Nintendo to shut down online play for all 3DS and Wii U games

sdaadsdas.png

It's the end of an era. Or perhaps the second end to an era. Following on the heels of Nintendo's decision to shut down the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U eShops and delisting all digital games for both platforms, is the announcement that online play for the two systems will also be discontinued. In April 2024, all online functionalities for all 3DS and Wii U titles will no longer work, including SpotPass. The shutdown of online servers for 3DS and Wii U games will happen just about 10 years to the day that Nintendo took down online play for the Nintendo Wii and DS.

In a FAQ regarding the announcement, Nintendo stated that support for Pokemon Bank will continue for now, though the service, "may also end at some point in the future".

In early April 2024, online play and other functionality that uses online communication will end for Nintendo 3DS* and Wii U software. This also includes online co-operative play, internet rankings, and data distribution.

You can find more information about badges for decorating the Nintendo 3DS HOME Menu using Nintendo Badge Arcade here.

We will announce a specific end date and time at a later date.

Please note that if an event occurs that would make it difficult to continue online services for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U software, we may have to discontinue services earlier than planned.

We sincerely thank players for using the online services of Nintendo 3DS and Wii U software over a long period of time and apologize for any inconvenience.

* This includes software exclusive to New Nintendo 3DS.

:arrow: Source

ertre

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Typical Nintendo L.
Why do people defend Nintendo so much when they show at each and every opportunity they get that they give zero shits about the fans?

Reactions: Maximumbeans

Aristeia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Had to happen eventually.

I feel very bad for the WiiU as a console, in some ways it showed that Nintendo was learning how to make proper network functionalities for their consoles at long last. It definitely had more soul than the Switch at least.

I'm thankful for the fan efforts that will undoubtedly bring these two beloved consoles back online in time, I feel like it would be in better hands anyway.

Welshgamer101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Time to organise some online game sessions for both the 3DS and WiiU..
Anyone looking to play ANY game, let me know if you up for a game or two..

Reactions: CoolMe

MochaMods

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
The multiplayer servers going down is totally understandable, but man losing access to items you purchased on the eshop is a real bummer. Sure I can download them now, but in the event of failure you've basically just lost out on what you purchased. The only preventative measure is CFW and dumping. Sure for these systems you could've bought everything physical, but were growing closer to the day where that won't be the case

Reactions: coderNoob

coderNoob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The multiplayer servers going down is totally understandable, but man losing access to items you purchased on the eshop is a real bummer. Sure I can download them now, but in the event of failure you've basically just lost out on what you purchased. The only preventative measure is CFW and dumping. Sure for these systems you could've bought everything physical, but were growing closer to the day where that won't be the case
Meanwhile every first party game sells millions of digital copies. This greed industry as whole sucks nowadays, but I think the fans has a huge part on it, because they can vote with their pocket but they never do it.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
losing access to items you purchased on the eshop is a real bummer
How many posts have been made in this thread already stating that the eShop will still be available for re-downloading previously purchased games?! Even the Wii and DSi eShops still have that functionality.

Valery0p

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Citra has decided they don't want to have online multiplayer. A fork is in the works, more news will be shared today.
Thanks for the reply... this is so dumb; at a moment when there's a limited time to do packet capture and information gathering to preserve more services, they went like desume... like Nintendo ever cared about online stuff for the previous generation.

MochaMods

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
How many posts have been made in this thread already stating that the eShop will still be available for re-downloading previously purchased games?! Even the Wii and DSi eShops still have that functionality.
This is a sorta moot point considering the dsi doesn't support recent internet security protocols. When I was accessing my wii i had to connect it via phone hotspot because it refuses to connect to newer routers. It's a bad president being set when your money is being spent on items that don't technically exist. Sites like GOG that allow you to download offline versions of the game are more pro consumer. I'm not saying digital games are a bad thing, but you're putting a lot of faith into a company like Nintendo who is notoriously anti consumer to maintain your ability to download your purchases.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is a sorta moot point considering the dsi doesn't support recent internet security protocols.
What do you mean? The DS doesn't support WPA for wifi, but DSiware and the DSi eShop operate differently.

When I was accessing my wii i had to connect it via phone hotspot because it refuses to connect to newer routers.
The Wii had plenty of problems trying to connect to various contemporary routers too.

Regardless, it's hardly Nintendo's fault if network hardware marches on.

ELY_M

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's more that I've spent since 2016 trying to preserve as many event Pokemon as possible from the Gen 3 GBA games, even obtaining the official event distribution software for quite a few events.

As someone who has been playing Pokemon since 1999 I just think it would be cool to have one of each event Pokemon in Home, at some point Pokemon is going to lose its 20+ years of backwards compatibility, so it will never be possible to do this again.

As its a game about collecting it will be nice to have my collection accessible in the future if I desire.

Here is a public Gen 3 event save myself and many others have contributed to over the years: Pokemon GEN3 Legit Event Pokemon Save - its possible to distribute your own unique Pokemon also however.

I do not trust Pokemon home. you might not able to transfer every Pokemon to that app.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I do not trust Pokemon home. you might not able to transfer every Pokemon to that app.

Some Pokemon are essentially stuck in Pokemon Home as no one Pokemon game on the Switch supports every Pokemon sadly, which I do think needs to improve given we have huge open world games like Scarlet / Violet which could easily make all 1000+ Pokemon available.

That said I backup my saves before migrating Pokemon, so depending what gen I caught that Pokemon in I still have it in the original game for nostalgia, however they also live on in modern games.

I backed up my original Pokemon saves from 1999 and restored these saves to the VC versions of the games. This allowed me to migrate my near 24 year old Pokemon to Sun / Moon, then on to current current games. I do think it pretty awesome I can still use Pokemon that are probably older than some people on this forum!

I also did this for my friend and posted a little blog about it: Trading 17 Year Old Pokemon to Sun / Moon (Scary to think that was 6 years ago, I remember it like it was yesterday!)

• Wow
Reactions: Blythe93

coderNoob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some Pokemon are essentially stuck in Pokemon Home as no one Pokemon game on the Switch supports every Pokemon sadly, which I do think needs to improve given we have huge open world games like Scarlet / Violet which could easily make all 1000+ Pokemon available.

That said I backup my saves before migrating Pokemon, so depending what gen I caught that Pokemon in I still have it in the original game for nostalgia, however they also live on in modern games.

I backed up my original Pokemon saves from 1999 and restored these saves to the VC versions of the games. This allowed me to migrate my near 24 year old Pokemon to Sun / Moon, then on to current current games. I do think it pretty awesome I can still use Pokemon that are probably older than some people on this forum!

I also did this for my friend and posted a little blog about it: Trading 17 Year Old Pokemon to Sun / Moon (Scary to think that was 6 years ago, I remember it like it was yesterday!)
I feel you. Unfortunately for me my Pokémon games that I had back in GBC / GBA era got lost somehow throughout the years.
Almost a year ago I decided to collect again every main title and it is insane how astronomic expensive the GBA / DS games are nowadays. I bought already every GB, GBC, 3DS, and Switch ones (They were the easiest/cheapest to get it on Facebook and local apps). But for the GBA and DS era I'm still waiting till I find somebody's mom or dad selling cheaper bc they don't know anything about it :rofl2: (That's how I got my Crystal version for very cheap). I'm not gonna pay what people are asking for it, specially DS ones.

I started to play again every game since first GEN on its original console and I am trying to catch them all (at least the ones is possible without any cheat) and then backing up the save to transfer to the 3DS version and send to Pokémon Home.
I decided to go full old-school on this and I am doing manual cable link transfers between same gen versions. I am almost done with the GEN 2 and I feel like a kid again in 99 and earlier 2000. It is incredible how this old games aged so well all things considered. Hope Nintendo keeps the service till I finish. :rofl2:

Reactions: Blythe93

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I feel you. Unfortunately for me my Pokémon games that I had back in GBC / GBA era got lost somehow throughout the years.
Almost a year ago I decided to collect again every main title and it is insane how astronomic expensive the GBA / DS games are nowadays. I bought already every GB, GBC, 3DS, and Switch ones (They were the easiest/cheapest to get it on Facebook and local apps). But for the GBA and DS era I'm still waiting till I find somebody's mom or dad selling cheaper bc they don't know anything about it :rofl2: (That's how I got my Crystal version for very cheap). I'm not gonna pay what people are asking for it, specially DS ones.

I started to play again every game since first GEN on its original console and I am trying to catch them all (at least the ones is possible without any cheat) and then backing up the save to transfer to the 3DS version and send to Pokémon Home.
I decided to go full old-school on this and I am doing manual cable link transfers between same gen versions. I am almost done with the GEN 2 and I feel like a kid again in 99 and earlier 2000. It is incredible how this old games aged so well all things considered. Hope Nintendo keeps the service till I finish. :rofl2:

The prices for used Pokemon games are absolutely crazy now, here you can pay £200 / $250 for boxed copies of Heart Gold / Soul Silver.

I ended up buying the alternate games in the NDS pairs I was missing sometime after the 3DS came out, maybe in 2014 / 2015. Black and White 2, we're something like £5 each factory sealed! I think at the time I got Soul Sliver for around £40, I thought that was a bit expensive, looking back though I certainly made the right decision to buy back then.

The Gen 2 games are by far my favourite. I had a lot of fun playing though them on the 3DS VC re-release. Someone at work was also playing them so we used to mystery gift each lunch time to try get all the rare bedroom decorations from that. I finished a living dex on my original Gold save once it ended up on the 3DS. It's cool to have some Pokemon from when I was a kid that I'd traded my brother and friends at the time for, who no longer play Pokemon.

Hopefully Pokebank / Transporter still work for years to come, have fun with your playthroughs! :D

SeventhSon7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never played Pokemon but wanted to go back and try some... either the prices for legit copies are "collectarded" or it's just bootlegs (which ebay does nothing about). Pokemon is hugely popular and sold millions and millions, why are they treated as rare? Anyway, emulation or flashcarts is the way to go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto