Nintendo is shutting down the Wii U and 3DS eShop in March 2023

41NGofA8vOL._SX425_.jpg

It's the end of an era, as both the Nintendo Wii U and 3DS will be moving on to that great end-of-life cloud in the sky. Nintendo has put out a warning that they'll be winding down support both the eShop on both platforms. Starting May 23 of this year, credit cards will no longer be able to be used to add funds to the 3DS or Wii U eShop, with support for physical eShop cards going away on August 29th. Digital download codes will still work and will be redeemable until the final plug is pulled in March 2023.

As of late March 2023, it will no longer be possible to make purchases in Nintendo eShop for the Wii U system and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. It will also no longer be possible to download free content, including game demos. Furthermore, as this date draws closer, related services will cease to function:

• As of May 23, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a credit card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.
  • As of August 29, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a Nintendo eShop Card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. However, it will still be possible to redeem download codes until late March 2023.
Users who link their Nintendo Network ID wallet (used with Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems) with their Nintendo Account wallet (used with the Nintendo Switch family of systems) can use the shared balance to purchase content on any of these systems until late March 2023. After that, the balance can only be used to purchase content for the Nintendo Switch family of systems.

In an FAQ released alongside the announcement, Nintendo clarified that this will not affect online play, and users will still be able to redownload games they have previously purchased.

If someone visits Nintendo eShop and wants to download something on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family systems after late March 2023, what will they able to do?

• On both platforms, users will still be able to:
    • Redownload content they own.
    • Download existing software updates.
  • On both platforms, users will not be able to:
    • Purchase any content:
      • On Nintendo 3DS, this includes paid content, plays and passes in software such as StreetPass Mii Plaza, Theme Shop, Nintendo Badge Arcade and Pokémon Bank.
      • On Wii U, this includes passes in software such as Wii Sports Club.
    • Download demos.
    • Download free-to-start software.
    • Redeem a download code.
    • Add funds to their Nintendo eShop balance.
  • On Nintendo 3DS family systems, users will still be able to:
    • Download a small number of free themes from Theme Shop.

Nintendo released the 3DS in March 2011, with multiple revisions to the handheld released throughout its lifetime. The Wii U came out in November 2012, and had a short life, being officially discontinued after the launch of the more successful Switch in 2017. The Virtual Console service was well known on either system, where classic games were sold individually, ranging from decades of Nintendo history. Nintendo chose to mention that they currently have no plans to continue the Virtual Console line, and will be focusing support on the Nintendo Switch Online classic library.

:arrow: Source

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's something that hasn't been preserved: 3DS Anime Channel content.

Like, the English dubs of Shin-chan and Doraemon (by Luk Internacional), but aside that it's been all preserved more or less

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm sad about the closing of the eShop, but honestly what I'm worried about is this:
pokemon-home-start-on-3ds-001.jpg

Since Pokémon Bank is the only official and legal way to bring Pokémon from Gen 1 and Gen 2 (for the Virtual Console games on 3DS), Gen 3 (GBA, Game Cube and ORAS), Gen 4, Gen 5 (DS and Wii ), Gen 6 and Gen 7 ( 3DS ) for current games like Sword/Shield, Brillant Diamond/Shinning Pearl and Legends, what will happen?

There are many Pokémon that you can only get in the old games and there are many people like me who keep their Pokémon with each new generation (I myself have my Johto, Hoenn, Unova and Alola team with me to this day)

Are they really going to kill the only legal and official way to transfer old Pokemon to current games?

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sad about the closing of the eShop, but honestly what I'm worried about is this:
pokemon-home-start-on-3ds-001.jpg

Since Pokémon Bank is the only official and legal way to bring Pokémon from Gen 1 and Gen 2 (for the Virtual Console games on 3DS), Gen 3 (GBA, Game Cube and ORAS), Gen 4, Gen 5 (DS and Wii ), Gen 6 and Gen 7 ( 3DS ) for current games like Sword/Shield, Brillant Diamond/Shinning Pearl and Legends, what will happen?

There are many Pokémon that you can only get in the old games and there are many people like me who keep their Pokémon with each new generation (I myself have my Johto, Hoenn, Unova and Alola team with me to this day)

Are they really going to kill the only legal and official way to transfer old Pokemon to current games?
download it now or never. they said online play would still work so technically this should function?

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
People like Gary Bowser?
You mean the people that profit and steal the efforts of community members that do this for free?

EDIT: Love how you edited your post in response to this
I edited the post before your response. That's why it doesn't say it's edited. If you do it quick enough it won't say edited.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also- no one has preserved the eshop music in a lossless 24/96 flac format, which is important since most of those tunes rock
you can listen to them on YT but they won't be as clear
The Wii U System Sounds have been preserved in lossless, if interested. That's the music I'd find nostalgic since I had a Wii U for a couple of years till the Switch was released.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's another thing, we're going to be stuck with the Switch's barebones UI and vibes. All these years and still not as useful as the 3DS' home menu.
Yes, exactly. No folders either and I guess there will never ever be.
I want to store my few Arcade Archives in a folder on Switch. But no. I will not ever buy any more Arcade Archives until folders are finally there...

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, exactly. No folders either and I guess there will never ever be.
I want to store my few Arcade Archives in a folder on Switch. But no. I will not ever buy any more Arcade Archives until folders are finally there...
The lack of Themes or how Icons are handled (or lack of handling) is also super laaame.

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't like how there's also no music. like none to be found
tbh i wouldn't even be so sentimental about the wii u and 3ds shops going away, if the switch had more soul
If they're gonna bring back GameCube/Wii era ideas like sports, at least bring back THE shop theme.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's funny, legitimately when i first saw the eshop i thought "hey maybe it's just a beta and it'll be improved later on...." nope it's still the exact same shop 5 years later

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
i remember i used to just browse the eshop, looking at demos and trailers while listening to that music.

I still remember the first few games I ever bought on the eshop: ninja smasher(cute little platformer, barely costs anything,i reccomend it), azure striker gunvolt 2 and legend of zelda(i remember being really really confused by it, but refusing to look up guides)

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
which they clearly compiled ages ago. in the past year I bought a wii u and have spent a fair amount of hours in wind waker yet it's nowhere to be seen
View attachment 298314
1644979044462.png

ive had my current new 2ds for almost 2 years now
(i had a 3ds xl but that was lost and i dont have the nnid anymore)

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States
Hackers are very important for moments like this. Back up and Preservation of these games.
Hackers are going to go all out to make sure they rip the cleanest ROMs possible
also- no one has preserved the eshop music in a lossless 24/96 flac format, which is important since most of those tunes rock
you can listen to them on YT but they won't be as clear
Time to rip some music.

-----------

The closing is expected. The Wii Shop was 12 years and two months old when it closed. The 3DS will be 12 when the shop closes its doors.
Kinda sad to see it go, but gg 3DS. Great gameplay experience. Definitely a handheld I will be keeping forever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm doing fine, and you?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, happy birthday