Gaming Nintendo Executive: 'No New Mario Title in 2015'

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
But the levels are different and still fun, who cares if the formula's the same?

The majority of people, obviously. And it goes well beyond just the formula. All those NSMB games have exactly the same controls, for example (haven't played the 2.5D games). Which means that once you've played through one of them, all the other ones are a breeze for at least half of the game.

Perhaps it's best to see how stale the Mario games have become once you play a different one (Rayman legends, for example). That makes it more obvious that it's not the platforming genre itself that is the limiting factor. There are easily other worlds or ideas that could be explored (why are there only a couple "Van Gogh"-style levels in NSMBU, for example?), yet aren't. Since super meat boy, most other platformers have ditched the lives system and the long death sequence in favor of more skilled play. Mario just keeps it up...probably because they have no idea how else to fill the levels but with coins and extra lives. And the music...is there even a single new sound or track in the entire NSMBU game?

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Taleweaver is absolutely correct. Guys and gals, I love Mario games. I've played almost every one out there that Nintendo keeps spitting out. I play them because I like them, but honestly after a single playthrough they just end up on my shelf and I never revisit them. The reason Mario games (and Zelda games) sell exceedingly well is because of the nostalgia and heritage. Nintendo knows how to play that card right, but it's only a matter of time before even the general population realizes that Nintendo hasn't done anything new with Mario in a long, long time.

I mean, there's 4 different New Super Mario Bros. games (DS, Wii, 3DS, Wii U versions), and we'll have Mario Maker that heavily uses assets from these games. How much more can Nintendo keep milking this approach before Mario goes the way of Sonic and fans can't be bothered to even look up if they released a new game yet?

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think Mario maker is the sign they will stop making 2d Mario games... I mean what's the point of making 2d Mario games when the games design become user generated content?

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I think we can all agree that the NSMB games didn't need to be stretched out to four games and a full length DLC. And 3D Land and 3D World were essentially also NSMB games whose difference was that it occupied a 3D space and cost us the high profile 3D Mario games that this generation desperately needed. The point is that, up until NSMB, no Mario game was the same experience as another. Each game (SMB1, SMB2, SMB3, SMW, SM64, SMS, SMG) all built upon series staples while offering a fresh new experience. Gameplay changed from game to game.

Mario 1 introduced the standard gameplay.
Mario 2 completely threw it out the window.
Mario 3 brought a lot of variety to the standard gamepla introduced in Mario 1.
Mario World put the focal point on having a large overworld with multiple routes to take.
Mario 64 revolutionized the gameplay by changing the focal point to collecting and exploration in larger 3D levels.
Mario Sunshine built on Mario 64 but introduced the FLUDD mechanics and a more in-depth story sequence.
Mario Galaxy took the collecting aspect of 64 and Sunshine but changed up the level design to be more direct but with a huge focus on gravity manipulation and added a bit of puzzle solving into the mix.

All NSMB (And 3DL, 3DW) did was take the series staples c. Mario 3 and just generated new levels for them. The only thing Nintendo did was to differentiate them was introduce two new powerups each time. (NSMB = Mega Mushroom + Mini Mushroom, NSMBW = Propeller Shroom + Penguin Suit, NSMB2 = Racoon Leaf + Gold Flower, NSMBU = Super Acorn + Baby Yoshis, SM3DL = Tanooki Leaf, Boomerang Flower, SM3DW = Super Bell + Double Cherry).

Aside from the two new powerups per game, they were all disappointingly similar with 8 (give or take) Worlds with predictable themes. You beat the boss at the end of each world by jumping on their head three times, rinse and repeat until the credits roll. That's why I've found Captain Toad to be the best Mario game this generation. Because it's different.
So if Nintendo needs some time to take a break with Mario, maybe if the series comes back in 2016 at the earliest (making it a three year gap between Mario releases - the largest gap in Mario releases since Sunshine and NSMB.) Nintendo will finally have some new ground to tread.

I'm still maintaining that an open world Mario would work if done correctly.

Edit: Oh, and IIRC, Satoru Iwata has stated in the past that the NSMB series is only going to get one title per console- which implies that if a new Mario game comes before the next console- there's a good chance it'll be different. inb4 3D World 2 though.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
i don't mind mario 2 wouldn't mind more games like that (CT doesn't count)
Considering "Super Mario USA" (as it was called in Japan) was in fact a spin-off that trickled up to be recognized as a mainline Mario game, I don't find it surprising that you wouldn't mind more of that kind. It was after all an altered version of Doki Doki Panic. The true Super Mario Bros. 2 (re-released as Lost Levels) was nothing more than a copypasta of the first game with more levels and higher difficulty.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't expect one in 2015 anyway but hopes for 2016 but this time I really do hope they don't do a Super Mario 3D World title again, they need to go back to the Mario Sunshine/Galaxy games basics with missions in the levels not running to a pole before the timer runs out. I'm sure though we might get some sort of Mario 3D remake like Mario Sunshine HD or something Mario 3D in 2015. I love Mario 3D games, there always good fun and very addictive!

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good, we have too many of those already. Can we have a Metroid now? Please?

Oh oh I got this one. New metroid, with all the metroid items, enemies, weapons, suits an places, but with the mechanics and gameplay of super mario galaxy.

huh HUH you like, you like?

Deleted member 357656

Trophies
XP
Country
France
We need a new F-Zero title, it's been more than 10 years now (10/2004).
Nintendo, why are you making a shitload of Mario games instead of making new IP/original games?

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
i don't mind mario 2 wouldn't mind more games like that (CT doesn't count)

I think you're talking about the Western Mario 2 and that one, *sigh* I never liked it even as a kid because it didn't feel like a real Mario game but then when they released Mario 3 now that's how Mario 2 should've been similarly.

Only years later I became aware of Mario 2 the real edition through the Super Nintendo and so on.

Please no Western Mario 2, Nintendo.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you're talking about the Western Mario 2 and that one, *sigh* I never liked it even as a kid because it didn't feel like a real Mario game but then when they released Mario 3 now that's how Mario 2 should've been similarly.

Only years later I became aware of Mario 2 the real edition through the Super Nintendo and so on.

Please no Western Mario 2, Nintendo.
I never liked it either as I played them around the same time on the snes (a gift I got in 06 or so) and have always felt lost levels was way better as to simply put it feels more like mario. Plus if you would had givens players the choice between the two back then I'm sure they all would of picked LL (2 western did have a great ending for the time tho)

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
speaking of f-zero

looks like no f-zero until the fusion :P
"If we create a new type of controller interface, and we find a controller interface that's particularly suited for F-Zero, then maybe we'll do something with it in the future," Miyamoto said.

Why not use the GC controller like they did in the GameCube fzero?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
they pretty much already have the method to make fzero they did it in mk8 dlc. they just need to do that but 10 times more awesome. we don't want a new fucking control scheme with motion controls, vr or what not. :glare:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COua5q4CByg