Hardware Nyko to show new peripheral at e3

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Oh come on guys, enough, no need for pointless arguing, last couple of pages were just your bitching yes it can no it can't be done, it's OK, you did your thing now carry on to some other sugestions/guesses/ideas! ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country

But it's not based on sound...

Kinda humoring Toni Plutonij - I still think it'll be some kind of combined CPP and battery expansion. Smaller CPP, same battery expansion (or better?) as the power pak+

Yes I know, I actually read into what I post about. I used this as an example of how to make a rumble add on for anything. Sound waves are only one way. This is small enough to made into a simple add on very cheaply.

I see this less of a flame war and more about some people not wanting to listen even though the evidence of possibility is right in front of their faces.

They can't deny it is possible just because they don't get it.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Kinda humoring Toni Plutonij - I still think it'll be some kind of combined CPP and battery expansion. Smaller CPP, same battery expansion (or better?) as the power pak+

Yes I know, I actually read into what I post about. I used this as an example of how to make a rumble add on for anything. Sound waves are only one way. This is small enough to made into a simple add on very cheaply.

I see this less of a flame war and more about some people not wanting to listen even though the evidence of possibility is right in front of their faces.

I'm trying to get this away from a flame war and move it to trying to understand what you're talking about, or if you even do know what you're talking about.

That article presented absolutely nothing about rumble based on sound. Xbox controller - no gameplay resulted. A pre-generated video was played which had reaction at certain points. Only by looking at their website for the mophie pulse did anything mention reaction to sound, which does key-in to all apps. But my question still stands - how can it accurately generate feedback for games without being a vibrating pile of shit when it's not supposed to be. Answer me that if you've been researching it so much.

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Third parties can make a rumble pack, it’s not a problem with supporting existing games they would need to address, it would be their problem to gain support from third party game creators for new games. It’s a bit like the old days of home micros where game developers supported various different hardware add-ons that were not created by the original machine manufacturers.

If I were making a rumble pack then I would make a thin base that clipped into the cartridge port and the rumble pack would have a pass-through connector in it for the game cart. The base would also contain an extended battery to justify its size. Supported games could access the rumble pack in the base, all other games would ignore it, 100% compatibility with games not using the rumble could be obtained by a switch to deactivate the rumble pack but leave the pass-through and the extended battery enabled.

It’s not impossible, it’s just very improbable.

Reactions: 1 person

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country

I'm trying to get this away from a flame war and move it to trying to understand what you're talking about, or if you even do know what you're talking about.

That article presented absolutely nothing about rumble based on sound. Xbox controller - no gameplay resulted. A pre-generated video was played which had reaction at certain points. Only by looking at their website for the mophie pulse did anything mention reaction to sound, which does key-in to all apps. But my question still stands - how can it accurately generate feedback for games without being a vibrating pile of shit when it's not supposed to be. Answer me that if you've been researching it so much.

The rumble tech we all have right now is "a vibrating pile of shit when it's not supposed to be"
The new tech (if you read the page again) uses more subtle, accurate, and DIFFERENT types of pulses, buzzes and rumbles to recreate many feelings/situations. I reitterate their are MANY DIFFERENT types of new rumble technology. All are massive improvements on what we have now. Most can be implamented through sounds, others work by good ol programming.
fact is:
This is the first rumble tech since time began that actually wants to be better than a pile of shit rumble overdose of an explosion.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'll chime in. They won't EVER EVER make rumble based on sound. It's outright confusionary and useless. And what if people want to play with headphones? No rumble?

Games need to have specific support written for it. You can make it work for a phone, which doesn't produce any sound other than notifications or a ringtone, but not for a freaking game, with so much going on.

That tech is also still experimental, it might not even ever happen. Does anyone remember the news for the "USB device able to reproduce perfumes and stuff" for your PC? NEVER RELEASED.

Reactions: 1 person

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
I'll chime in. They won't EVER EVER make rumble based on sound. It's outright confusionary and useless. And what if people want to play with headphones? No rumble?

Games need to have specific support written for it. You can make it work for a phone, which doesn't produce any sound other than notifications or a ringtone, but not for a freaking game, with so much going on.

That tech is also still experimental, it might not even ever happen. Does anyone remember the news for the "USB device able to reproduce perfumes and stuff" for your PC? NEVER RELEASED.

You are completely wrong, but since you are a mod, whatever.
erm if you want to use headphones, plug them in. if the device for rumble uses the jack port, all you need is a simple passthrough.
So you believe it will work for phones but not game consoles?!
You believe they will never release a rumble pack based on sound? ...ever!? nieve.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

erm if you want to use headphones, plug them in. if the device for rumble uses the jack port, all you need is a simple passthrough.
You believe they will never release a rumble pack based on sound? ...ever!? nieve.
A pass-thru? HOW is that convenient? It would make the 3DS bulky, with a long adapter risking of breaking the entire 3DS's jack port. Awesome!

Phones don't have music and SFX on all the time. It would work for notifications and stuff, but I'm sure that videogames would just make it rumble all the times.

But eh, what do I know. I am wrong, since you must be the inventor of this technology to be so sure of that... and not just a reader of some article posted on the internets. Right?

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I think it will be a CPP, fix to the screen scratching problem and perhaps extra battery (or room for a bigger battery).
If so, the 3DS would be magically changed into a perfect design and everyone will throw their wallets at Nyko and they will make a handheld which wipes the whole market away by storm.
Or it could be a CPP.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
But the experiments are successful. Unlike the USB smell-o-vision that never actually worked beyond a basic proof-of-concept stage that could reproduce a grand total of three scents (vanilla, orange, and vanilla-and-orange). The finished product wouldn't have been able to do much more and would have been little more than an overpriced USB-powered air freshener. That rumble thing, on the other hand, does work.

Will that be the new 3DS peripheral? No.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

raulpica, I respect your opinion, but nowadays sound on consoles is strictly divided into channels. Music streams on different channels than SFX use to play and the 3DS can multitask. All it really takes for this accessory to work is simply streaming rumble information through the IR port and a background process, courtesy of Nyko and the eShop. It could be integrated into a CPP-like shell and bam, Rumble Pad Plus. Is it doable? Of course it is. Is it plausible? Hell no, and I doubt that this is what Nyko has in-store.

Adding to the background process thing, even if that couldn't be done due to Nintendo not wanting anyone to intrude in their OS, there's this thing called patches that companies can release for their hands, and if this accessory would be popular and would recieve a license, I believe they would do so.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

raulpica, I respect your opinion, but nowadays sound on consoles is strictly divided into channels. Music streams on different channels than SFX use to play and the 3DS can multitask. All it really takes for this accessory to work is simply streaming rumble information through the IR port and a background process, courtesy of Nyko and the eShop. It could be integrated into a CPP-like shell and bam, Rumble Pad Plus. Is it doable? Of course it is. Is it plausible? Hell no, and I doubt that this is what Nyko has in-store.

Adding to the background process thing, even if that couldn't be done due to Nintendo not wanting anyone to intrude in their OS, there's this thing called patches that companies can release for their hands, and if this accessory would be popular and would recieve a license, I believe they would do so.
I know perfectly what you're saying, but we're talking of an external peripheral, and you know better than me that you have a raw unified audio stream from the external of the system.

Nintendo won't ever give Nyko a background process. I'm sure of that. Alas, we've seen only one patch for 3DS, released by Nintendo itself. They might not even give 3rd parties the option to patch their games.

But the experiments are successful. Unlike the USB smell-o-vision that never actually worked beyond a basic proof-of-concept stage that could reproduce a grand total of three scents (vanilla, orange, and vanilla-and-orange). The finished product wouldn't have been able to do much more and would have been little more than an overpriced USB-powered air freshener. That rumble thing, on the other hand, does work.

Will that be the new 3DS peripheral? No.
Sure, it works. Convincing someone in commercializing it? That's an entirely different matter.

I agree fully with veho and foxi4.
The chances THIS is what Nyko will release are very slim, but it is real, it is possible, and that should be the end of that.
The chances are NULL. The tech you posted is in prototype stage, it couldn't ever be announced by Nyko in time for E3.

Deal with it.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country

A pass-thru? HOW is that convenient? It would make the 3DS bulky, with a long adapter risking of breaking the entire 3DS's jack port. Awesome!

Phones don't have music and SFX on all the time. It would work for notifications and stuff, but I'm sure that videogames would just make it rumble all the times.

But eh, what do I know. I am wrong, since you must be the inventor of this technology to be so sure of that... and not just a reader of some article posted on the internets. Right?
Well there is the power rumbe FX for the GBA...
It's a sound activated rumble pak and it's bulky as hell.

power-rumble-fx-game-boy-advance.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol