growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
yeah i probably won't be updating this. it's somewhat disappointing but the last two weeks of developing this left a really bad taste and i had to rush a number of things to make the neocompo deadline. that being said, i am happy with what was achieved with this project, technically speaking anyway. the main thing i'd like to touch up is the lighting system which is pretty crappy (since i had to abandon lightmaps and never really took the time to polish the tesselation system i implemented for vertex lighting), and a lot of bugs which need fixing. and of course, it would be nice to implement all the features i thought the final game would have, like the campaign or the new puzzle elements (that last bit has actually been partly coded already, just unused in the current version).
of course the main reason why i stopped working on this and why i probably won't be going back to it is that i've been insanely busy with all sorts of 3DS stuff. and if everything goes according to plan, i'll be keeping busy with that for a while still.

Reactions: geoflcl

WoJjTeK

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Man it sucks that you have to abandon this project. I wish someone could continue this project, but it is very advanced so it needs a very skillful dev. On the other hand I'm happy that you're working on 3DS stuff , so keep up a good work :)

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
no. i'm not having this discussion again. http://smealum.net/?page_id=80 has all the info you could possibly need to make a newer, better version of DScraft.
I can't make a newer, better version of DSCraft yet so it won't really help me. But that's more because I'm not that experienced in coding yet.

Wolfgange

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and what makes you think having the source code would change that fact ?
When I jumped into DS programming, it was a dead end; I tried to make simple examples , but all of it (mostly the graphics side of it) was beyond me. When I stated helping out with Mine DS, simply interpreting the code helped me and allowed me to modify and add more features. To add something, you don't need to fully understand the code; You can learn in time by interpretation.

Reactions: Technicmaster0

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
When I jumped into DS programming, it was a dead end; I tried to make simple examples , but all of it (mostly the graphics side of it) was beyond me. When I stated helping out with Mine DS, simply interpreting the code helped me and allowed me to modify and add more features. To add something, you don't need to fully understand the code; You can learn in time by interpretation.

and that's exactly one of the things i want to avoid at all costs : people trying to learn from DScraft's code. the underlying ideas are sane, the implementation most definitely is not. so, i don't want people thinking it's a good example at *all*.

Wolfgange

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and that's exactly one of the things i want to avoid at all costs : people trying to learn from DScraft's code. the underlying ideas are sane, the implementation most definitely is not. so, i don't want people thinking it's a good example at *all*.

I see what you are pointing out, which is correct, but even if you don't want people to learn from it, since no one who has the talent to recreate dscraft has the time/interest to, wouldn't opening the source allow more novice programmers to experiment by implementing and learning from their own code rather than doing mass editing of yours?

For example, when a modder makes a generation mod for the real Minecraft, they wouldn't need to interpret all of the rendering techniques used. Instead they would focus on a small ounce of generation code that they would possible rewrite themselves. Therefore, the modder wouldn't need to learn from all the irrelevant code; instead they could use the setup as a sandbox for testing their own creations and generators.

Reactions: Technicmaster0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended