Hacking Official "Will Xenoblade Chronicles 3D work on Gateway or Sky?" Thread

caffolote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My best guess is that it will work. I think back to DSi exclusives. Those didn't work because when you run the flashcarts, you run them as DS-mode software. Thus, any software run from them are also run as DS-mode. Gateway runs as firmware and Sky just emulates the whole cart. Thus, whenever software is run it should have N3DS specific features. A good example is Amiibo support with Sm4sh (actually I haven't tested this yet). In theory it should work barring any additional AP specific to N3DS-exclusive carts.

I guess we'll find out next week and see

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
If Xenoblade Chronicles doesn't work with either flashcart it's easily worth buying anyway. You can easily spend over 100 hours playing the game. Plus (imo) it was the best JRPG released last gen. The game just oozes quality.

Reactions: artlan

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My best guess is that it will work. I think back to DSi exclusives. Those didn't work because when you run the flashcarts, you run them as DS-mode software. Thus, any software run from them are also run as DS-mode. Gateway runs as firmware and Sky just emulates the whole cart. Thus, whenever software is run it should have N3DS specific features. A good example is Amiibo support with Sm4sh (actually I haven't tested this yet). In theory it should work barring any additional AP specific to N3DS-exclusive carts.
I agree. Since they run directly from the home menu, there should be no problem.
It would be different if it was like DS flashcarts, where you load games from a launcher that's on the cart.
It could be possible that n3DS-exclusive games run in a different FIRM, much like AGB_FIRM and TWL, which would probably break those games completely as the 3DS would try to soft reset into that FIRM which would kick you out of GW mode, but as it's very similar hardware and most of the system API is the same, there's no reason they'd have to boot into a different FIRM and it would actually be more work for Ninty to code it to work that way.
I expect it's something like Smash 3DS, which runs in a different mode from other 3DS games, but as it's still a 3DS game, it doesn't require different FIRM to do so. It just tells the system what mode it needs to run in.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Xenoblade Chronicles doesn't work with either flashcart it's easily worth buying anyway. You can easily spend over 100 hours playing the game. Plus (imo) it was the best JRPG released last gen. The game just oozes quality.

Assuming you can run the actual cart without updating your system to a higher firmware. Does Classic mode work on a New system? Will it work with a New exclusive game? These questions and more, waiting to be answered.

sblast3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This isn't about that. Eventually there will be eShop-exclusive N3DS games which will become lost in ~5 years once the eShop is discontinued. Flash Carts/CFW allow these games to be archived in history and not end up like Sega Channel.

Reactions: Margen67

Tilde88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if Gateway will release 9.4 sysNAND support soon, hopefully in the next few weeks

Lol... No.
It will be years, if ever. Lol "next few weeks". The exploits are extremely intricate. Even if they worked 24/7 to find one, it doesn't mean there would even be one to be found. And in the slight possibility that there would be one to be found, assuming 24/7 unhindered non-stop work, it would be years. And that is assuming that the ONE exploit they MAYBE find actually gives full access to the system (50 times less likely). Multiple exploits would be needed for everything.
So... Yea don't hold your breath on that :-p

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol... No.
It will be years, if ever. Lol "next few weeks". The exploits are extremely intricate. Even if they worked 24/7 to find one, it doesn't mean there would even be one to be found. And in the slight possibility that there would be one to be found, assuming 24/7 unhindered non-stop work, it would be years. And that is assuming that the ONE exploit they MAYBE find actually gives full access to the system (50 times less likely). Multiple exploits would be needed for everything.
So... Yea don't hold your breath on that :-p

And we all know how much gateway enjoys their long vacations

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night