Homebrew Nintendo now has a 3DS bug bounty page open

Arck

Trophies
XP
Country
hum why people (mostly on the 1st page) think nothing will happens with that ?
It's not like if they have all an super secret exploit to release...

And if Nintendo want to gain something, they should get a ride of that Luma dev/github lol

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Nintendo won't do that (sadly) as they are a "family friendly" company and most families who by their kids nintendo consoles keep them offline only. You don't know how many 3dses I have seen still on firmwares like 9.2 without hacks

I got a cheap secondhand 3ds recently (i was looking to invest in something) and it was in firmware 2.1.0-4U! XD
Even though i already had two a9lhaxxed 3ds's.

I was like, well piece 'o cake. :X

Reactions: xtheman

Clouded Sun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MONEY!?

ill snitch on all fucking A9LH lovers... and then ill shank the lot of gbatemp members for tree fidy..

Nintendo just send a pm. ;)
Gr8 b8 m8, just learn to joke better. Oh, and actually get some experience with how arm9 and arm11 kernel exploits work.

This wouldn't be such an epidemic if the idiots that got greedy with SuMo didn't go online early. Nintendo is so pissed now, and have been trying to fight us since the 3DS' meme-worthy "system stability updates" that no normal user really cares about

But they won't win, because the people that know aren't gonna snitch and the people who do don't know.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Gr8 b8 m8, just learn to joke better. Oh, and actually get some experience with how arm9 and arm11 kernel exploits work.

This wouldn't be such an epidemic if the idiots that got greedy with SuMo didn't go online early. Nintendo is so pissed now, and have been trying to fight us since the 3DS' meme-worthy "system stability updates" that no normal user really cares about

But they won't win, because the people that know aren't gonna snitch and the people who do don't know.

you have no experience with arm9 and arm11 kernel exploits work. Gr8 b8 m8, just learn to lie better.

KomasterXX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
"You have no obligation to provide Nintendo with the abovementioned security and vulnerability information. However, you agree that by submitting such information to Nintendo, even if the information is not eligible for a reward, you grant Nintendo a worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, transferable, sublicenseable, fully-paid and royalty-free license under any and all intellectual property rights that you own or control to use, copy, modify, create derivative works based upon and otherwise exploit such information for any purpose".

Something feels off regarding the legality of the issue. Am I the only one that thinks so?

Imacaredformy2ds

Smartass
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
"You have no obligation to provide Nintendo with the abovementioned security and vulnerability information. However, you agree that by submitting such information to Nintendo, even if the information is not eligible for a reward, you grant Nintendo a worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, transferable, sublicenseable, fully-paid and royalty-free license under any and all intellectual property rights that you own or control to use, copy, modify, create derivative works based upon and otherwise exploit such information for any purpose".

Something feels off regarding the legality of the issue. Am I the only one that thinks so?
I don't know shit about legality, but that seem s off just from the wording

KomasterXX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
I don't know shit about legality, but that seem s off just from the wording

I can see a lot of dishonesty on Nintendo's part here:

Legal

1 - "You agree that you will not violate any law, or disrupt or compromise any data that is not your own in connection with reporting vulnerability information to Nintendo".

> Fair enough.

2 - Nintendo reserves the right to modify the terms of this program at any time.

> "This Program" - Very loose terming here, what exactly are they referring to? The Reward? The Software/Coding provided by Bounty Hunters? Everything Perhaps??

3 - "You have no obligation to provide Nintendo with the above mentioned security and vulnerability information. However, you agree that by submitting such information to Nintendo, even if the information is not eligible for a reward, you grant Nintendo a worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, transferable, sublicenseable, fully-paid and royalty-free license under any and all intellectual property rights that you own or control to use, copy, modify, create derivative works based upon and otherwise exploit such information for any purpose".

> So, from my interpretation, it seems that they are saying that even if you provide them with information/help regarding exploits or anything along the lines of system vulnerabilities - you still do not have to do so in the first place. BUT, if you do, whatever you provide for us will become completely owned by us, and we might not even reward you as a result (lololol).

Very suspicious indeed. $20,000 is NOTHING compared to the risk involved here, and the relative profit Nintendo will make if this truly fosters their security.

Reactions: Aletron9000

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States

There's nothing illegal about that. This statement is just a contingency. Now, if they had not made this statement after promising a reward and then not deliver, then yeah, they'd probably get a letter from an attorney. They're also saying that you relinquish all rights to your work, which is also legal since they stated that, and you agree to that when you submit something. It's like what DeviantArt does with user submitted content.

Last edited by Joom,
Reactions: Deleted User

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because ninty needs third party people to help their systems. Can't develop it themselves

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

BTW, if this goes thru, R.I.P all you a9lh users

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Although expensive Florida meth can rot the brightest of minds