Homebrew [PLEASE HELP] Wii u bricked!

D

Deleted User

Only difference I've seen between your guide and his guide is he has a better url, so I don't get all the hate either, btw in section 8 of your wiiubru dumping guide you mention eeprom at the top but you dont mention if one should bother keeping it on or off, I assumed on from past experience but some people might need to be told everything goes on.
Seeprom is explained as "Serial EEPROM" and other lines.
It's not mine, It's written by me and Pwsincd. And yes, everything is explained unlike your wiiu.guide.

coolfuze

Trophies
XP
Country
Seeprom is explained as "Serial EEPROM" and other lines.
It's not mine, It's written by me and Pwsincd. And yes, everything is explained unlike your wiiu.guide.
So you have a hand in writing it, point is
  • You should see following options: SLC: <yes>, SLCMTTP <yes>, MLC <no>, OTP <yes>
There is no option for SEEPROM <yes>, most people don't care enough to read the explained, most people just read the steps and what no to do to avoid a brick.

D

Deleted User

So you have a hand in writing it, point is
  • You should see following options: SLC: <yes>, SLCMTTP <yes>, MLC <no>, OTP <yes>
There is no option for SEEPROM <yes>, most people don't care enough to read the explained, most people just read the steps and what no to do to avoid a brick.
SEEPROM notes are included in OTP so you don't need to dump both and it doesn't take process in unbricking.

D

Deleted User

That's interesting to know but doesn't answer most people's question about EEPROM <yes> or <no>, that's my critique.
I personally would dump it, but it's use is unknown.
It's only known to be used to verify console ban status and other crap like program version.

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
I personally would dump it, but it's use is unknown.
It's only known to be used to verify console ban status and other crap like program version.
It's probably worth telling people to dump it when you consider that is also has a seed that the USB encryption key is derived from as well as the boot flags and drive key for the system.

Reactions: coolfuze
D

Deleted User

It's probably worth telling people to dump it when you consider that is also has a seed that the USB encryption key is derived from as well as the boot flags and drive key for the system.
Never knew that. Thanks for letting me know, time to edit both guides.

coolfuze

Trophies
XP
Country
List the problems with it and I'll fix them. Go ahead. All I've seen from you are personal attacks and no substance.
Not trying to derail the topic with politics but this thread has become reminiscent of SJW issues with Trump or other right wing youtubers. They throw around words like racist or sexist or nazi or many other variations but when you ask them what this person has said or done to give them this label their answer basically comes down to "They just are" and if you continue pushing the question you get labeled the same.

Btw @Plailect I just want to personally thank you for another amazing guide. I followed it with success and have recommended it to other people who have followed it with great success too.

Last edited by coolfuze,

Plailect

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not trying to derail the topic with politics but this thread has become reminiscent of SJW issues with Trump or other right wing youtubers. They throw around words like racist or sexist or nazi or many other variations but when you ask them what this person has said or done to give them this label their answer basically comes down to "They just are" and if you continue pushing the question you get labeled the same.

Btw @Plailect I just want to personally thank you for another amazing guide. I followed it with success and have recommended it to other people who have followed it with great success too.

:)

you should make both vwii and cbhc installation optional instead of mandatory
since they're are not essential for wii u backup/dlc/vc loading

vWii hacking is definitely optional already, and what reason would you not want to use CBHC? Seems like a no-brainer to install it to me, but maybe I'm missing something?

coolfuze

Trophies
XP
Country
you should make both vwii and cbhc installation optional instead of mandatory
since they're are not essential for wii u backup/dlc/vc loading

edit: nevermind about vwii, guide was updated since last time i checked

CBHC is also optional, From the page This page is optional. Regular Haxchi works just fine as is; this just offers extra convenience. If you would like to skip Haxchi, continue to Homebrew Launcher (Channel).

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
List the problems with it and I'll fix them. Go ahead. All I've seen from you are personal attacks and no substance.

Although im clearly biased towards the use of the appstore..

Why is almost the fist step in your guide to install the appstore .. but then you continue to ask a user to copy over files for other apps ? i just think if your going to recommend installing the appstore then why wouldnt you guide them to simply install apps using it ?

The main concern seems to be the lack of guidance with regards to nand/otp/seeprom backups prior to CBHC.

New guide theme is nice btw.

Last edited by pwsincd,

coolfuze

Trophies
XP
Country
CBHC is convenient but at the end of the day it is optional, I've got a brother who loves to format his ps3 on average once a week if not more often so erase his saves and start fresh so some people might not want something that can easily brick their WiiU if handled improperly, but I installed CBHC anyways because of the convenience and I just moved the location of Don't touch me icon to the last page and put on a pin on all the profiles.

coolfuze

Trophies
XP
Country
you may also want to enable parental controls for increased safety (you can block access to memory management and system format there)
That's what I meant :P Thanks though. I wonder though does a pin prevent from erasing the profile that belongs to the game?

Last edited by coolfuze,
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
I haven't installed CBHC yet. I've never been much of a CFW user; generally only using them to dump /vol/system_slc/logs; and am happy with Haxchi. Sure, I could install CBHC, but I wouldn't use any of the CFW features on a regular basis and I'd lose some of my ability to screw around with unusual fw.imgs (like Minute) and of course there's the (tiny) risk there as well. There are totally legit use cases for not wanting CBHC. Personally, I'm just happy with the way it is now.

Reactions: dronesplitter

Aglaophotis

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I personally really like your guides and find them very well written and helpful. Your 3DS guide even played a large part in why I got interested in modding Nintendo consoles a few months ago. :)
It just sadly became a common practice among certain users to badmouth your Wii U guide, despite it being updated, got rid of redNAND etc.

There's one thing worth to mention though: In my opinion, it would make more sense to add NAND backup before installing CBHC and not as a final step, so people who mess something up during that part at least have a chance to unbrick with hardmod. I know nothing should happen when following the guide to the letter, but still CBHC seems to be the number one brick reason.

D

Deleted User

There's one thing worth to mention though: In my opinion, it would make more sense to add NAND backup before installing CBHC and not as a final step, so people who mess something up during that part at least have a chance to unbrick with hardmod. I know nothing should happen when following the guide to the letter, but still CBHC seems to be the number one brick reason.
Your last sentence: Yes, you can brick even if you follow it 100%. CBHC writes to SLC so if something gets screwed or it corrupts DS VC game in process, you will brick.
So, there's always a minimal brick chance.

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
You technically don't even need a NAND backup to repair a bad CBHC with a hardmod - OTP and SEEPROM should be sufficient, since you can use the hardmod to make a new dump, decrypt and fix system.xml, re-encrypt it and flash it back onto the console. There's tools to do this (search around for "Wii U NAND Tools")

Candre

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey, I'm new here, and I'm interested in hacking my console. I don't know how to say this, but... Let's start from beginning. Well, yesterday I was thinking in install Super Mario Maker in my HDD, so I got a new 32GB SD Card, copied some files from wiiu.guide, and started the process. I sucessfully got into homebrew launcher and started the Wup Installer GX2. Checked the game and the update file, and it began to install. Once it's finished, the Installer showed to me a message that everything was installed and then I clicked OK. My nightmares started, my Wii U froze, I panicked, tried to search some solution and nothing, until I decided to turn off my console. I turned on my Wii U and saw that it was completely fine with Mario Maker Installed.

Now I'm afraid to install BOTW, since I don't know if my Wii U frozes again, it will survive. Someone please help me.
I didn't ever change my Wii U, never installed a CFW (Haxchi and CBHC or Mocha), or entered Homebrew Channel (This was my first time).
I didn't change my DNS either.
Just want to play Legit games (I don't want the DLC's).

What could happen if I still don't change my DNS?
Is there's any problem if the WUP Installer GX2 freeze after the process again?
I can install just the game, and update through Wii U menu?

Please, tell me what I can and can't do. What are the risks. I don't want to brick my console. Thank you for your attention!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-