Gaming Please advice a decent game... Definitely not Mario!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
I don't own a 3DS I have a DS Lite, I was a huge fan of ALTTP I still play it to this day I prefer the GBA version for the enhanced 32-Bit sound instead of the SNES versions 16-Bit sound. I've heard a bunch of mixed reviews of ALBW, IMO the game seems like a fun concept and I would enjoy it but from some of the negative reviews i've read I question it a bit.

If you like the whole idea behind characters growing bonds with each other based on how a conversation goes between the characters. for example the user chooses his/her characters phrases if the conversation goes bad the bond weakens. you would like Xenoblade Chronicles it's a 3D 3rd person RPG/Action/Adventure game. Fighting off machines that destroy villages, Wielding a sword that lets you see the future and escape near death situations, a Story about 2 males 1 female childhood friends saving the world from these Machines called Mechon(About 3 times as big as any human in the game). it sounds like a great video game to me.
Yea, I'll be picking up Xenoblade on release.
Zelda ALBW was just not fun. I tried to like it, but as soon as I reached Lorule, I gave up. there was no direction in the game, and I didn't feel like I could connect to any NPC, or care about any one of them. Maybe I'll try to power through it with a walk through beside me, but other wise I have a nice big backlog to worry about with games that are worth my time better.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Try Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate or wait for Monster Hunter 4 - it's a good pick-up-and-play game. If you're willing to experiment with dungeon crawlers, go for Etrian Odyssey Untold or Persona Q (you said no SMT, but this one really doesn't play like your average SMT).

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why I need an emulator, when I have a PSP myself? I do not want to play a PSP game or a Vita game or a DS game, I want to see a decent 3DS game, which does not fit usual mainstream as I can see through this thread...

I was offering something for Android solution. Starting to side with everyone else on this thread now, seems you've played everything in existence. Just give up on video gaming as a hobby and find something else at this point.

Scorp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Have you played Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (Nintendo DS)?

Well, it is 3rd time I am telling "Yes" :) And I really played a lot of games on DS, so lets concentrate on 3ds-only...

Try Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate or wait for Monster Hunter 4 - it's a good pick-up-and-play game. If you're willing to experiment with dungeon crawlers, go for Etrian Odyssey Untold or Persona Q (you said no SMT, but this one really doesn't play like your average SMT).
Well, I also replied this before. I played MH3 on PSP. And it was really boring for single player.. I am not at all into online gaming, especially for handheld consoles, and if I understand correctly, all of fun in this game is in online. So seems it is not ok for this reason...

What I search mostly, is some really decent story. So as dungeon crawlers I really doubt that there is any decent story, as all meaning of dungeon crawler is in gameplay, not in the story. Correct me if it is not so.

I was offering something for Android solution. Starting to side with everyone else on this thread now, seems you've played everything in existence. Just give up on video gaming as a hobby and find something else at this point.
You are not original at all. There were at least 5 persons before you who wanted to tell same thing in same or different words. If you cannot suggest anything normal - why bother to reply? But no, everyone want to reply, no matter if he have something valuable to say or not...

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Seems a problem as you bought a 3DS but want to avoid every major games from Nintendo (Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, etc...) when most of the big/best games on 3DS are those from Nintendo.

kingsora831

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol. buys a system and dislikes 98% of all the games it plays. especially the exclusives, what an asinine purchase.
when you get through with the 2-5 games you'll enjoy playing, sell the system to someone who will actually enjoy playing it and get yourself a mobile phone, you'll probably find more games you'll enjoy there.
Not gonna bother recommending a game because you're just gonna shoot it down anyway.

Btw, FE, BD & Tales on your list of game recommendations fail the less than 20 hours requirement as each are easily 40-60 hours minimum.

& just some advice, dont have such rigorous standards for a "type" of game to play (if you can call it that). try things out, even if you think you might hate them and you'll enjoy gaming much more. Also, watching someone else play doesn't count as you playing it yourself.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Sorry the replies in the thread are so shitty Scorp. GBAtemp was NOT the right place to ask this and expect people to give you an honest response without going off topic.

At this point in the 3DS's life there just are not games with sophisticated engaging story lines. As you've noticed Fire Emblem's story is not deep and the characters are pretty cookie-cutter anime. We're talking 9-year-old girl but it's "okay" to sexualize her because she's a 12,000 year old dragon levels of anime. Bravely Default is surprisingly not that grindy, especially later in the game, but again the story isn't anything too special as far as role playing games go. People don't often understand that even though Rune Factory games are JRPGs the stories have still been completely shallow or non-existent. And as much as people here love Monster Hunter it is ridiculous to think anyone plays the series for its story and lack of grinding.

There's Citizens of Earth on 3DS which gets endless Earthbound comparisons. I couldn't tell you if it's good story, short, or grindy though. Cave Story has been mentioned which is nice if you haven't played it before. There's Coneption II which is really creepy and I don't know anything about. There's a Tales game but I doubt it's what you want in terms of time and grind. It's also probably unbearably anime. There's the port of Metal Gear Solid 3 if you haven't played that and like MGS, which would be weird, and the samegoes for the Resident Evil. If you're familiar with the characters Puyo Puyo 20th has... a story. There's Project X Zone which I also don't know.Also Unchained Blades, which I bet has a more bland story than the first Etrian Odysee. Another World is worth an honorable mention.

All that said I would not say a 3DS isn't for you. The library right now just doesn't have what you are looking for right now. The 3DS is a young system. Give it time.
There is a Xeno-rerelease on the way if you haven't played the Wii one. There's Majora's Mask (I KNOW you said no Zelda, but it has a decent story for Zelda and can be short) on the way which is worth a 10th playthrough. There's that Steam Project thing. The Puzzles and Dragons for the 3DS is going to be more of a traditional RPG and not a mobile phone cash grab, so we'll see how that goes. Eternal Eden is coming eventually and that reviewed well on PC.

Again. I'm sorry you posted this on GBAtemp seriously. Better luck next time.

Reactions: Hiccup

Scorp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Sorry the replies in the thread are so shitty Scorp. GBAtemp was NOT the right place to ask this and expect people to give you an honest response without going off topic.

At this point in the 3DS's life there just are not games with sophisticated engaging story lines. As you've noticed Fire Emblem's story is not deep and the characters are pretty cookie-cutter anime. We're talking 9-year-old girl but it's "okay" to sexualize her because she's a 12,000 year old dragon levels of anime. Bravely Default is surprisingly not that grindy, especially later in the game, but again the story isn't anything too special as far as role playing games go. People don't often understand that even though Rune Factory games are JRPGs the stories have still been completely shallow or non-existent. And as much as people here love Monster Hunter it is ridiculous to think anyone plays the series for its story and lack of grinding.

There's Citizens of Earth on 3DS which gets endless Earthbound comparisons. I couldn't tell you if it's good story, short, or grindy though. Cave Story has been mentioned which is nice if you haven't played it before. There's Coneption II which is really creepy and I don't know anything about. There's a Tales game but I doubt it's what you want in terms of time and grind. It's also probably unbearably anime. There's the port of Metal Gear Solid 3 if you haven't played that and like MGS, which would be weird, and the samegoes for the Resident Evil. If you're familiar with the characters Puyo Puyo 20th has... a story. There's Project X Zone which I also don't know.Also Unchained Blades, which I bet has a more bland story than the first Etrian Odysee. Another World is worth an honorable mention.

All that said I would not say a 3DS isn't for you. The library right now just doesn't have what you are looking for right now. The 3DS is a young system. Give it time.
There is a Xeno-rerelease on the way if you haven't played the Wii one. There's Majora's Mask (I KNOW you said no Zelda, but it has a decent story for Zelda and can be short) on the way which is worth a 10th playthrough. There's that Steam Project thing. The Puzzles and Dragons for the 3DS is going to be more of a traditional RPG and not a mobile phone cash grab, so we'll see how that goes. Eternal Eden is coming eventually and that reviewed well on PC.

Again. I'm sorry you posted this on GBAtemp seriously. Better luck next time.

Thank you very much for your post. You seems one of the few, who read topic seriously, not like 9-year old... My issue is that I did a haste buy, as thought in 4 years would be enough of the various games for a console. At least on DS in same time were plenty, and 3ds seems completely targeted on kids. This topic actually just confims that... Also it is a pity (i never expected that) how angry all these "scene" people are, never thinking of anything outside, real fanboys, fighting anyone who want something different on a console and even never think outside of that fanobyerism. If in topic were jusr people like you and few others, we would come to 5-7 messages and everyone, especially me, would be happy with all...

I am not against anime, i can consume any graphic style, but main issue that a decent story seems have only VN like VLR or Attorney series... Anyway, as you told, will wait and will see, if there would come any good (but with current situation it is unlikely, when pokemon and morhun are the best games ever)...

Reactions: Thomas12345

chrisluna413

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much for your post. You seems one of the few, who read topic seriously, not like 9-year old... My issue is that I did a haste buy, as thought in 4 years would be enough of the various games for a console. At least on DS in same time were plenty, and 3ds seems completely targeted on kids. This topic actually just confims that... Also it is a pity (i never expected that) how angry all these "scene" people are, never thinking of anything outside, real fanboys, fighting anyone who want something different on a console and even never think outside of that fanobyerism. If in topic were jusr people like you and few others, we would come to 5-7 messages and everyone, especially me, would be happy with all...

I am not against anime, i can consume any graphic style, but main issue that a decent story seems have only VN like VLR or Attorney series... Anyway, as you told, will wait and will see, if there would come any good (but with current situation it is unlikely, when pokemon and morhun are the best games ever)...

ok, glad we agree that this thread is done.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS got a really slow start and third parties are just now catching up. They also don't make RPGs as much as they used to for any system.

I don't have a problem with anime graphic style, I just mean the character tropes. It gets to a point where you have already seen every character and heard every voice actor and know exactly what to expect; it's lazy writing.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact you came in here and treated this as a troll post is why everyone answered as they did. Every suggestion you shot down or answered with an "I've played it" comment, looking for games that just don't exist. You wanted suggestions and got them, and weren't happy with the results. Heran answered you with what you need, and it sounds like this is not the system for you. Personally I like Nintendo as I feel they're the only quality original game maker available anymore for console. Anywhere else you go you can't get away from recycled dev teams that recycle title's that had a good first series game.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Personally, it's not like I don't want to answer seriously, just don't have any idea. I bought the 3DS mainly for the Nintendo exclusives so I couldn't really help you with third party games when I dont really play any :/ (and also need to know Nintendo systems don't have know a lot of third-party games, at least, good ones).

And unfortunately, most of the actual games, even on other systems, aren't really made for their story. For example, I don't really think anyone play Far Cry 4 or Uncharted 3 for the story :/ (same for a Zelda, at least, I don't play Zelda for the story, it's near always the same).

If you only like games with story, maybe point 'n click/adventure games is your style, but there isn't much on 3DS I think, the best system for that would be a PC.

On other systems, I would have been able to answer easily for games with (I think) good story, like Deus Ex games, Tex Murphy games, lots of old/new point 'n click games (Broken Sword games, Blackwell Legacy games, all the old LucasArts games), etc...

Scorp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
The 3DS got a really slow start and third parties are just now catching up. They also don't make RPGs as much as they used to for any system.

I don't have a problem with anime graphic style, I just mean the character tropes. It gets to a point where you have already seen every character and heard every voice actor and know exactly what to expect; it's lazy writing.

Agree, it is really boring, and it is what I meant about cliches... As I told it seems that main auditory is kids, while DS was for all variety of players...

Anyway, seems no one would suggest anything more, as seems RPG I can count with my fingers, adventure genre just dead on 3ds (with 2 exclusions), all other genres mostly cannot deliver a good sophisicated storyline (and usually it is not needed, as ppl play for gameplay, not for story).

The fact you came in here and treated this as a troll post is why everyone answered as they did. Every suggestion you shot down or answered with an "I've played it" comment, looking for games that just don't exist. You wanted suggestions and got them, and weren't happy with the results. Heran answered you with what you need, and it sounds like this is not the system for you. Personally I like Nintendo as I feel they're the only quality original game maker available anymore for console. Anywhere else you go you can't get away from recycled dev teams that recycle title's that had a good first series game.

I never treated this as a troll post. I was serious all the time. If someone see a post, where is a request of a decent story "not from nintendo" as a troll post - it is not my problem, it is you who is wrong. World have more than 1 company, you know. And as DS have exact the variety of games I wanted, and there was no problem to find some. I am explaining this in 10 time it seems. But you (not exact yourself, but "you" from this forum) prefer to do not see the words and continue to behave as underages. Not normal at all.

Personally, it's not like I don't want to answer seriously, just don't have any idea. I bought the 3DS mainly for the Nintendo exclusives so I couldn't really help you with third party games when I dont really play any :/ (and also need to know Nintendo systems don't have know a lot of third-party games, at least, good ones).

And unfortunately, most of the actual games, even on other systems, aren't really made for their story. For example, I don't really think anyone play Far Cry 4 or Uncharted 3 for the story :/ (same for a Zelda, at least, I don't play Zelda for the story, it's near always the same).

If you only like games with story, maybe point 'n click/adventure games is your style, but there isn't much on 3DS I think, the best system for that would be a PC.

On other systems, I would have been able to answer easily for games with (I think) good story, like Deus Ex games, Tex Murphy games, lots of old/new point 'n click games (Broken Sword games, Blackwell Legacy games, all the old LucasArts games), etc...
Please read my previous comment. I obv played lot of PC games, including Broken Sword, Blackwell, Deus Ex, Indiana Jones, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle and others. I only want to have a decent game for this exact 3ds, nothing else. If everyone would understand this (I do not mean you here, it is just a retrospective for prev pages) and would not start jerking around, topic would be of 5 messages max and everyone would be satisfied. But no, it is gbatemp, it cannot be so... Bunch of smart-asses always here.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Unfortunately, RPG become more and more rare since the PS3/360 era (there were still a lot of them during the PS2 era), even on other systems. (at least, j-rpg ones).

Scorp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
I would even say - unfortunately, people degrade a lot in recent years. I mean - looks at mass media. Films - more special FX, less story. Same for games - gfx going on insane mode, no brain or story involved. All gets simplified, and people got degraded to think that it is normal. No one cares of anyone. Very pity.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are not original at all. There were at least 5 persons before you who wanted to tell same thing in same or different words. If you cannot suggest anything normal - why bother to reply? But no, everyone want to reply, no matter if he have something valuable to say or not...

Negative Nancy - No one likes a Debbie Downer. Quit putting down people trying to help you and maybe you'll get some better response.

And as DS have exact the variety of games I wanted, and there was no problem to find some. I am explaining this in 10 time it seems. But you (not exact yourself, but "you" from this forum) prefer to do not see the words and continue to behave as underages. Not normal at all.

A variety of games that I saw plenty of people suggest that you time and again said "no" to. It seems you've played them all and no one has any suggestions for you. You want a game you don't dump a lot of time in but it seems you've dumped plenty of time into the games you wanted to play and now there aren't any more to satisfy you. That's a big troll even if you don't think it is.

Anyway, if this was an impulse purchase 4 years ago and it still has nothing to offer to you, just return it. Seems you can do your own research without the rabble here. Again, quit wasting everyone's time and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu