Nokia 3310 is getting a refresh

145FBBCF-613E-4322-BD52-48ADB2252C01-27654-0000166C632F043D_tmp.jpg

Remember Nokia? The de facto phone company before iPhone took over? After it was aquired and sold by Microsoft, it's looking to do serious business again. Reports surfaced online that HMD Global, the sole manufactorer with exclusive rights to the Nokia brand, is planning to announce later this month at the Mobile World Congress a couple of new Nokia phones (Android based Nokia 3, 5 and 6), among them the iconic Nokia 3310!

Yes, that's right. The Nokia 3310 will get a refresh to beat up the competition. Apple and Google beware! Well, not really, the Nokia 3310 is meant as a homage to the good old days. Nonetheless I believe it will be a desirable collectors item and stock will surely be limited. And in case you want to phone with it, you actually CAN do that! Just don't expect a Google Chrome port.

:arrow: Source

Note: Well this isn't about gaming, hacking or anything related to it, but I believe it deserves its own topic. Feel free to voice your opinion in this thread.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I don't get it.

Who is this for? Why is this happening?
People who don't want a smartphone? Old people who prefer being able to use a phone as a phone without requiring "complicated" tech? People who work rough jobs and still require a way to communicate with others?

I know dozens of people who still use old Nokia's as their main cell phone, they're practically indestructible and have batteries that last forever and a half. A majority of the service techs for my dad's appliance business use these because they don't break when they're in your pocket while moving/lifting heavy appliances. I must've replaced 10+ smartphone screens for them because they always manage to crack one way or another until they switched back to these.

A refresh will be useful mainly because they'll be able to support more modern phone towers/signals (I assume, anyways).

Reactions: duwen
S

Saiyan Lusitano

People who don't want a smartphone? Old people who prefer being able to use a phone as a phone without requiring "complicated" tech? People who work rough jobs and still require a way to communicate with others?

I know dozens of people who still use old Nokia's as their main cell phone, they're practically indestructible and have batteries that last forever and a half. A majority of the service techs for my dad's appliance business use these because they don't break when they're in your pocket while moving/lifting heavy appliances. I must've replaced 10+ smartphone screens for them because they always manage to crack one way or another until they switched back to these.

A refresh will be useful mainly because they'll be able to support more modern phone towers/signals (I assume, anyways).
Those people you refer to still use old-style phones anyway.

Deleted member 408979

Gbatemp amphibian
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
FUCK YES.

The only phone ive ever had is a nokia. Its not even 3310,and ive succesfully used it to beat up people! :)

i lost the charger,sadly :c

but hey,i wanna try out 3310!

S

Saiyan Lusitano

not really , sometimes it becomes a necessity to use an old school phone ..
That's what I said. Old people like my grandma uses an old-style phone. This will make no difference, the market that Nokia once had is gone to Android/Apple.

munchy_cool

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I said. Old people like my grandma uses an old-style phone. This will make no difference, the market that Nokia once had is gone to Android/Apple.
it aint about making a difference to the market share, the market share of dumb phones is negligible right now ..its about the nostalgia

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
make fun all you ant guys, idgaf,
but id love to have a touchscreen that dosent get nuked when dropped from 3 feet. let alone stand up to a hydrolic press.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't get it.

Who is this for? Why is this happening?
if youve never had one of these, think of them as an equivilant to gcn or the original GB-
practically unsmashable
and combined with a 900mAhNiMH battery that can last up to 260 hours.

plus, maybe people who cant afford smartphones would get it. is rumored to be sold around $60-$70

Last edited by Sketchy1,
D

Deleted User

Who's here betting these ones won't nearly be as indestructible as the old days

Maybe it's just me, we'll just have to see

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Cool move, Nokia.

But seriously, who are they expecting to buy it? Those were nearly indestructible back in the day. I'm sure we still got one at my parents' home that just needs a recharge to be good to go. So why bother getting a revamp as long as the original works fine?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative