Homebrew ohneswanzenegger (Wii Entry -- PC Software)

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can get all the required information from a program running with MINI or ahbprot. and it would take all of 1/2 second to get that info and write it to the SD card. its just that nobody has written a program specifically for this. bootmii does it, but it dumps it with the entire nand.

and writing files without caring about the bad blocks can easily brick your wii. you are gambling that some important file such as part of the system menu IOS or system menu itself doesnt fall on that bad block. its like that game minesweeper.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bootmii writes it to keys.bin when you start a dump. If you only want the keys you can abort the NAND dump process.

Edit: Except the bad block info.

flo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hungary
Bootmii dumps keys first , then nand . If you abort nand dumping you will have keys.bin on your SD
Apps like Modmii or Syscheck display boot2 information
Bootmii dumps the nand , and in the process finds bad blocks . An app which finds bad blocks should just verify them , not write to SD .
Boot1 info , there's not app that does that, afaik

An all-in-one app to get all these info makes perfect sense .
Pune , all hope goes to you ! My donation is prepared

buddy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really nice app, I must say.

Not only did this "clean the crap" out of my nand, it actually fixed a problem that I've had for literally years and thought was an HBC issue. I could never leave standby enabled for WiiConnect24, as every time I turned off the wii, I never got the TV signal back and always stayed at a black screen. Now after using your app to create a new nand, everything works great. I have a fresh Wii, TV comes back when I shut down with standby enabled, and I can use the stupid weather and news channels again! Thanks!

SSJwiggy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have two questions:

PPSainity said:
  • Wii Shop Account: Will all the data required by the Wii Shop Channel be retained/restored allowing for the re-downloading of purchased items?
  • SD Channels Saves: Will all items moved to SD (legit, non-truch signed) be able to be moved back to Wii Memory?
-[]D

The first one regards the quoted post. I'm not asking for added functionality, but rather if someone can confirm these two issues. I have a LOT of Shop Channel purchases, and they're all copied to my SD card. I'd be devastated if none of them worked anymore

My second question is "will all my game save data still exist?" I've got a lot of save data from things I don't want to lose like SSBB, Mario Kart, etc.

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this program completely deletes the entire contents of the nand.bin. then it installs some IOS. thats basically it. there is no selective deletion.

the nintendo channel may let you redownload your previously bought titles, but i havent tried it out.

SSJwiggy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
this program completely deletes the entire contents of the nand.bin. then it installs some IOS. thats basically it. there is no selective deletion.

the nintendo channel may let you redownload your previously bought titles, but i havent tried it out.
I've got all my games stored on my SD card. I just didn't know if the nand was where the Wii's ID was stored that keeps track of everything that's been purchased, thus affecting playability.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SSJwiggy said:
I've got all my games stored on my SD card. I just didn't know if the nand was where the Wii's ID was stored that keeps track of everything that's been purchased, thus affecting playability.
You won't be able to play any games that are currently stored on your SD cards, they will have to be re-downloaded via the shop channel after restoring the new NAND (you won't have to pay for them again).

SSJwiggy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
SSJwiggy said:
You won't be able to play any games that are currently stored on your SD cards, they will have to be re-downloaded via the shop channel after restoring the new NAND (you won't have to pay for them again).
Ok, that's good to know. The only other problem I have is that I want all my game saves from my Wii. I tried extracting them from the nand but it kept coming up with an error.

zoomx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What happens to the file UID.SYS?

In this file there are registered all games and channel that where launched on the wii.

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bootmii doesnt overwrite boot1 or 2. if you use a hardware programmer to install you nand, it will overwrite bootmii@boot2. if you use bootmii to write the nand to your wii, it will leave those first 8 blocks untouched.

obviously bootmii IOS will be wiped out in either case.

SG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guys, I'm confused. I've followed the instructions and now have got to number 7. No errors, but where do I go from here? I've got a backup copy of my original nand safe and sound - but I've wanted a 'clean install' since various homebrew apps have never fully worked regardless of the HBC version I'm using - and the HBC itself is installed fine,no problems.

Is the nand that I used as the input now a fresh Wii operating system? How do I verify? What's the 'local cache' for? Do I have to use a 'save' function before transferring to SD card and then using Bootmii to install it if that's even the right way to do it? Will the new OS be ready-hacked, with HBC there?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I believe any modifications done to the NAND are done instantly, so as soon as you make a change in the program, the NAND.bin you are editing it changed likewise. So you don't need to save anything, just copy the NAND.bin you were editing.

"local cache" is for stuff downloaded from NUS, for future use in ohneswanzenegger (IOS etc.) so they don't need to be re-downloaded if you want to install them in another NAND.

You can verify it with this tool: http://gbatemp.net/t279742-nandbincheck

Once installed (using BootMii/boot2 is the easiest way, but a hardware NAND reprogrammer could also be used), the Wii will be completely unhacked, save for BootMii/boot2. To install HBC, the easiest way is using "bootmini.elf" from the HackMii Installer package, loading it via BootMii/boot2. If it does not work loading normally, backup the file "ppcboot.elf" from the "BootMii" folder on your SD card, then replace it with "bootmini.elf", renamed as "ppcboot.elf", and it should auto load when you boot your Wii. Afterwards, replace the original "ppcboot.elf"

SG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thank you so much.
smile.gif

Just to double check: I verify it, then install with the BootMii that's already on there. And use BootMii to install HBC with 'bootmini.elf' - but where do I put it? Is it also possible there is a HBC wad I can install on the nand?

PS: what is boot2 in reference to? Is it a BootMii alternative? It's all very interesting learning about this stuff!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto