Nintendo Entertainment System is coming back as Nintendo Classic Mini on 11/11

TB_NintendoClassicMiniNES.jpg

Bring back memories and make brand new ones with Nintendo's ultimate retro gaming experience, launching 11th November!

Relive the 80s when the Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System launches in stores on 11th November. The classic NES is back in a familiar-yet-new form as a mini replica of Nintendo’s original home console. Plugging directly into a high-definition TV using the included HDMI cable, the console comes complete with 30 NES games built-in, including beloved classics like Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, PAC-MAN and Kirby’s Adventure.

The Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System comes packaged with an HDMI cable, a USB cable for powering the system*, and one Nintendo Classic Mini: NES Controller. And whether it’s rediscovering an old favourite or experiencing the joy of NES for the first time, the fantastic collection of NES classics included with each and every system should have something for all players.

US Price has been revealed at $59.99 USD, + $10 for a second controller.

:arrow:Source (includes list of games)

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
While you are probably right that they employ emulation here, a part of me still wishes they simply reproduced the original hardware, but i am very aware of highly unlikely that is compared to the far cheaper solution of emulation.
Its emulation. I dont think that they would use old technology now. Many people don't own nes carts so it would be useless for them

K

KingpinSlim

Its emulation. I dont think that they would use old technology now. Many people don't own nes carts so it would be useless for them
Your assumptions are correct, your reasoning isn't.
Ever since the time of Gunpei Yokoi has Nintendo been about NOTHING but old technology.
It is their company motto. It translates to "Lateral thinking with withered technology".
No Nintendo console has ever been truly high-end. It always used older, proven technologies.
The GameBoy was antiquated even at release.

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Your assumptions are correct, your reasoning isn't.
Ever since the time of Gunpei Yokoi has Nintendo been about NOTHING but old technology.
It is their company motto. It translates to "Lateral thinking with withered technology".
No Nintendo console has ever been truly high-end. It always used older, proven technologies.
The GameBoy was antiquated even at release.
You understood it wrong, the nes is really old and it uses parts that aren't available so easy anymore

K

KingpinSlim

You understood it wrong, the nes is really old and it uses parts that aren't available so easy anymore
Nintendo is a multi-billion dollar company. They have no need to buy "off the shelf" parts.
I know it is most likely to be emulation, but it would be wonderful if it wasn't.

ned

Trophies
XP
Country
Why do you even need the bulky console base just make a snes controller clone that casts
to a tv wirelessy via miracast.

Reactions: Zense

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not off topic at all. We're still talking about the NES being released. And even the game list they do include is stupid. There are so many great NES games... why choose inferior clones of arcade games that predate the NES (like Pacman)? If doing that, why not Rygar? Why Castlevania II and not Castlevania 3 with the enhanced sound? Why not Megaman?

Since the GBA, I've hacked/modded/got a flash cart for every console and handheld I've owned. Emulation of NES games has always been a primary motivation. But FORCING me to hack an NES... so I Can play NES games? Ludicrous!
Haha! That's a good point there...
What I meant by off-topic was starting a discussing about what games are good on the WiiU. Just to elaborate on my argument though, before posting I made a quick count of the WiiU games that scored well on Metacritic and I believe I got to around 15, but I can see people arguing it up to a 30 (if they consider stuff I don't, like NfS, AC3, ME3, HD remakes etc.).

Anyways, you're right by discussing the games included on the NES mini, and I didn't look too closely at the list before commenting. I guess I had too much faith in Nintendo. Still, I would say around two thirds of them are great classics and also what most people (who stopped playing these consoles long time ago) would remember. But yeah, they definitely could've chosen different and better games, like the ones you mention. Personally I would've loved Contra and Dragon Warrior, which for Europeans could be considered the first time we get it on a "NES", together with FF.

I'm pretty convinced that this is just some hardware wrapped in a NES-like plastic shell capable of running whatever they use to emulate VC NES games. It's sad that we got the false hope of them actually using the old hardware, which would've been great.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Absolutely none.
OK. Excuse me.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since it uses a MicroUSB port for power, I think that theoretically it could be plugged into a computer to get firmware upgrades.

It's plausible anyways, if only just as insurance to make sure Nintendo doesn't have to recall them just because there's a change or glitch in the HDMI spec or a bug they missed in one of the roms.

And if that's the case... Maybe we can jailbreak it and add more roms?

It's a very slim chance, but I think it's possible. Perhaps it disables the data channels by default, but you can press a secret button combination to access a utility mode?

Reactions: Zense
K

KingpinSlim

Since it uses a MicroUSB port for power, I think that theoretically it could be plugged into a computer to get firmware upgrades.

It's plausible anyways, if only just as insurance to make sure Nintendo doesn't have to recall them just because there's a change or glitch in the HDMI spec or a bug they missed in one of the roms.

And if that's the case... Maybe we can jailbreak it and add more roms?

It's a very slim chance, but I think it's possible. Perhaps it disables the data channels by default, but you can press a secret button combination to access a utility mode?
What if it has wheels and we can ride it around with one under each foot?
What if it can fly and deliver Donuts straight into our mouth?

None of that makes sense and helps no one?
Yep... thats speculation for ya.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Retron is pure emulation and FAR worse than that. It is emulation based on stolen code.
This device shouldn't even exist.

Retron5 supposedly corrected that, but I don't think they really have any other code; RetroArch developers called them out on it, here's to hoping this NES uses good emulation this time.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The difference being that every Nintendo console since the Wii and DSi are upgradeable (and even the Wii Mini has a service USB port). It stands to reason that the NES Classic may be able to use the USB port for servicing.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
(note: haven't even remotely read the entire thread)

Wow...I gotta say it looks pretty amazing. Reasonable price, all the NES classics and a nice-looking device to boot. The only thing I'm seriously doubting is the wire: it looks as if you're forced to sit almost at point blank range to your television.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you even need the bulky console base just make a snes controller clone that casts
to a tv wirelessy via miracast.

You're right, and that's why I'm probably not buying this. There are already too many ways to enjoy the 8bit and 16bit era games without needing a box with a limited list of installed games. I just bought a Sony Bravia TV last month that has Android for its OS. All the good emulators are there for free, or for 2-3 dollars at most, on the google play store. All I need is a PS4 controller and a USB thumbdrive w/ roms on it and I'm in business.

I own some old consoles (AV Fami, Super Fami, Super Fami Jr., Saturn, Playstation, N64, Gamecube) and I enjoy playing on that real, original hardware very much. But once you're talking emulation, I don't really care whether it's Nintendo's emulator or Nostalgia or SNES9X EX+ or whatever.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're right, and that's why I'm probably not buying this. There are already too many ways to enjoy the 8bit and 16bit era games without needing a box with a limited list of installed games. I just bought a Sony Bravia TV last month that has Android for its OS. All the good emulators are there for free, or for 2-3 dollars at most, on the google play store. All I need is a PS4 controller and a USB thumbdrive w/ roms on it and I'm in business.

I own some old consoles (AV Fami, Super Fami, Super Fami Jr., Saturn, Playstation, N64, Gamecube) and I enjoy playing on that real, original hardware very much. But once you're talking emulation, I don't really care whether it's Nintendo's emulator or Nostalgia or SNES9X EX+ or whatever.

Snes9x EX+ is indeed a very good Snes emulator for Android, probably one of the best.

ned

Trophies
XP
Country

Sony use Mali gpu too like Sammy?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: ok not just