Nintendo officially announces the end date for 3DS and Wii U online services

wiiu3ds.png

At the end of last year, Nintendo revealed that 2024 would mark the end of online play for both the Nintendo 3DS and the Nintendo Wii U. Now, the clock is ticking, as Nintendo has specified an exact end date to the online services for both systems. You have until April 8th, at 4pm PDT to get around to playing any old favorites online, before they're gone for good. Leaderboards, online play, and all other services that use the internet on either the 3DS and Wii U will no longer function after that deadline.

There is a single exception to the shutdown, with Pokemon Bank and Pokemon Transporter still staying up and usable, as Nintendo deems both software to be still relevant for fans importing their old Pokemon into new games.

For those looking to get some online play in after it's all over, both the Citra 3DS and Cemu Wii U emulators have their own form of custom servers that allow for online play.

kuro0628neko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretendo. Animal Crossing. That's all I need to be happy with my games, man. That and street pass. Let me upload my save file to the Switch 2 and I will gladly pay your stupid fucking $70/year or whatever to use the internet I already pay for in order to play the $70 games I paid for.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

At the end of last year, Nintendo revealed that 2024 would mark the end of online play for both the Nintendo 3DS and the Nintendo Wii U. Now, the clock is ticking, as Nintendo has specified an exact end date to the online services for both systems. You have until April 8th, at 4pm PDT to get around to playing any old favorites online, before they're gone for good. Leaderboards, online play, and all other services that use the internet on either the 3DS and Wii U will no longer function after that deadline.

There is a single exception to the shutdown, with Pokemon Bank and Pokemon Transporter still staying up and usable, as Nintendo deems both software to be still relevant for fans importing their old Pokemon into new games.

For those looking to get some online play in after it's all over, both the Citra 3DS and Cemu Wii U emulators have their own form of custom servers that allow for online play.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1749963072998166670
And they have confirmed that Pokemon Bank will stay active thankfully.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Didn't notice NoA. Assumed Japan or Europe.

Thx.
why being a human being doing human stuff with human measurment scale, when you can be an american

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina

Will any online services still be available even after online services generally end?​

It will still be possible to use online services for the following software but that may also end at some point in the future.

• Pokémon Bank
  • Poké Transporter

That's good to know.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I measure my height in melons. B-)
Canadians are not better tbh, we use both imperial and metric system.
Outside temperature : 30°
Pool temperature : 80°

Distance between my house and groceries store : 2km
My height : 5' 11"

My weight : 190lbs
Daily consumption of shroom : 5g

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo is surely aware of people using CFW to install Pokemon Bank and Pokemon Transporter. It makes me wonder how widespread it is, exactly, and if they even care at all.

I still don't get why they can't maintain online services for other games if they're going to keep Pokemon Bank active. But Nintendo does plenty of strange things.

Anyway, I was rushing to try to finish Kid Icarus: Uprising, but it turns out a lot of the multiplayer achievements require local play anyway. Also I am rather terrible at the game and even a lot of the single-player achievements are very, very badly implemented.

I was looking into playing a little more Tri Force Heroes, but the Discord is kind of dead. I think I've done pretty much everything I wanted to in AC New Leaf.

And I've been toying with Badge Arcade on my spare unit just for kicks, even though it's already totally nerfed. 122 badges so far!

BeniBel

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nintendo is surely aware of people using CFW to install Pokemon Bank and Pokemon Transporter. It makes me wonder how widespread it is, exactly, and if they even care at all.

I still don't get why they can't maintain online services for other games if they're going to keep Pokemon Bank active. But Nintendo does plenty of strange things.

Anyway, I was rushing to try to finish Kid Icarus: Uprising, but it turns out a lot of the multiplayer achievements require local play anyway. Also I am rather terrible at the game and even a lot of the single-player achievements are very, very badly implemented.

I was looking into playing a little more Tri Force Heroes, but the Discord is kind of dead. I think I've done pretty much everything I wanted to in AC New Leaf.

And I've been toying with Badge Arcade on my spare unit just for kicks, even though it's already totally nerfed. 122 badges so far!

Because running servers cost money, and at some point there just aren't enough players online anymore to justify the cost.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Because running servers cost money, and at some point there just aren't enough players online anymore to justify the cost.
And if they were taking down the servers entirely, that would be understandable. But if they're still leaving servers up for Pokemon Bank, how many extra pennies could it possibly cost to allow the dwindling numbers of players to keep playing other games?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto