Homebrew ohneswanzenegger (Wii Entry -- PC Software)

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
boot2 is where BootMii is installed to. It can also be installed as an IOS, but to safely restore a NAND dump, it is strongly advised that you only do it if BootMii is installed as boot2 (but this is not possible on newer Wiis, hence the IOS option exists at all).

If BootMii appears when you turn on your Wii, its installed to boot2. If it doesn't, and you haven't changed the autoboot settings, it is installed to IOS and you shouldn't attempt to restore a NAND dump with it.

As for running bootmini.elf: I believe you can just place it anywhere on the SD card, and you can browse to it with the browser in BootMii. For simplicity it may be best to put it in the root of the card.

If it doesn't work this way (commonly there is a green or blue screen instead of it running correctly), rename it to "ppcboot.elf" and put it in the "BootMii" folder on your SD card, and it will autorun when you turn on your Wii. (Make sure to back up the old "ppcboot.elf" beforehand and restore it afterwards).

Any WAD of HBC is completely illegal. You could use ShowMiiWads to extract one from your original NAND dump and install it into the new NAND with ohneswanzenegger, but then you would most likely get a scam warning every time you load it. (I believe reinstalling it with HackMii Installer booted via HBC would fix it, but this way seems a lot more complicated to me).

SG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Holy shit this is getting complicated. Things to explain:

-My Wii is quite old. I installed the HBC some while back.

-My Wii used to have a boot screen from some kind of preloader when I first installed a hacked update 4.0u menu to my Wii but I can't remember which preloader that it was - it was very basic with just a black background and options listed in white words. EDIT: Pretty sure it was Priiloader now.

-Some time later I installed HackMii at the same time as upgrading my HBC (as my Wii was then offline). The old boot screen disappeared but I also don't get BootMii on start-up, only if I press HOME on the HBC.

In summary, it would seem my Wii has the boot2 option but my BootMii isn't installed to it (or do I have to press something on the console/remote when starting up to make it appear?), and what I need to do get it installed to boot2 before I attempt installing a new nand. Can I ask, how do I do this?

Also, I take it there's a way of extracting all of my wads from my old nand using ShowMeWads and putting them onto the new nand before installation so it has everything that I had before, rather than loading them all on separately after installing it?

God I just want my fucking apps to work properly!

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not trying to be mean, but if you dont know the current state of your wii, and you dont know how to check it and see what all is on it, then this program isnt meant for you. it is very likely that whatever issue you are trying to fix can be done very quickly and much less invasively.

this is not designed for somebody that needs somebody to explain every little step. the fact that you ned to ask for instructions on how to install bootmii is a huge flag that you shouldnt be messing with this. not knowing what you are doing or exactly why you are doing it with something like this will likely result in you making your situation worse.

SG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I never claimed to know exactly what I'm doing - I know how to install BootMii (because it already is installed), I don't know how to install it as boot2, or if I can. I don't know anyone who can do it for me so I'm trying to do it myself so that I can use homebrew properly.

The only reason I came to this thread is because of my original problem: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=288...p;#entry3590301

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
boot1b means you can indeed install BootMii/boot2, and you can do so with HackMii Installer, which is probably advisable. However, the fact you can't work this out for yourself is, as giantpune suggests, a big sign you shouldn't mess with this tool. Are you sure you aren't just using buggy apps?

SG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
UPDATE: OK guys I have done hours of research and I've got my headaround the OS and boot2 options. BootMii IS now installed on boot2!

I'm installing the new nand now, we'll see how it goes. Hopefully my HBC on a fresh install won't be so buggy!
In hindsight it actually all seems very simple, I just had to do some reading around.

Please check back, I may need help. :/ Hopefully I've got it all figured out though!

SG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I've done it - new menu, working fine. And the cheats STILL. DON'T. FUCKING. WORK.

Unless it's 1 at a time, in Code Manager. Aaaaaarrrrrghghgh!

It's obviously a hardware issue, glad I can reinstall my old nand. But this begs the question: can it ever be resolved? I very much doubt that it's an SD issue, and it's not a menu issue as it was the same under previous versions. This is seriously enough to make me buy a Wii. Which I'd have to import from the US. Again...

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Try using a GCT made with a different tool. For example, I believe geckocodes.org can generate a GCT if you go to the page for any specific game.

EDIT: Or use this: http://geckocodes.org/index.php?gct=

And then use that GCT with Gecko OS or Riivolution or something.

Anyway, this is now unrelated to the topic, so please use your other thread for future troubleshooting.

Buhntz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a very nice app. I first installed a virgin NAND generated with ohneschwanzenegger in SNEEK to see if it actually works. When it did, I proceeded installing the same nand.bin to my real NAND using BootMi without issues. This was using the "Full update" option by typing 4.2U into the upper left line and clicking on "Get It!".

There is a small bug though: I want to do an offline install using hand-selected .wad files for the System Menu, IOSs, BC, MIOS, etc. - basically the 4.3U update but with the 4.2U system menu, previous IOS70, IOS36 v1042, Photo Channel v1, none of the stubbed IOS and none of the Korean IOS (41, 43, 45, 46, 48). So I open a nand.bin from a BootMi backup, click "Format", click "Import Wads...", navigate to the folder that contains the wads, select them all and import. Everything goes well, but I can't save the original Settings.txt back into the finished NAND. Clicking on "Settings.txt...", the status window shows "There is no setting.txt found in C:/ohneswanzenegger_r70_win32/release/nand.bin". Of course the file did not survive the format, but ohneschwanzenegger should still have the values in memory just as with the online update option.

I already tried clicking on "Settings.txt..." prior to formatting the NAND and see the correct values are all there, but ohneschwanzenegger somehow forgets/erases them after importing the wads. Is there any workaround?

Update: Well, the workaround is to let ohneschwanzenegger download (at least) the System Menu (title 0000000100000002) which is the only way to make it "remember" the setting.txt file. The IOSs and system channels can then be installed offline via wads. Another quirk is that the very first download in the process must be the System Menu - starting with an IOS or channel makes ohneschwanzenegger r74 crash on Windows. No biggie, just not intuitive. Anyway, thanks again for this great program.

Update 2: Not sure whether this is a bug or a feature, but ohneschwanzenegger defaults to a different serial number in the "Setting.txt" dialog box than what was supplied in the source file. Steps to reproduce:
[*]Open untouched nand.bin from a Bootmi dump[*]Click "Setting.txt..." and write down serial number (should match the sticker on your Wii)[*]Click "Format"[*]Install update, e. g. by typing "4.2u" in the upper left and click "Get it!"[*]Wait for downloads to complete and the "Setting.txt" dialog box to open => all fields have been preserved, but the serial number is completely different than before
@giantpune: Is this how you wanted this to work? I know the tool is only for advanced users, but I can't think of many reasons why it should default to a different serial. Again, no biggie to manually change it back to what it was before, just not intuitive. Am I missing something?

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i fixed bug where the setting.txt could not be written without downloading something from NUS. the fix has been in the svn for a while.

as far as "remembering" the setting.txt, it does nothing like that. it doesnt care what files are on the original nand FS, and it doesnt save or reuse any of the files from inside the FS. everything between the boot1&2 blocks and the superclusters is wiped out.

when you click the option to edit the setting.txt, it will try to read whatever one is already on the wii and let you edit it. if there is not one there, it will use some hardcoded default values in the prompt, which includes a serial number.

Buhntz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot for your quick response. I'll download the most recent code from the svn, install python qt and try to compile a new Windows binary. Should hopefully not be too difficult.

I am still slightly confused about your approach of reverting to hard coded default values for the setting.txt file. I guess 99% of users use ohneschwanzenegger to "re-virginize" their Wii, and the vast majority of them (just like me) will not notice that the "suggested" serial number at the end of the download process is not what their Wii shipped with and what is printed on the sticker (this may be different for users outside of the US as they will likely spot the incorrect default region). You know the inner workings much better than I do, but wouldn't there be problems down the road if a bunch of different Wii's register with Nintendo's WiiConnect24 servers using the same serial? Is an account for the Shopping Channel entirely independent of a Wii's serial number?

It may be a good idea to put a disclaimer in your first post advising users that the setting.txt content will not be preserved after formatting but that they have to manually copy/paste the original values at the end of the process. I swear the current behavior is not intuitive (heck, I loaded the new nand.bin into my Wii without noticing that the serial number is not the one that was in nand.bin before I hit the format button). Why not make it really obvious and default to instead of "LU632011873"? Just a thought. Anyway, thanks again for your awesome program.

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i chose not to save any files from the old nand for a reason. there is a reason that the user is formatting the thing in the first place. perhaps there was something wrong with the setting.txt in the first place? so it treats all files as untrustworthy garbage and removes them all.

while i made it pretty easy to use, i hoped that the person using the program would know enough to read the fields in the dialog before blindly clicking a button and adding it to their nand. i would assume that if i didnt put any default serial number, there would still be people that blindly clicked the button and added the setting.txt with no serial number at all. at least this way, there is something there.
smile.gif

and about the other default values, they are determined by region. if it sees that you downloaded a full update for PAL region (eg 4.3e), it will use different default values than if you downloaded a full updat efor USA (eg 4.3u).

and about what all the serial number is used for, i honestly dont know. i think the wc42 and shopping channel stuff is tied to your wii by MAC address and not by a number sitting there in a file that can be easily edited.

Buhntz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Touche. You caught me as one of these careless persons who blindly installs stuff to their Wii
blush.gif

I went ahead and installed the QT framework and minigw, download your latest source from the svn and was surprised it compiled on the first attempt. Hate to be a pest, but there is still a bug in the way the program handles the setting.txt file with offline (wad) installs:

• Open an untouched BootMii dump
  • Click "Format"
  • Install a wad for the System Menu (ripped straight out of the update partition from a game DVD)
  • Click "Flush"
  • Verify the new NAND with nandExtract and confirm ohneschwanzenegger installed the data folder under title/00000001/00000002 (along with the content and the ticket)
  • Click "Setting.txt..."
  • Leave your defaults and click "OK" => The status window shows "Error writing setting.txt" and the file is not written to the FS
  • The same procedure works flawless if I install the System Menu from the Nintendo server by entering "0000000100000002" and "481" in the top line and click "Get It!"

Can you please take a look at your source and advise where the problem might be? Thanks again for your help.

Buhntz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
r81 sure did the trick. I also changed the default serial in settingtxtdialog.ui prior to compiling and promise to never bug you about this again
wink.gif

Thanks again - it's time to I wish I could cast a vote for the Homebrew Bounty...

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
first post updated with a binary of r85. this fixes a bug where the EUR updates from 2.2 to 3.3 ended up having weather and news channels from USA region.

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you make a completely new unmodified NAND with this? By that, I mean can you virginize a Wii with this? I would honestly like to start over from scratch like a brand new Wii, no WiiShop purchase history, no saves, everything... I like a fresh start in full every once in a while, that's why I'm asking.

Love it though!
wink.gif

EDIT: Or maybe in this program's case, make a fresh NAND out of an existing NAND as a base.

Jehuty25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After creating a new nand based on my old one, I keep getting the 110213 error when I try to test the connection. Is there a way to fix this? I know it's not the hardware because I did a restore of my old nand and the internet works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: