XP
Country
Canada
guinness said:
SoulSnatcher said:
FIX94 said:
SoulSnatcher said:
I know that.
I want to virginize my Wii so I can start from scratch and hack it again using ModMii. I just want to know if it's safe to virginize my Wii by updating?
You could do it, it is save, but it's not needed.

I know it's not needed
but I want to virginize it!

Using ModMii WILL start it from scratch. But if you choose to ignore what people tell you, then go ahead (and why bother asking anyway?)
@SoulSnatcher, you want to virginize your Wii in order to re-mod it again. You seem confused on some basics of the Wii.

Understand that the Wii updates IOS, apps and other titles by overwriting the previous versions. Each title has a specific directory, which can be considered a parking lot; can only hold one car at a time, and each vehicle is replaced by the next. Nothing* of the previous title remains. Book keeping is done by Nintendo to make sure conflicts do not arise, such as making sure the IOS in use by the current System Menu is not stubbed. When you update via Nintendo, you are at the mercy of what they want to do to your Wii, that is why it is not recommended. When you update via homebrew, you are risking making mistakes like stubbing the System Menu's IOS, but by using vetted homebrew like ModMii you are protected from making such mistakes.

Taking the overwriting nature of updates, lets apply this to your need of virginizing your Wii before re-modding. You want to take all your changed IOS/cIOS/system apps and replace them with previous versions in order to replace them again with current/modded versions. That is akin to changing Y -> X -> Z when you can just change Y -> Z, skipping the absolutely useless middle step. So listen to what everybody is telling you, and forget all this re-virginizing foolishness. Just re-mod your Wii as is using ModMii.

-[]D

*Generalization for sake of simplicity. I'm not going into oil stains here...

Hellsingrunner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, time for another dumb question. I've gotten homebrew installed and am wanting to extract an Animal Crossing save game file. I'm trying to accomplish this by using the SaveGame Manager GX by Dj_Skual. However I can't seem to get it to run. The program says I need IOS249, I haven't the faintest idea what this is or how to use it. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Thank you!
smile.gif

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hellsingrunner said:
Ok, time for another dumb question. I've gotten homebrew installed and am wanting to extract an Animal Crossing save game file. I'm trying to accomplish this by using the SaveGame Manager GX by Dj_Skual. However I can't seem to get it to run. The program says I need IOS249, I haven't the faintest idea what this is or how to use it. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Thank you!
smile.gif
IOS249 is Waninkoko's cIOS (customized IOS). cIOS allows us to do more with our Wii, like extract savegames that Nintendo flags as copy-protected. You can install cIOS249 using a the official installer: cIOSX rev21 Installer, or by using ModMii.

If you decide to use the official installer, you need to make sure that you already have a cIOS with the trucha bug and NAND access for the installer to use. If you do not have one, install and use IOS236 using this installer found > here

D

Deleted_171835

PPSainity said:
@SoulSnatcher, you want to virginize your Wii in order to re-mod it again. You seem confused on some basics of the Wii.

Understand that the Wii updates IOS, apps and other titles by overwriting the previous versions. Each title has a specific directory, which can be considered a parking lot; can only hold one car at a time, and each vehicle is replaced by the next. Nothing* of the previous title remains. Book keeping is done by Nintendo to make sure conflicts do not arise, such as making sure the IOS in use by the current System Menu is not stubbed. When you update via Nintendo, you are at the mercy of what they want to do to your Wii, that is why it is not recommended. When you update via homebrew, you are risking making mistakes like stubbing the System Menu's IOS, but by using vetted homebrew like ModMii you are protected from making such mistakes.

Taking the overwriting nature of updates, lets apply this to your need of virginizing your Wii before re-modding. You want to take all your changed IOS/cIOS/system apps and replace them with previous versions in order to replace them again with current/modded versions. That is akin to changing Y -> X -> Z when you can just change Y -> Z, skipping the absolutely useless middle step. So listen to what everybody is telling you, and forget all this re-virginizing foolishness. Just re-mod your Wii as is using ModMii.

-[]D

*Generalization for sake of simplicity. I'm not going into oil stains here...
Oh, I didn't know.
I thought using ModMii would just install the apps on top of the existing apps. Thanks for explaining!

EvanUnisil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Quick question -

I modded my Wii yonks ago with a D2Pro. I've also got Homebrew channel and Neogamma installed as well as running off bootmii. I burn my games onto DVDs and don't use a HDD.

What is the best way for me to play old generation games? Through the Virtual Console WADs or through an emulator? What do I have to do to play them, how do I install them?

Thanks!

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EvanUnisil said:
Quick question -

I modded my Wii yonks ago with a D2Pro. I've also got Homebrew channel and Neogamma installed as well as running off bootmii. I burn my games onto DVDs and don't use a HDD.

What is the best way for me to play old generation games? Through the Virtual Console WADs or through an emulator? What do I have to do to play them, how do I install them?

Thanks!
Define "old generation games" please?!?!?!

EvanUnisil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought the answer to that would be obvious when I said "through the virtual console WADs or through an emulator".

Seriously, I need to elaborate?

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
EvanUnisil said:
I thought the answer to that would be obvious when I said "through the virtual console WADs or through an emulator".

Seriously, I need to elaborate?
LOL, aint gotta elaborate for me mate. Obviously you mean 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit, 64 bit eras of consoles.
Emulation is your best bet, virtual console is ok, for some n64 games you may get on better as the wii64 emulator whilst being good isn't perfect.

But defintaely use emulators, first thing if nothing else you can save any state at any time. Also controls are more customisable, doesn't take up space on your wii.

And get with the times man, your d2pro is fine to keep in there, but get a hard drive and join the usb revolution. Discs are sooooooooo 2 years ago
wink.gif

EvanUnisil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks man, appreciate your help. Any emulators you can recommend over others or is it one of those "this is the only emulator available"?

I bought like 200 blank DVDs when they were on sale like three years ago specifically for my Wii. Maybe once they've all been used up I'll give the USB HDD a try... but that's a while yet.

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
EvanUnisil said:
Thanks man, appreciate your help. Any emulators you can recommend over others or is it one of those "this is the only emulator available"?

I bought like 200 blank DVDs when they were on sale like three years ago specifically for my Wii. Maybe once they've all been used up I'll give the USB HDD a try... but that's a while yet.
LOL, but what a waste. And they could get scratched and what not. Fair enough mate, its yours at the end of the day, do what works for you, I used to be fine with discs but since using a usb loader I would NEVER go back.

As for emulators.
Heres a small list of the best ones of each: -
NES - FCE Ultra GX
SNES - Snes9x GX
N64 - Wii64
Gameboy/Colour/Advance - VBA GX
Sega Genesis/Megadrive - GenPlus GX
Sega Master System - SMSPlus GX
Sega Saturn - Yabause Wii
Sony Playstation - WiiSX

There are plenty of others for most other systems, atari jaguar, pc engine, turbografx, neo geo, commodore 64, even dos, I just aint tried any of those ones so don't know their names

armedtoreact

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just wondering if anyone can help. I have just hacked my new black 4.3e using the bathaxx and followed the instructions on the guide on here and I have got everything up and running and installed config usb loader but I am having some problems when playing games......they often crash in a middle of a game or they goto a black screen so I was wondering if anyone can help me fix this problem?

The usb drive I am using was from my previous wii so I know that has no problems with loading games

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
Regardless of what you have said. Crashing mid game is usually the drive.
The main job of the usb loaders is done in booting the game. Once its in, it should stay in, unless its having problems with your drive which is what it sounds like. Check you don't have a sleep mode on your drive or anything

Dimesyo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I just went to play COD Black Ops for the first time on my initially virgin Modmii softmodded 4.3U Wii. It booted fine from the USB Loader but when I went to play multiplayer on the Nintendo WFC it said I needed to download a COD Black Ops update to play online. Is that safe to do? Will that ruin my hack or possibly brick my wii? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
Dimesyo said:
Hi. I just went to play COD Black Ops for the first time on my initially virgin Modmii softmodded 4.3U Wii. It booted fine from the USB Loader but when I went to play multiplayer on the Nintendo WFC it said I needed to download a COD Black Ops update to play online. Is that safe to do? Will that ruin my hack or possibly brick my wii? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Its fine to update your CODBO.

JelDeRebel

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
When I launch the homebrew channel, I get "read error 116 occurrred. retrying…" when it's trying to connect.

any solution? I installed the HBC with the Twilight hack back in the days. trying to rehack it using Modmii

hazzarduk1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i had a problem, with my wii booting while my black ops headset was plugged in(here is my thread concerning this: http://gbatemp.net/t278901-wii-wont-start-with-headset), the solution i was given was to update to priiloader 0.6, is this safe to do? i was only asking because it appears modmii uses a custom version of priiloder 0.4 which is unable to update, so i was wondering if there is a reason i should not update to the current priiloader?

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hazzarduk1 said:
i had a problem, with my wii booting while my black ops headset was plugged in(here is my thread concerning this: http://gbatemp.net/t278901-wii-wont-start-with-headset), the solution i was given was to update to priiloader 0.6, is this safe to do? i was only asking because it appears modmii uses a custom version of priiloder 0.4 which is unable to update, so i was wondering if there is a reason i should not update to the current priiloader?
No, although there is a chance of bicking, updating to priiloader 0.6 should be safe. You could also try 0.7, although it is still in beta

NDSno1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys. I have a Korea Wii with 4.1U. I want to install Nintendo Channel but when I download from NUS, it can't pack into .wad, and DOP-Mii doesn't have Nintendo Channel option. How can I install the channel? (without Wii shop channel)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    but that's a long shot
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
    +1
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage shiz.
    +1
    [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, should i change my pfp to one of these or keep it the same?
    iu

iu

(i guess i could change it to one of my other pfps too, but i just want to see what you guys think first)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Up to you.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    smug sonic time lmao
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Chronic The HempHog
  • DilllyDabDharma @ DilllyDabDharma:
    I'm new! Hi!
    DilllyDabDharma @ DilllyDabDharma: I'm new! Hi!