up and down, when it goes down on top of you you are thrown out of the level.
  • Some testchambers are very hard if not impossible to complete due to the button timers not being settable. The Portal 1 counterparts of these levels have an adjusted timer.
  • Weighted Storage Cubes and Weighted Companion Cubes both have the Companion texture.
Alright, now here's a few questions I've got:
Where is the mini gravity gun that is mentioned in the OP?
Will diagonals eventually be added? This is stopping some test chambers from being complete ports.
Can you have portals automatically placed in the editor?
Will moving platforms eventually be able to go across multiple sets of lines rather than just one so we can add more areas?
Are there any plans to make GLaDOS an actual boss? Because it would be cool to have the whole game portable, neurotoxin and all.
Are Portal 2 elements planned? (Discouragement Lasers, Discouragement Redirection Cubes, Propulsion Gel, Repulsion Gel, Conversion Gel, Excursion Funnels, etc.?)

ipwndeveloper

Trophies
Website
gb4iphone.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Okay, some bugs I found:
  • A Weighted Companion Cube is instantly dropped once you go through a portal.
  • When standing under a moving platform that goes up and down, when it goes down on top of you you are thrown out of the level.
  • Some testchambers are very hard if not impossible to complete due to the button timers not being settable. The Portal 1 counterparts of these levels have an adjusted timer.
  • Weighted Storage Cubes and Weighted Companion Cubes both have the Companion texture.
Alright, now here's a few questions I've got:

Where is the mini gravity gun that is mentioned in the OP?
Will diagonals eventually be added? This is stopping some test chambers from being complete ports.
Can you have portals automatically placed in the editor?
Will moving platforms eventually be able to go across multiple sets of lines rather than just one so we can add more areas?
Are there any plans to make GLaDOS an actual boss? Because it would be cool to have the whole game portable, neurotoxin and all.
Are Portal 2 elements planned? (Discouragement Lasers, Discouragement Redirection Cubes, Propulsion Gel, Repulsion Gel, Conversion Gel, Excursion Funnels, etc.?)
If any of this was added, that would be amazing, as I imagine this game is already pushing the DS to the limit, and I enjoy playing it. I would not be surprised if Valve offered him a job as this game is top notch!

Reactions: jerbear64

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i don't think this game will get licensed or even considered for such a thing. it is half of what it could be, and being more complete is what would sell it. you have to remember the ds is dead. ds games on the 3ds aren't as desired. i have a hard time believing that a company would toss money at an incomplete project for an old handheld.

jenesis was because sega wanted a very quick and dirty port of the old sonic games, and looking for an emulator was their best bet. making jenesis their only choice.

-another world

Wolfgange

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have two suggestions:
1. Are you planning to ever introduce the GLaDOS script into it (but text only, like an RPG game). If so, I would suggest adding the option for custom scripts in the level editor. This way, someone could create their own extension of the story/plot by creating a series of levels with dialog embedded within in it.

For instance, in the level editor, you would go into level preferences, and beneath title, you would click "Script". Then you could enter in a string that would be displayed in the beginning and/or at the end of the custom level.[/quote]

2. In the level editor, add a button to "Create a level group". Then you would select the existing levels that would be within that group. It would do something like generate a .group file that would list the levels in the group. Then, when selected in the load game screen, each level would be sequentially unlocked as they are completed.

------

These two suggestions would enable extensive community versions of portal plots (Like ace attorney DS Casemaker). An example could be anything from Ratman fighting to be free to get to his homeland, to something like Ratman finding out that he is really in a virtual reality and that someone in the real world tells him to complete the levels to teleport into the real world. These plots would be described throughout the set of levels in the scripts that would be manually set.

As described above, implementing these features into the game would allow you to differentiate Aperture Science DS from Portal in two ways. First, I don't believe portal has the option for custom dialog or level groups. Second, if you wanted to change Aperture science's plot/make it Ratman's story with more detail, hold a contest where fans write the most compelling plot they can involving GLaDOS, and the winner's story gets implemented as the main story of the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-