Nintendo Entertainment System is coming back as Nintendo Classic Mini on 11/11

TB_NintendoClassicMiniNES.jpg

Bring back memories and make brand new ones with Nintendo's ultimate retro gaming experience, launching 11th November!

Relive the 80s when the Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System launches in stores on 11th November. The classic NES is back in a familiar-yet-new form as a mini replica of Nintendo’s original home console. Plugging directly into a high-definition TV using the included HDMI cable, the console comes complete with 30 NES games built-in, including beloved classics like Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, PAC-MAN and Kirby’s Adventure.

The Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System comes packaged with an HDMI cable, a USB cable for powering the system*, and one Nintendo Classic Mini: NES Controller. And whether it’s rediscovering an old favourite or experiencing the joy of NES for the first time, the fantastic collection of NES classics included with each and every system should have something for all players.

US Price has been revealed at $59.99 USD, + $10 for a second controller.

:arrow:Source (includes list of games)

Brainsick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I am one of the few that sees this as a money grab. They could easily put the entire NES library on one of these. The game file sizes are very very tiny. Of course they will most likely charge people via Nintendo Shop for more games. PC and hacked console NES emulation has gotten so good that it is exactly like playing a real NES these days. You can even buy USB NES controllers for your PC. I'll stick to my emulators. This is technically an emulation system anyways.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Oh, I'm aware. I signed up for email notification like a year ago. Not a peep.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wouldn't it be embarrassing if this outsold the wii u?!?

$100 in Australia is probably a bit too much to ask.

But that's Australian dollars! :P

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

well considering i have 10 nes consoles including a top loade, r 3 ROBs, and over 430 carts i guess i dont need this. HDMI only is fail. For the best experience you need a crt. There are good hdmi to a/v converters tho.
Is still a cool all in 1 man if it had a cart slot tho... There is good games included and they are worth way more then the $59 price. Arent those controller ports the same as on the wii mote?

What? You're clearly a collector! If anyone needs this thing it's you!

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course they will most likely charge people via Nintendo Shop for more games.
Wrong. It's way worse than that. You get the 30 games... and ONLY the 30 games. The lid doesn't open to let you put an original cartridge in. It does not have connectivity or use external storage. I drooled when I heard the news. Drooled a bit more when I realized you could plug the controller into a Wii controller. Then I discovered that information. $60 is way too much for what it is. Useless. :sad:

At least it has more games than the WiiU.

uhh... what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_software

Last edited by urherenow,
Reactions: Zense

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
The beauty of modern hardware is it's powerful enough to run old hardware well. I can't imagine being like AVGN and having a collection of splitters and two dozen retro consoles under my TV, it's already pretty crowded under there with the several consoles, surround sound system, Fire TV and a few other bits.

I find my Wii U plays it's collection of games (via Loadiine), Wii (via USB Loader GX / CFG USB Loader), GameCube (via Nintendont) and also (S)NES/Genesis/GBA/DS/N64 (via RetroArch or VC depending on the title/system) just fine and amalgamates a lot of different consoles I love into one very well. I'm not a hardware purist so as long as the emulation quality is excellent (stable and faithful recreations of video/sound, no input lag) I'd rather just have one box of tricks to cover just shy of a dozen consoles.

As much as I'm a sucker for retro gaming gadgets, I can comfortably emulate the NES well on my DSiXL, 3DS, Vita and Wii U so I can't justify another emulator since that's all it can do, while all the others can play their own games and emulate other platforms beyond the NES. Again it's that "10 for the price/space of 1" type thinking. This would make an awesome simple travel gadget though - most hotel TVs have a HDMI you can easily get to.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

1. The controller looks great, but you can buy it separate so the controller doesn't argue for buying the console.
2. The games will be emulated with whatever the vc uses to run NES games.
3. If it will run NES cartridges it would be awesome. I'm hoping that hand on the picture is the world's largest hand, since that might mean it's a possibility...
4. I swear to God that if the USB cable is a micro type (like smart phones), I will laugh my ass off from just thinking that I can plug my phone charger into a NES. Of course, I know it's perfectly possible.

1. Yeah, you can use the NES controller on a Wiimote by buying it separately (how cool is that!)
2. Just hope they do the emulation justice.
3. It's too small to actually use cartridges, plus, it's the size of a PSTV so.. yeah.
4. That's what I read on Ninty's page.

People might want this mostly as a collectors item and anyone who wanted a nes system would most likely have one by now.

It's ideal for gamers and collectors. :)

Wouldn't it be embarrassing if this outsold the wii u?!?

$100 in Australia is probably a bit too much to ask.

That would be funny. :P

You get the 30 games... and ONLY the 30 games.
At least they're all great and fun to play.

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They did their market research. People seem to want this. I'm not included in this, but whatever, it's not like I have to buy it.

For something like the Wii U or any console: You can't tell the popularity in advance by market research. The question is "what do gamers want in a console," and not even gamers can tell you the answer. That question could be a whole separate topic, but I'm pretty sure nobody knows the answer, not even gamers.

D

Deleted User

remember when sega made one of these a while back...and everyone hated it? but nintendo does it and everyone loves it :glare:
If I remember correctly, there were some issues with it which either caused games to look or sound bad. Maybe even both, I don't really remember all that well. I could also be thinking of something entirely different.

Reactions: Armadillo
D

Deleted User

*Note that an AC adapter for the USB cable is required to play the system but is not included in the packaging.
Wait WHAT? I will have to buy a AC adapter??? That sucks

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
*Note that an AC adapter for the USB cable is required to play the system but is not included in the packaging.
Wait WHAT? I will have to buy a AC adapter??? That sucks
Nintendo could've been shitlords and force us to use the 3DS power cable but I'm glad USB power is used since I own several Android phones over the years and I've got a handful of the power adapters.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hypothetically, could Nintendo make more original NES systems if there was enough demand for them? (Along with NES cartridges and accessories)

The factories and machinery must be long gone by now.

civickm

Rocky Mountain IT Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo could've been shitlords and force us to use the 3DS power cable but I'm glad USB power is used since I own several Android phones over the years and I've got a handful of the power adapters.
I got tons also with phone upgrades at my company I have boxes of them, mostly sell them for $1 at yard sales lol

Inaki

Trophies
XP
Country
can i hack it

I don't think I like this that much because it will probably be something along the lines of hyperkin's things or worse ( if only it was something like a real NES hardware tuned to output hdmi and read roms from a flash memory... ), but, if I bought one and someone found a way to make it read SDcards and/or USB drivers, I think I would carefully cut the false cap and make it an actual opennable cap ( not very difficult to do because the rotation axis is very close to the border, just "grow" some plastic on the corners on both cut pieces and put some small metal bars between the "grown" corners ).

Just an idea...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...