Hardware People, just get a DS Lite!

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
There's a lot of people that complain that Nintendo updated the firmware of their 3DS, and their flashcarts don't work anymore. The easy fix is to not update your 3DS, or purchase a DS lite. I think that the OP was aiming this thread at those that updated their 3DS. Nobody is forcing anybody else to do anything.

Not exactly, he said the same thing on his previous thread, about how almost every flashcard sucks and CycloDS was the ''best flashcard around'', if people were smart they would wait for a flashcard update and THEN update their 3DS system.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not exactly, he said the same thing on his previous thread, about how almost every flashcard sucks and CycloDS was the ''best flashcard around'', if people were smart they would wait for a flashcard update and THEN update their 3DS system.

The Evo and iEvo are the best flashcarts. I own three of them and would never touch an R4 clone. Just because you prefer a different flashcart don't mean you gotta shit on this thread.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The Evo and iEvo are the best flashcarts. I own three of them and would never touch an R4 clone. Just because you prefer a different flashcart don't mean you gotta shit on this thread.

The problem is prefering a different flashcard or not, the problem is praising over a flashcard like some sort of god, instead of pointing me fingers like I'm guilty of some shit I'll give you the link of his pathetic thread.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/still-the-best-flashcart-around.351419/

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is prefering a different flashcard or not, the problem is praising over a flashcard like some sort of god, instead of pointing me fingers like I'm guilty of some shit I'll give you the link of his pathetic thread.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/still-the-best-flashcart-around.351419/

There's a lot of members here that defend certain brands of flashcarts, it's pointless to try to change the way they think. I used to be like that too, until cyclops quit supporting their products. The cycloDS is a good quality product, to bad it came to an end the way it did.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't have this problem. Sure the games don't look as good but you get used to it, I hardly ever think about it at this point.
The D-Pad placement isn't optimal, but it's a non-issue for me. I never think it's inferior because of its placement and it's never bothered me.

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
People, just get a DSi XL. Supercomfortable grip, no breaking/cracking issues, nice stereo sound, some of the most beautiful LCDs i've seen on an handheld (true to life bright colors and no vertical/horizontal shift to speak of, almost like an IPS lcd).

Doing circles around that muddy mess of grayed out color blerbs that are DS games upscaled to 3DS screens. Stop deluding yourselves into thinking DS games on 3DS can be "great". They're just ok.

I concede you can use your 3DS XL for SOME ds games that benefits from the analog stick. Your thumb can sure hurt while playing Mario 64 on the d-pad. You know what, just buy a legit Mario 64 cartridge and update your 3DS to your likings. And play every other game on a DSi XL.

Btw you can safely ignore any non-XL console. There may be minor advantages here and there (btw AUDIO is not one: true the original 3DS is a bit louder than the XL, but it's also more metallic/tinny, overall worse to me), but the loss of EPICNESS is that bad. There's no going back to non-XL.

DSi XL and 3DS XL is where it's at. The rest is collectionism. If you're considering the DS Lite for the ADDED bonus of playing GBA games, just find another way to play GBA games. Stop trying to find a "one size fits all" solution when you have other inexpensive alternatives.

Reactions: Arm73

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
People, just get a DSi XL. Supercomfortable grip, no breaking/cracking issues, nice stereo sound, some of the most beautiful LCDs i've seen on an handheld (true to life bright colors and no vertical/horizontal shift to speak of, almost like an IPS lcd).

Doing circles around that muddy mess of grayed out color blerbs that are DS games upscaled to 3DS screens. Stop deluding yourselves into thinking DS games on 3DS can be "great". They're just ok.

I concede you can use your 3DS XL for SOME ds games that benefits from the analog stick. Your thumb can sure hurt while playing Mario 64 on the d-pad. You know what, just buy a legit Mario 64 cartridge and update your 3DS to your likings. And play every other game on a DSi XL.

Btw you can safely ignore any non-XL console. There may be minor advantages here and there (btw AUDIO is not one: true the original 3DS is a bit louder than the XL, but it's also more metallic/tinny, overall worse to me), but the loss of EPICNESS is that bad. There's no going back to non-XL.

DSi XL and 3DS XL is where it's at. The rest is collectionism. If you're considering the DS Lite for the ADDED bonus of playing GBA games, just find another way to play GBA games. Stop trying to find a "one size fits all" solution when you have other inexpensive alternatives.

We don't care.
3DS > DS < DSi

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A better worded way to say this to people is If you don't want to worry about firmware updates buy older consoles, why not the DSi XL for ds flash carts are they still pushing out firmwares?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
A better worded way to say this to people is If you don't want to worry about firmware updates buy older consoles, why not the DSi XL for ds flash carts are they still pushing out firmwares?
It's been over seven months since the last DSi/XL firmware update, Nintendo hasn't announced anything new... but they might push one more, for example, 1.4.5 came out way later than the others and caught everybody by surprised.

But yeah eventually the DSi/XL will be usable... but you have no slot-2.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been over seven months since the last DSi/XL firmware update, Nintendo hasn't announced anything new... but they might push one more, for example, 1.4.5 came out way later than the others and caught everybody by surprised.

But yeah eventually the DSi/XL will be usable... but you have no slot-2.

Another reason why I liked using the 3ds xl was because it seemed to have better viewing angles imo but I had to sale mine for moneys :(

DSiXLs are starting to get harder to find locally

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSi XL ftw. I bought mine on release day, bronze color. If the 3DS gets cracked and the homebrew devs learn of the DSi mode, maybe this could benefit the DSi too.

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
don't get me wrong, the slider is great for RPGS, and games where you have to keep a direction pressed, but Fighting or Strategy games Not so much. but it depends on the game. and i cant say i regret playing all the DS games on a DS Before the 3DS came out. its only a minor issue or inconvenience either way.

i find you get used to whatever controls you're using over time. just like people say that Sanwa or Happ Arcade sticks are better for Street Fighter tournaments, but a SNES controller works just as good.

Well I can't argue with the fighting games statement you made. I never play them but yes a D-Pad is the way to go.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've stuck to a DSLite mostly as it had all I want at the moment, there is a few 3DS games that are interesting but the 3D feature plays with my eyes and as such makes me reluctent to buy one I know I can turn off that feature but I feel that would be gimping the device.

My DSLite setup keeps me happy enough with a (Genuine) DSTT in slot 1 Loaded with a 16GB Class 6 and a EZ3in1 in slot 2 Plays all I throw at it so far so Im not complaining

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I've stuck to a DSLite mostly as it had all I want at the moment, there is a few 3DS games that are interesting but the 3D feature plays with my eyes and as such makes me reluctent to buy one I know I can turn off that feature but I feel that would be gimping the device.
It really doesn't. It's just an optional gimmick, and nothing more. It's really cool and all, and helps with depth perception in games in general, but it's nothing you absolutely need to play the game. My girlfriend plays hers with 3D off all the time, and she still has a blast.

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You can't be serious the DSi has the crappiest shop ever & in my opinion DS on 3DS looks great your deluding yourself I'd rather get a 3DS reg or XL .

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
You can't be serious the DSi has the crappiest shop ever & in my opinion DS on 3DS looks great your deluding yourself I'd rather get a 3DS reg or XL .

I love the supermarket_with_air_conditioning background music of the DSi shop and I love the fact that if you're lucky you can buy 3000 points cards for half their original price 'cause people (shops?) wanna get rid of them nowadays. Recently I bought two 3000 points cards (60€ worth of DSiware) for 30€ total, off ebay.

That said:

1) Who said you have to buy only one of them? I've said it 1000 times: if you're ON A BUDGET, of course just get a 3DS. Now let's leave out all the people on a budget. For everyone who can easily shell out 80$/80€ for a good condition DSi XL: buy one before prices skyrocket. DSi XL is no DS Lite, price-wise. The market isn't flooded with clones/refurbs that lower the price. There aren't tons of DSi XL around to begin with. I'm probably gonna buy a second one just to be on the safe side.

2) This is not yahoo answers (with all due respect). The point of thread like this (on a board like this) is not to settle for what's "good enough". It's to debate about what plays best on what. DS games on 3DS are only good enough. If you think they look "great", you've never done a side by side comparison with a DSi XL.

3) and this is not summer 2010. Chances are people considering a DSL/DSi/DSixl in 2013 aren't debating between buying a DS or holding on for a 3DS, they're probably people passionate enough to care for the little things that make the difference between playing DS games on the proper screens or playing them where they're just an afterthought. Regular/casual people will get a 3DS anyways, since you can barely find new DSes any more and they can be pricier than 3DSes. A brand new sealed DSi XL will cost you a little fortune nowadays.

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love the supermarket_with_air_conditioning background music of the DSi shop and I love the fact that if you're lucky you can buy 3000 points cards for half their original price 'cause people (shops?) wanna get rid of them nowadays. Recently I bought two 3000 points cards (60€ worth of DSiware) for 30€ total, off ebay.

That said:

1) Who said you have to buy only one of them? I've said it 1000 times: if you're ON A BUDGET, of course just get a 3DS. Now let's leave out all the people on a budget. For everyone who can easily shell out 80$/80€ for a good condition DSi XL: buy one before prices skyrocket. DSi XL is no DS Lite, price-wise. The market isn't flooded with clones/refurbs that lower the price. There aren't tons of DSi XL around to begin with. I'm probably gonna buy a second one just to be on the safe side.

2) This is not yahoo answers (with all due respect). The point of thread like this (on a board like this) is not to settle for what's "good enough". It's to debate about what plays best on what. DS games on 3DS are only good enough. If you think they look "great", you've never done a side by side comparison with a DSi XL.

3) and this is not summer 2010. Chances are people considering a DSL/DSi/DSixl in 2013 aren't debating between buying a DS or holding on for a 3DS, they're probably people passionate enough to care for the little things that make the difference between playing DS games on the proper screens or playing them where they're just an afterthought. Regular/casual people will get a 3DS anyways, since you can barely find new DSes any more and they can be pricier than 3DSes. A brand new sealed DSi XL will cost you a little fortune nowadays.

When I got my 3DS I compared the Ds on 3DS vs a DSi XL because I borrowed a friends XL & i've said it before i'll say it again in my opinion DS looks better on 3DS.I've bought a DSi & regreted buying it after I saw the 3DS because dsi is for babies most of the dsiware is for a 3 or 4 year old in my opinion.I'm guessing you don't have a 3DS you should upgrade 3DS is way better. If you hold start or select while booting a DS game it will play in its original res.

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
I own more 3DSes than I'd like and less DSes than I'd like.

Of course kids and people willing to invest on a single handheld should just buy a 3DS nowadays, you made the right call.

Still, DS games look better on a DSi XL, LCDs are not made for non-native resolutions, it's a fact and it will always be.

Start+select mode is a buzzkiller with all that black and the stamp-sized screens (I don't care that on a 3DS XL they're sized like a on a DS, I care that they're far smaller than a DSi XL).

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own more 3DSes than I'd like and less DSes than I'd like.

Of course kids and people willing to invest on a single handheld should just buy a 3DS nowadays, you made the right call.

Still, DS games look better on a DSi XL, LCDs are not made for non-native resolutions, it's a fact and it will always be.

Start+select mode is a buzzkiller with all that black and the stamp-sized screens (I don't care that on a 3DS XL they're sized like a on a DS, I care that they're far smaller than a DSi XL).

That's your opinion that it looks better on DSi XL is not fact just like my own opinion some people will agree & some will not that's like me saying the sky is blue & you saying it's purple opinions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1