Hardware PC gaming rig .. the beginnings...

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Looking for some guidance guys ... Im looking to create a gaming pc for my son , however were on a budget as most are... Its his birthday coming soon and i wanted to begin by buying a Standardish PC that has the capability to become a more powerful gaming orientated rig . What would you recommend as the beginnings of this project , to still allow us a working PC that is capable of a progressive upgrade ?

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
well to be fair , the budget is always as little as possible , and im not wanting to go all out super rig , just a middle to high end will do . I dont know the price to expect for what im asking. It maybe that i cant afford this route at all and need to think more about a pc build from scratch.. I was hoping for a fuctional unit that can be developed.

so budget to a degree unknown . If i said £200 i would be laughed at im sure .. if i said £700 i would be expecting to be told youll get a decent setup. But somewhere in that gap is a pc that will function and have the best capabilities for better performance upgrades.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you settled for 720p gaming it is doable under 700 pounds, but for 1080p full HD gaming you likely have to spend more without cutting corners.

geishroy

Suspended
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think building your own will be out of your budget. People are going to tell you to get an i3 (or i5), 8gb value ram, something like a 7770+, 500gb hd, decent psu, decent mobo, budget case. I just think this will break your budget no matter how you look at it. Do you have access to a copy of windows, if not that will be another expense?

It may be best to find a used desktop on craigslist or similar site and just try to lowball, or find a cheap prebuild and hope it has a good enough psu to add a decent graphics card.

I spent $175 on an older gateway a few years back, I was broke during college. It was decent though, it came with an amd quad core I believe a mid-range phenom II, 8gb ram, 1tb hard drive. I put about $400 more into it for a good psu and video card over the next few months.

I have since stopped using it and have built a new i7 4770k, 16gb desktop. I have used the same PSU and GFX card in this current build, so maybe this could be an approach you take.

Do you have monitors and stuff as well? If not this will also add quite a bit to these costs.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
The whole point of my asking isnt my that i cant afford it per se , its more a cash flow thing ..

So i want to build or buy the begininnings of a system , that is functional . Then progressively over the following few months or so . Add higher end components , but want an idea of the basic setup i should go for to allow this to happen. What mobo , what psu , amount of mem , cpu , to kick things of before i begin adding high end gfx etc.

geishroy

Suspended
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well to start with function you are going to have to go with the bare minimum.

Case ($50-100)
Mobo ($70-150)
CPU ($120-250)
Ram 8gb ($60-80)
PSU ($50-150)
Graphics Card ($120-250)
HDD ($40-70)
Optical drive ($15-25)
OS if you do not pirate ($100)

So this is your basic budget for something like this. I would say out of the gate that you need to spend extra money on the CPU and the PSU. It is important not to cheap out on the PSU. The mobo you can go on the low end but I would not really recommend it either. You could go onboard graphics, you will not get very good performance, however if you are wanting something that just works then you may go onboard and get a graphics card later. You should not cheap out too much on the graphics card when you do buy it. I would go with a 7770 minimum. and that is very minimum. You may not actually need a optical drive, if you are just using steam or dling everything. You can just install windows from a USB drive. If something like this seems possible then I guess you can go for it. I just don't think you will be too happy with it is the problem. Again I would stress trying to find a deal on a decent prebuilt or used desktop.

I will try to get a list of parts together after I am done at work. Sorry.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If you want a progressive build, then start by getting good basics with a plan to save up until you can complete the build with good remaining parts. That in turn means you have 2 options, depending on what your immediate budget and needs are.
And as a note before I start explaining, needs refers to what you want to run on the PC (e.g. if you're happy with, say, Lego games or Valve games, games with lower requirements, as opposed to the latest Battlefield and Call of Duty games which are designed to demonstrate the capabilities of the latest flagship graphics technologies). "Gaming PC" can refer to a PC that can run facebook games and flash games, and it can also refer to enthusiast grade 4k resolution monitor gaming to make Crysis 3 as beautiful as can be. It can also refer to many levels inbetween.

Two routes, AMD and Intel.

AMD route means getting an APU (AMD's version of a CPU and GPU put together). The processing side of an APU is fairly weak (compared to Intel), but the integrated graphics is far better (good enough to play most games). AMD APUs also tend to end up much cheaper than the Intel route, although if you add a graphics card later down the line, potentially setting up CrossFire between the APU and GPU, the APU will be the bottleneck of the system.
  • CPU (APU): A10 7850K Black Edition, £130. 7700K version for £120.
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3H, £62.
  • RAM: Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Racing 2x4GB (2133Mhz), £75. Slower (1600Mhz) RAM can be found for £60 too.
  • HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Blue, £44.
  • Power supply: Corsair CX500M, £52.
  • DVD: Any, usually £12-13.
  • Case (quiet): Fractal R4, £80.
  • Case (cooling): Corsair Carbide 300R, £65.
No graphics card, but it has all the basics for £415-456. Cheaper cases do exist, but your choice of case will often end up in what you find aesthetically pleasing (like this casein the system I built last week for my brother). Likewise, cheaper motherboards do exist, but for a progressive build I think spending that extra £10 makes a significant difference in quality. APUs benefit from faster RAM speed because that's what the graphics use. Not much else to say.

Intel route means having a much stronger CPU, but the integrated graphics are subpar. Sure, it can run Crysis (at lowish settings), and will play games, but the framerates tend to be lower and some games create some quirky effects (like missing textures in Borderlands). On the other hand, when you finally put a good mid-range or high end graphics card in, it will last you years.
  • CPU: Core i5-4870 (K version is £6 more), £162.
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3, £79.
  • RAM: Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Racing 2x4GB (2133Mhz), £75. Slower (1600Mhz) RAM can be found for £60 too.
  • HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Blue, £44.
  • Power supply: Corsair CX500M, £52.
  • DVD: Any, usually £12-13.
  • Case (quiet): Fractal R4, £80.
  • Case (cooling): Corsair Carbide 300R, £65.
Again, no graphics card, but it's a strong system at £474-511. This time there is no point getting cheaper motherboards, but you can scale back on the CPU if you don't mind lower clock speeds (around £10 per 0.2Ghz). Faster RAM speeds give Haswell a 5-15% performance boost (more than any other Intel chipset before), but that's marginal in the bigger picture (then again, it's only £15 too, so it depends on budget).
For graphics, a GTX 750 Ti can be found for £110-125 depending on overclocks, 760 for £200, and 770 for £240-260. 750 Ti is enough for playing any game, although the 760 has more power and will handle higher resolutions and anti-aliasing (smoothing of graphics), whilst the 770 is high end and will take anything you throw at it.

These are just example builds to give you ideas. I can make more specific suggestions depending on your feedback (needs and whatnot). Also, shopping around can find some better deals too (e.g. ebuyer). I've also not included any SSD (which I strongly recommend when you can afford it), monitor, keyboard, mouse, Windows or extras (like memory card readers or speakers or CPU cooling).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do we have to include a monitor, keyboard and mouse in this (half nice for gaming mice do run enough to maybe stick you at the next level of parts)? What about buying an OS (OEM windows 7 of a reasonable version seems to run £50)? Would you have a basic case you can use/borrow for a little while? ATX has been the standard for years and getting one is £50 or more saved until you can find one in a few months, air flow will probably not be great but you can get by.

After this eh... I reckon you could put together a reasonable machine and then stick in a nice graphics card (most machines come with a nice onboard graphics card these days) in there a few months down the line. Without the card though it would not be much of a gaming machine, though you can do some serious damage to a lot of the humble bundle type games with such a machine.

You can happily buy lower end components and swap them out, trouble is you are then lumped with selling the parts on or taking a hit on the components. Other than the graphics card there is not an awful lot you can bolt on as far as building a games machine. This is not really like buying a house to do up or a second hand car -- most parts in a PC kind of need to be there.

You may however know someone looking to shift a lower end I3 or something -- rip out the PSU and stick a better one in along with a graphics card and you could hopefully settle for that for a little while. There are still CPU bound games but pick the games properly and graphics still count for a lot.

Going for a "buy a barebones system" then http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...wcm9kdWN0c1BlclBhZ2U9MjAmcF9zdHlsZT1kZXRhaWwm is as good as anything really, I would be hard pressed to beat a lot of those prices building it myself though I would probably drop the DVD drive or something. Likewise I might avoid some of them as I know I would never get far upgrading them.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
thanks for those replys guys , more like what i was hoping for , i havent the time to comment in detail ... real life just came crashing in , but i dont need any external hardware , just the tower ..

and to clarify , my sons a minecraft geek , and an avid youtuber .. all i hear from him is i need more FPS . Video editing / gaming . it isnt essential we run crysis at maxxed settings , were currently operation an an AMD a* i think it is , and its just not quite up to what we want . Will comment furhter later .. the mrs is wanting me to do life a little. :) BBL.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
AMD A8... then an easier upgrade path might be adding a SSD (makes everything snappy) and putting the rest into the graphics card, then at a later time swapping the APU (and maybe motherboard) for a stronger set (maybe Intel) when budget allows. Graphics would handle the FPS and gaming, and will definitely help with video editing, although encoding/converting those videos afterwards would still be bottlenecked by the A8.

For SSDs, 120GB can be found for £55-90, and 250GB can be found for £90-125.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you are going to build this PC overtime skip APU. It makes no sense to use them, since you eventually will offload GPU portion to dedicated GPU. Plus CPU portion on APU is substantially weaker than FX-4xxx, even if Kaveri is technically newer than Vishera. APU is unsuitable for video encoding and converting.

Where as you can easily upgrade GPU, CPU/APU upgrade often requires another motherboard (unless you plan to stick with the same socket, but that'll diminish upgrade value).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-