Hacking Official "Will Xenoblade Chronicles 3D work on Gateway or Sky?" Thread

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
it will most likely be using the n3DS only encryption....and seeing as when nintendo fixed the encryption in 9.6 they left a few keyslots unchanged means it will almost certainly be using one of those (hence them not changing them and writing off a ton of carts that had already been produced using the known keys)

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone should attempt to rebuild it with a different icon or a modified exheader. I bet the New 3DS check is something in the icon. But it could be more complicated then that. Either way it probably won't boot on a classic 3DS for obvious reasons. :P

You're presuming of course, that it's actually making use of the upgraded hardware. If it's an artificial lockout, and the standard 3ds hardware is powerful enough to run it, someone will eventually get it up and running...

EDIT:Yes, I realize that'd be a shady move on Nintendo's part to do that, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time something of that nature has happened.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
n3DS uses new encryption for Arm9 but not games. I don't think the games for n3DS use different encryption and they still use the same 7.x as previous games have. We'll know for sure once someone gets it to boot on a n3DS on 9.5 via Gateway. :P

The New 3DS check probably manifests in a ton of ways. The main ones are through encryption and APT. The New 3DS uses a bunch of new keyslots exclusive to it, including at least 2 new NCCH keys. Given the game went gold a while ago, it'll use the 0x18 key and still be 9.3+ compatible (unless nintendo pulls some almost impossible shit). That's also no problem since arm9loader back to 8.1 seeds the relevant keyslot. Saves are also signed and encrypted by 2 new N3DS slots.

Another thing is APT using CheckNew3DS, but that's easily patchable. I dunno why you'd want to, though. It's pretty much guaranteed it won't work on old 3DS.

Sonicx64

任豚好騙!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well its usually sold off to twitch streamers and "lets play" people first as they pay for early rom access (or so i have heard)......probably be like MM dumped very early and not released publicly for a while

At least there is no way to direct stream a New 3DS as of now, so maybe streamers won't care about Xenoblade 3DS...

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least there is no way to direct stream a New 3DS as of now, so maybe streamers won't care about Xenoblade 3DS...

Not yet, anyway. Katsukity is about to release the capture card very soon. Plus, people can still live stream a game without a capture card. Just get a camera and have it stay in place in front of the New3DS. It'll be just like the days when there weren't any 3DS capture cards.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
The New 3DS check probably manifests in a ton of ways. The main ones are through encryption and APT. The New 3DS uses a bunch of new keyslots exclusive to it, including at least 2 new NCCH keys. Given the game went gold a while ago, it'll use the 0x18 key and still be 9.3+ compatible (unless nintendo pulls some almost impossible shit). That's also no problem since arm9loader back to 8.1 seeds the relevant keyslot. Saves are also signed and encrypted by 2 new N3DS slots.

Another thing is APT using CheckNew3DS, but that's easily patchable. I dunno why you'd want to, though. It's pretty much guaranteed it won't work on old 3DS.

Ahh I see. At least the n3DS enhanced stuff won't use the new keys because those will be setup to work on old 3DS. I don't expect the next Pokemon game (if it's still in "Gen 6") to be n3DS exclusive. Black2/White2 came out with the DSi was around and I don't recall that being a DSi exclusive. I don't think they'll start now. Gen 7 Pokemon game you can bet your ass it will be n3DS exclusive. :P

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh I see. At least the n3DS enhanced stuff won't use the new keys because those will be setup to work on old 3DS. I don't expect the next Pokemon game (if it's still in "Gen 6") to be n3DS exclusive. Black2/White2 came out with the DSi was around and I don't recall that being a DSi exclusive. I don't think they'll start now. Gen 7 Pokemon game you can bet your ass it will be n3DS exclusive. :P

They can do New3DS-only partitions since each partition is its own NCCH, though. That could cause problems in the future. We'll have to see though! MH4U does N3DS stuff with an extra folder in its main romfs and some file swapping, but it's likely they were developing on an SDK version that didn't support N3DS-exclusive partitions yet.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
The cartridge architecture isn't much different for n3DS. Gateway will probably run it if you have the right keyslots initialized by sysnand. The currently running OS will handle the rest. The IO commands and other hardware related stuff of the cardslot isn't much different. (else Gateway would have released a new card) For this game it probably doesn't use any keys unique to 9.6 yet, so on a n3DS on just about any Gateway compatible firmware will run this one. This might change when other games come out in the future though.

As for the CIA version, pretty much all of that is handled by the OS and not Gateway, so of coarse as long as the sig checks are patched out like Gateway normally does when emunand is booted up, n3DS exclusives from eShop will work. (until stuff using 9.6 exclusive keys comes out, then it's the same ol' story as the 3DS before the 7.x keys were leaked) Unless something comes out that DevMenu can't handle. Good luck finding a n3DS version of DevMenu because one has not been leaked yet.

upfromtheskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It might not be exclusive, but I'd be willing to bet it will have a good amount of exclusive content on N3DS, maybe an additional region.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Arrived a few minutes ago:
xenojqs2e.jpg
Holy shit awesome! :D

Not asking you to do anything evil, but could you at least dump this and run it through CTR.exe and relay us it's findings? pweeease (cutekitten.gif)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: j