Operation Sunrise - Golden Sun 4?

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
i vote for a prequel to part 1. 1000 years in the past.
cant mess up on a prequel
Gears of War says hi.

I would LOVE a new Golden Sun. Imo it is a great RPG but I never really saw it heavily marketed. I didn't play the last one for DS, other games get in the way...
To be entirely blunt, as a big fan of the two GBA titles, the DS title isn't really that good. It had the main elements, but the points of no return and the overall weak story was hard to simply take in stride. The game also ended on a cliffhanger, which I absolutely hate, since if the developer ever cops out on making a sequel, you're just left in the dark indefinitely. It's a bullshit move.

Regardless, play the DS game at some point, since it retains the game play elements that made Golden Sun 1 & 2 fun, but don't expect the same experience. Now, I guess don't even expect the story to ever be concluded.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want Beyond The Beyond 2
nah just kidding :P I NEED a new Golden Sun game!

Since they parted ways with SEGA, Camelot (previously Sonic! Software Planning) never had enough infrastructure to develop this kind of games.
Think about the amount of RPGs that they have made with Sega, and compare it with the number of RPGs released as a Nintendo subsidiary (the entire Shinning Force franchise VS. Beyond the Beyond and the 3 GS games). Maybe it's Nintendo's fault, just focusing on releasing sports games, I really dont know...

That's why they took so long to make Dark Dawn. They're not Square... it's only a small developer (but a really good one :)).

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Golden Sun Dark Dawn had bigger problems than just ending on a cliff-hanger.
It's a big rant with plot-sensitive details so here you go.

Where do I begin, well the gameplay was certainly passable but there was a major problem, points of no return, twice. The first time wasn't really necessary and made it easy to miss Djinn, the second time was maybe a bit more necessary because you kinda screwed over the world with that eclipse.
The gameplay was too easy though, things don't even get relatively challenging until the post-game challenges like the return of Star Magician and Dullahan,

That's the minor problem though, the major problem was that too much of the plot was completely pointless, to the point that things get in the way of the actual plot which ALL gets pushed off onto the next game.
A synopsis: Dumbass friend breaks a flying contraption needed to investigate Mt Aleph so they can investigate a problem of Psynergy vortexes. In the quest to get the feather to fix the damn thing, the bad guys put you through a ton of shit that gets in the way, and leads into activating a dark eclipse which kinda destroys the world whilst it's active.
You finally undo the eclipse and everything's okay again, except we never learn a damn thing about the villain's motivations or why they coerce you into going everywhere they wanted, and whoops, we kinda forgot about those pesky Psynergy vortexes.

Not cool, when you look at it this way, this game can actually be completely skipped over as you never did anything you set out to do! You only had to undo the crap that the villains guided you into doing at all. In other words, Golden Sun 4 would actually be telling the story that should have been in Dark Dawn to begin with.

Now let's talk about your party members. Starts off alright, you have your Earth, Fire and Wind users. Later on at the first point of no return you get your first Water user, he's kinda useless though since he's a healer in a game that really doesn't need healing psynergy, just some healing items. But very soon after that you get your second Water user anyway, who actually works on an offensive front. Later on you get your next Wind user who is basically princess of furry town. She's important and likeable, she's well motivated and great in battle too, probably broken even. The next two party members felt like filler though to fill the role of 2nd Fire and Earth users. Your 2nd fire character joins up because his father dies as a result of the Dark Eclipse bullcrap, and your 2nd Earth character is a walking, barely talking plot device. Literally, she is awakened by a key item you grabbed and joins your party so she can use a single, plot-advancing psynergy. She never takes part in group discussion or interaction, isn't that exceptional in battle and isn't even well motivated, she just goes with it because it's her destiny after waking up from a very deep sleep.

I'm not as well-versed in Golden Sun lore so I do forget much of the significant locations from the past game, many seem to disappear from this game though as the geography of the world has drastically altered because of the Golden Sun event, to the point that some animals because half-human and some humans became half-animal in one town. I don't really have as much of a problem with this but I've heard of a few people being disappointed on this front too.

One last thing, the game can't stop reminding us that Isaac and his team were the great heroes of the world, re-enact the final boss of The Lost Ages, collect all these story-telling books, etc. Gets kinda annoying, more so when only Isaac and Garet even make appearances, the rest are barely even mentioned and seem to hold no stake in the story.

I suppose this about wraps it up. In a nut-shell the entire game could be disregarded as filler as too many questions raised in GS3 are left unanswered for GS4 in favour of just undoing mistakes the heroes keep making.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
IF only Capcom was sensible enough to listen to their fans.
@topic, i really have a hard time believing that the 3ds wil not get a golden sun in its lifetime.It's inevitable .
I don't know if they're going to get the fan response they need.

On top of only getting 340,000 sales in the US and a mere 40000 in all of Europe, it left a sour taste in a fair few peoples mouths.
Really, 40000 sales. http://www.vgchartz.com/game/35078/golden-sun-dark-dawn/
I know a lot of people criticize vgchartz's reliability, however to even pull up such a figure is immensely worrying.

Mirby

BDFF Hype~ :3
OP
Trophies
Website
mirbystudios.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
Umm... It's Camelot, not Capcom.

Two different companies.
I was talking about a whole different scenario ( I was wishing Capcom was as sensible as Camelot and we could have had monster hunter 3g in the west)

oh my mistake. i see what you meant now

carry on :P

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
before another one quotes that post, let me rephrase this:
a prequel cant mess up its chronological sequels.
dark dawn messed up what 1 and 2 started by not finishing it up right.
a 1000 year in the past prequel cant butcher our beloved main characters. in this case, the only ones at risk would be a handful of unimportant lemurians.

yar yar binks (i have no idea just what the fuck your problem is with him. i mean, at least he is not a fat, turd-lookalike slug that only speaks gibberish) did not mess up luke skywalkers noooooooo scene or the ewoks deadly jungle traps.

you can make a bad sequel, yes, but i'd rather have a bad sequel than a bad continuation

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I would personally buy a 3DS for GS4. I skipped out on Mario Tennis like some others due to the lack of RPG elements. But, didn't GS3 sell rather poorly compared to 1 and 2? I thought the music was worse, but not really a bad game.

Reactions: 1 person

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd like another Golden Sun game, or a remake of the original GBA titles in one bundle. I liked Dark Dawn but it was really freaking long and got a bit convoluted with the Djinni about half way through and it seemed like the game stopped being a challenge when you could mow down enemies in one round.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1