Homebrew Nintendo now has a 3DS bug bounty page open

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
  • Game application modification
WTF?! GOD DAMMIT Nintendo! MODS ARE PROHIBITED NOW?!?!?!

BTW, if you want to make money of exploits, follow these steps:
  1. Make an exploit and release it.
  2. Open a donation box.
  3. Nintendo gets mad :P
  4. Profit.

Last edited by AboodXD,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BTW, if this goes thru, R.I.P all you a9lh users
Pretty sure A9LH can't be fixed without a Boot ROM update, and since the Boot ROM is mask ROM embedded in the CPU, that would only affect new systems. It probably isn't worth the expense to spin up a new revision at this point in the 3DS lifespan.

Aletron9000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure A9LH can't be fixed without a Boot ROM update, and since the Boot ROM is mask ROM embedded in the CPU, that would only affect new systems. It probably isn't worth the expense to spin up a new revision at this point in the 3DS lifespan.

while the exploit cannot be patched, they could find ways to remove it from the system or block the system from loading if it detects a9lh installed.

Wrathalos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Affecting new systems would assist in stopping nintendo's new Switch from getting homebrewed the same way as I'm sure is their intention moving forward. This is pretty likely the case of not actually giving a damn about the 3DS, but the new console.

EDIT: Even so, there's even a clause that Nintendo doesn't have to actually pay you for the fix, they can just deem it not worthy of reward and you're out of luck.

Last edited by Wrathalos,

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure the whole point is to stop hackers. Which is why they're hiring hackers. Just one question tho:
Why wait till now to do something about it? I Mean, its been out for like, 6 years. And what's up with the wiiu? seems kinda odd honestly

Last edited by Sketchy1,
D

Deleted User

WTF?! GOD DAMMIT Nintendo! MODS ARE PROHIBITED NOW?!?!?!
OMG Modification of a game are prohidited say WHAAAAAAT????

This isn't fallout or skyrim, ofc they want to keep there games from being modded
BTW, if you want to make money of exploits, follow these steps:
  1. Make an exploit and release it.
  2. Open a donation box.
  3. Nintendo gets mad :P
  4. Profit.
Haha pirates donating, good joke.

StackMasher

Trophies
XP
Country
1) someone shows nintendo a vulnerability
2) they patch it out in a new version
3) we investigate what they patched out
4) older versions get a new exploit :D

Reactions: pandavova

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I mean, someone obviously gonna be a dick, go to all those exploit releases by smea, report them (and dsi downgrade) and BAM, your 3ds access gets lumped

But they can't stop hardmods b/c the 3ds doesn't contain the nessicerry hardware to do so, unlike the Xbox 360.

Last edited by Sketchy1,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Well I mean, someone obviously gonna be a dick, go to all those exploit releases by smea, report them (and dsi downgrade) and BAM, your 3ds access gets lumped

But they can't stop hardmods b/c the 3ds doesn't contain the nessicerry hardware to do so, unlike the Xbox 360.
Nintendo only wants 0days. They won't accept publicly released exploits. Also, isn't it obvious what Nintendo is doing here? 33c3 is just around the corner, and there's some big stuff coming. If I were a betting man, I'd wager that they're hoping one of the speakers happens to be greedy.

Last edited by Joom,

Yuuyuun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nintendo only wants 0days. They won't accept publicly released exploits. Also, isn't it obvious what Nintendo is doing here? 33c3 is just around the corner, and there's some big stuff coming. If I were a betting man, I'd wager that they're hoping one of the speakers happens to be greedy.
Just thought the same thing, like whatever they have, Nintendo doesn't want it released. But we'll see.

Last edited by Yuuyuun,

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I see so many people talking about how they are completely sure that nothing will come out of this. Like 100%, even proceeding with subtle (or not so subtle) insults at times hahahs.

However I wonder how many of them would have the balls to update to 11.3 or even 12.0 after a long enough time has passed. XD

Reactions: Deleted User

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I see so many people talking about how they are completely sure that nothing will come out of this. Like 100%, even proceeding with subtle (or not so subtle) insults at times hahahs.

However I wonder how many of them would have the balls to update to 11.3 or even 12.0 after a long enough time has passed. XD

Nintendo's problem is that the community that finds exploits holds a great deal of animosity towards them. So other than the possibility of a reward, there really is no incentive. Other bug bounties ran by Google, Apple, Facebook, etc. allow people to help protect others from actual compromise while getting a bonus. Nintendo here is just being the pouty brat on the playground because somebody took their toy. Point is, I don't really see anything coming out of this either, but we'll see.

Last edited by Joom,
Reactions: Raylight

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo's problem is that the community that finds exploits holds a great deal of animosity towards them. So other than the possibility of a reward, there really is no incentive. Other bug bounties ran by Google, Apple, Facebook, etc. allow people to help protect others from actual compromise while getting a bonus. Nintendo here is just being the pouty brat on the playground because somebody took their toy.
You think that, but there are plenty of reasons why hackers would go for such an offer.
Just look at GBATemp itself, most people using A9lh being all high and mighty, thinking that they are all safe from any hacks. Iiterally thinking that they have no risks and are entitled to pirate and do what they want.
The real hackers did all the stuff for us. But some are being conceited about it. Just saying. Note that hackers also have animosity towards the tempers, and rightfully so.
I can definitely see some doing it not for the money, but for the hilarity and chaos that will cause in here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel