Gaming Nintendo Executive: 'No New Mario Title in 2015'

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Super Mario All-Stars 2 with HD remakes of Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy and Galaxy 2 needs to be a thing. Make that the 30th Anniversary's main event, and I'll happily shut up about Mario until the next console comes around. Really, though the Galaxy games don't need to be remade - just ported to HD with some minor cleanups.

Are you saying they shouldn't repackage a ROM of Super Mario All-Stars for SNES like they did with the 25th Anniversary release for the Wii? Literally no other work or optimizations done to the code, just a ROM? You're probably asking for too much... And they didn't even bother using the ROM for Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World. :(

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Are you saying they shouldn't repackage a ROM of Super Mario All-Stars for SNES like they did with the 25th Anniversary release for the Wii? Literally no other work or optimizations done to the code, just a ROM? You're probably asking for too much... And they didn't even bother using the ROM for Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World. :(

In before it's just VC versions of Mario 64 and Sunshine on a disc that's packed in with a reissue of the Galaxy games... on Wii discs. :glare:

But if a "Super Mario 3D All-Stars" actually became a thing and was a real HD Wii U remake of Mario's greatest 3D games. Wow, man. I wouldn't have words.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
But if a "Super Mario 3D All-Stars" actually became a thing and was a real HD Wii U remake of Mario's greatest 3D games. Wow, man. I wouldn't have words.
It'd be great, but Nintendo isn't one to make compilations like that. Or HD remakes really... The closest indication to this sort of thing happening is Wind Waker HD, but that felt more like filler to keep fans from rioting before the new Zelda this year. It didn't really feel much like Nintendo actually starting to do HD remakes as a thing. It's almost an oxymoron at this point to talk about GameCube Virtual Console games if HD remakes of GameCube games start happening.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Please Nintendo, Super Mario Galaxy 3 (or "New Super Mario Galaxy U!")

Nintendo gave up on naming their games with the "U" because even they know how idiotic that sounds and looks for a title. The closest we've got to a game with U was Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (or for 3DS).

Smash games in chronological order:

Super Smash Bros. (64)
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Smash Bros. (3DS, Wii U)

It's confusing that they named the first and fourth games exactly the same as people usually refer to the original Smash as just "Super Smash Bros." and now there's another "Super Smash Bros." next thing you know the fifth will be also called "Super Smash Bros.".

I dunno what's up with the shitty titles that Nintendo comes up with (Yoshi's New Island, anyone?).

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I dunno what's up with the shitty titles that Nintendo comes up with
They're OK, I guess... At least, I'm thankful it's not called:

Nintendo All-Stars Battle Royale :ohnoes:

(Though we were close since the original in Japan was called "Nintendo All Star! Dairantō Smash Brothers", literally "Nintendo All Star! Great Melee Smash Brothers")

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
First level:

sm3dw-goldtrain.jpg

You can tell Nintendo's putting less and less effort and creativity when their Mario levels consist of only grabbing coins and nothing else.

This isn't the Nintendo I grew up with.

Heiwajima.Shizuo.full.1530239.jpg

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Another Mario "spinoff" game (spinoff in quotations because it's a Puzzle And Dragons X Super Mario Bros. Crossover)

SOOO MUCH HYPEEEEEEEE!!! I love both PaD and SMB and I can't wait for this to come to Europe, soooo worth buying, also GungHo where's our Puzzle and Dragons Z??? (Only Japan got it so far and they promised it would come to NA and EU)

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
But the levels are different and still fun, who cares if the formula's the same?

The majority of people, obviously.

Obviously not. If most people cared then they wouldn't buy the games. If people didn't buy the games then Nintendo wouldn't continue to make them.

If you have a forumla that works, why would you risk alienating your core audience by trying to innovate and make it different? That's what spin-offs and sub-franchises are for! When I buy a sequel to a game, I'm wanting more of the same... a few new gimmiks, imporved graphics, and different maps, but I absolutely don't want a completely different game. I imagine if a NSMB game came out where the game mechanics were totally different to the previous ones there'd be a public outrage.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Obviously not. If most people cared then they wouldn't buy the games. If people didn't buy the games then Nintendo wouldn't continue to make them.

If you have a forumla that works, why would you risk alienating your core audience by trying to innovate and make it different? That's what spin-offs and sub-franchises are for! When I buy a sequel to a game, I'm wanting more of the same... a few new gimmiks, imporved graphics, and different maps, but I absolutely don't want a completely different game. I imagine if a NSMB game came out where the game mechanics were totally different to the previous ones there'd be a public outrage.

You said it right there: Sequels. Of course people want a sequel to be an expansion of sorts to the original games but the Mario series isn't a series of sequels. The NSMB games are all sequels to one another, and that's why they're all the same. 3D World is a 3D Land sequel, and that's why it's also the game. Galaxy 2 is a sequel, and that's why it's the same as Galaxy 1.

But that's the problem - There's too many damn sequels.

Super Mario Bros. 2 isn't really a sequel to Super Mario Bros. 1. The real sequel to Super Mario Bros. 1 was Japan's SMB2, aka The Lost Levels - which, obviously is the reason why it was the same as SMB1.
Super Mario 64 isn't a sequel to Super Mario World, despite the fact that it was the next main Mario title in the line.
New Super Mario Bros. DS isn't a sequel to Super Mario Sunshine.
Super Mario Galaxy isn't a sequel to New Super Mario Bros. DS. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is.

The point being, just because it's one franchise, it doesn't mean every game has to be a sequel. The next game in line isn't necessarily a sequel to that game. The first eight Mario titles were all super original with their own defining characteristics. The second eight Mario titles were all sequels to a previous game, with the exception of 3D Land.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
The point being, just because it's one franchise, it doesn't mean every game has to be a sequel. The next game in line isn't necessarily a sequel to that game. The first eight Mario titles were all super original with their own defining characteristics. The second eight Mario titles were all sequels to a previous game, with the exception of 3D Land.

But on the other hand you don't want to over-expand a franchise.

If you want a totally different game, why does it really have to feature Mario in the first place? There are other 2D and 3D platform game options. Why not build a new franchise or use characters from other franchises?

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
This is my rundown of Mario platforming games:

Original Super Mario - Gen 1:
- Mario 1 (NES)
- Mario 2 (NES)
- Mario Maker (Wii U)

Super Mario - Gen 2:
- Mario 3
- Super Mario World (SNES)

Super Mario 64 - Gen 3:
- Mario 64 (N64)

Super Mario Sunshine - Gen 4:
- Mario Sunshine (NGC)

Super Mario Galaxy - Gen 5:
- Mario Galaxy
- Mario Galaxy 2

New Super Mario Bros. - Gen 6:
- New Super Mario Bros. (NDS)
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
- New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U)
- Mario Maker (Wii U)

Super Mario 3D Land - Gen 7:
- Mario 3D Land (3DS)
- Mario 3D World (Wii U)

Reskinned Mario - Gen Garbage:
- Mario 2 (NES)

Just give us a sequel to Mario Sunshine or Mario 64 as these are two games which highly deserve to be brought back to life again unlike NSMB, SM3DLand/World or Mario Galaxy as they've had their time to shine.

Haterbait

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
haterbait.com
XP
Country
United States
Some peoples kinda miss the point here... Mario is simply a generic theme for a Nintendo platforming game. It almost sounds like people would enjoy the games more if Nintendo simply changed the character models to random things every few years. Does it matter if it's a charismatic aardvark collecting beans while attempting to save the forest or a clumsy, yet lovable farmer collecting clams while trying to rescue his horse? It's the game itself. Sure, a story adds to the game, but some nice level design and some challenging, yet optional, gameplay is all I need when it comes to these type of games. Maybe some good music too. It's like baking a cake or something. Say you have a recipe that you really like and you may tweak it a bit occasionally for variety, but if you change too many ingredients, the familiar, popular flavor that people obviously enjoy is gone. Now if you're in the business of selling these cakes, this could prove a bit too risky a venture. Anyhow, I'm hungry for cake now.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Some peoples kinda miss the point here... Mario is simply a generic theme for a Nintendo platforming game. It almost sounds like people would enjoy the games more if Nintendo simply changed the character models to random things every few years. Does it matter if it's a charismatic aardvark collecting beans while attempting to save the forest or a clumsy, yet lovable farmer collecting clams while trying to rescue his horse? It's the game itself. Sure, a story adds to the game, but some nice level design and some challenging, yet optional, gameplay is all I need when it comes to these type of games. Maybe some good music too. It's like baking a cake or something. Say you have a recipe that you really like and you may tweak it a bit occasionally for variety, but if you change too many ingredients, the familiar, popular flavor that people obviously enjoy is gone. Now if you're in the business of selling these cakes, this could prove a bit too risky a venture. Anyhow, I'm hungry for cake now.

The level design doesn't really change all that much and it tends to feel very same-y while it is fun to play it begins to also get stale and repetitive (i.e, Captain Toad which is a Mario 3D World game).

Nintendo can keep on making the same New Super Mario Bros. games and all that but they could also develop an entirely new Mario 3D platformer (which could lead to be a franchise), or make a damn sequel already for Mario 64/Sunshine.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I think we're all missing the point here. Nintendo is obviously working on introducing Old Super Mario Bros., the prequel to the NSMB series. Mario Maker is the bridge to OSMB. The new (old) series will have faithful recreations of the original games with new stages. All in glorious 240p for added nostalgic effect.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
But on the other hand you don't want to over-expand a franchise.

If you want a totally different game, why does it really have to feature Mario in the first place? There are other 2D and 3D platform game options. Why not build a new franchise or use characters from other franchises?

I answer that with another question. Why does Mario have to be the same everytime? Wouldn't it be an inexpensive option to just replay the game you have instead of buying a game with the exact same gameplay/challenge/graphics?

Other franchises do offer different gameplay. But different developers value different aspects of gameplay, and each franchise has it's own defined characteristics and style. If one wanted a particular series to try something that it's previous installments haven't, it's because they want to see how the developers execute it, and to experience the characters a locales they know and love in a different perspective.

I'm not saying that Nintendo shouldn't produce sequels to games. If a game deserves a sequel, then it's fine by me and I'd be delighted to play it, granted that I enjoyed it's source material. But nothing but sequels (which has been the case with Mario since 2009) just isn't good. There needs to be a healthy balance between original titles and sequels.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Great news if you ask me! (OP)
Had to laugh around this time last year when Mr Miyamato said there'd be no new F-Zero until they found a way to input new ideas into the franchise...... reporter should've replied with "how the fukkin hell have we ended up with 4 'New' Mario games then??' Coz frankly there's nothing new in them... arguably nothing new in the first one! (Maybe he did and Shiggy, who seems an honest guy, said 'coz that's a cash cow' which then had to be removed ;) )

Mario's real sequels have all kind of sucked: there was an air of mysticism surrounding Jap SMB2 (Lost Levels) simply because we didn't get it for so long. Mario 3 offers so much different over Mario 1 you simply cannot call it a proper sequel. Ditto World over 3. SM64 - Sunshine - Galaxy...... all totally different from one another. Galaxy 2? Now that's a sequel...... and whilst it's clearly every bit as good a game as Galaxy 1, perhaps better, it's the first Mario game I haven't bothered completing, yet I played the shit out of Galaxy 1. The same applies to 3D World: it's a fantastic game, but I 100% completed 3D Land, yet lost interest not long after beating Bowser on 3D World.....
So yes, make us wait Nintendo! Bring back the Mario releases of old, where we're waiting that long for a new game we're foaming at the mouth, where the difference between said new game and the last is so large you're screaming 'Best Game Ever' all over again rather than just 'Ho Hum'-ing it through the game.... Fukk it, make us wait until 2017!! :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s