Nintendo eShop closing down in Russia, limited to only re-download pre-owned titles

Untitled.png

Russian customers that have been using the Nintendo eShop for their gaming needs won't be able to make any new purchases or transactions using the service, beginning on May 31st, 2023.

Nintendo of Europe started sending emails to publishers, to which some websites like Game Developer caught upon. In said email, Nintendo mentions an overall halt in sales for Russia through their eShop service. This isn't the first time Nintendo does something like this on Russian territory, as last year Nintendo stopped product shipments to the country. With the current cease of sales in the eShop, Russian customers will only be able to redownload already owned titles from the eShop, but they won't be able to make any new purchases. Nintendo will also delete all kinds of payment information from Russian customers that have a Nintendo Account (like credit card and PayPal information) for privacy reasons.

Excerpt from Nintendo of Europe's email to publishers said:
As a result of the economic outlook, Nintendo of Europe has decided to wind down operations of its Russian subsidiary. As part of our efforts to honor preceding commitments to our customers in the Russian market, the Russian version of Nintendo eShop will be set to offer limited service.

As of May 31, 2023, and for the foreseeable future, Russian customers with an existing Nintendo Account will be able to redownload digital content that they have previously purchased. It will not be possible to make any new purchases or use download codes within Nintendo eShop in Russia.

While Nintendo cites the "economic outlook" as the reason for the closure of the eShop, it's almost certain it is tied or a consequence to the current on going conflict in which Russia is involved. It could also be related to the fact that Russia made piracy legal in the country since March, 2022, after several gaming (and other) companies started making sanctions effective for the region.

:arrow: Source

Valery0p

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I mean they already know how to pirate everything so...

Still, while their government fully deserves this isolation, it's sad to hear when thinking about those Russian developers.

I guess there will be no new Tetris-like hit anytime soon...

Reactions: Guacaholey

szlovak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's not true.
so how many is then?
Post automatically merged:

Me when I lie out of my ass
You say I'm lying, but I'm not, so say something that is true in your opinion
Post automatically merged:

Oh I'm perfectly fine with blaming individuals for their own support of the invasion/Putin, just not generalizing or stereotyping.
Absurdity of it is that that's true that russians are like this. The same like probably most USA citizens had nothing against invading Iraq

Last edited by szlovak,
Reactions: tmp64

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...