Evercade systems are getting exclusive remastered versions of Duke Nukem 1 & 2

Handheld devices have exploded into popularity these past years, with many companies attempting to make their own handheld device to sell to the masses, and while handheld systems aren't anything new, the recent focus on portable systems has been a main topic for many with devices like the Nintendo Switch and the Steam Deck.

One of these companies is Evercade, who has made both a main console and a handheld device that run legally and officially licensed cartridge-based games for their systems, with titles like Mega Man, Final Fight, Namco Museum, Pac-Man, Galaga, Double Dragon, River City Ransom, and many, many others. One of these officially licensed franchises which was recently announced as cartridges for the Evercade systems are two collections of Duke Nukem titles, and the first Duke Nukem Collection includes a complete remaster of both Duke Nukem 1 and Duke Nukem 2, which were originally PC titles from the 90s.

Developed by Blaze Entertainment, Duke Nukem 1 & 2 Remastered are brand new re-releases of the original titles with a lot of improvements and quality of life changes to bring the titles into the modern age, like 60fps, widescreen support, upscaled graphics (to account for the wider range of view), parallax backgrounds, smooth scrolling, new music, redesigned HUDs, and the option to play the original titles as they were originally released without all of the new improvements.

Duke Nukem 1 & 2 Remastered are getting released as part of the Duke Nukem Collection 1 package, which also includes Duke Nukem 3D: Total Meltdown, and the second package, Duke Nukem Collection 2, will include Duke Nukem: Time to Kill, Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes and Duke Nukem Advance.

These two collection of Duke Nukem games will be available as cartridges for Everdrive systems, with the collections being available for purchase on November, 2023. Pre-orders are up since September for those that own an Everdrive system and are also interested in the collections of these classic Duke Nukem titles.

It is currently unknown if both Duke Nukem 1 & 2 Remastered will be available to systems outside of Everdrive machines.

:arrow: Evercade's Official Website
:arrow: Duke Nukem 1 & 2 Remastered webpage

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Those features are mostly available in open-source ports, of course.

I guess they're skipping Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project because no one's reverse-engineered that engine? Because it would fit right in with old PC platformers that are not especially remembered for their gameplay.

ETA: Manhattan Project has in fact gotten some attention.
https://www.timeextension.com/news/...-just-got-an-incredible-update-21-years-later

Last edited by Kwyjor,

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
only duke nukem 3d is worth of anything 1 is okay and the second one is a mess imo, nothing lost here.

I loooove 3D and the Build engine/level builder. 1 is classic DOS but 2 is like a really terrible early metroidvania, the only good part was shooting the big gun down to fly upward.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I loooove 3D and the Build engine/level builder. 1 is classic DOS but 2 is like a really terrible early metroidvania, the only good part was shooting the big gun down to fly upward.
those maze levels where everything looks the same are horrible, i hate games that you cant locate yourself and no map either.

Reactions: SonyUSA

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Call me crazy, but when I first read this I thought they might actually make them look more like 16-bit console titles of the era. If they'd given then more colors, better background, etc, this might have been interesting. I also couldn't care less about those shitty evercade machines, so, blah...

Reactions: raxadian

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Those features are mostly available in open-source ports, of course.

I guess they're skipping Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project because no one's reverse-engineered that engine? Because it would fit right in with old PC platformers that are not especially remembered for their gameplay.

ETA: Manhattan Project has in fact gotten some attention.
https://www.timeextension.com/news/...-just-got-an-incredible-update-21-years-later

Haven't found the HD version of the first game.

Yeah Second game is not as good as the first one.

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's not like Duke 1 and 2 were massive hits and sure won't entice that many people into buying their console. Megaman might help more, and I'm a sucker for river city ransom.. But the only way I might dive into those titles will be emulation. I seriously doubt most who were around and playing pc games when these came out (like my 42 year old ass) really even care for portable gaming. It's not like I spend any time on public transportation or have any other moment away from home that I desperately need to play games on the go. I don't own a 4000$ tv to play games on a tiny screen..

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are new games but most of them are cross releases with steam and the big 2 …oh and switch I guess.
How doesn't Switch get lumped in with your 'big 2'? I mean it's not as powerful as PlayStation or Xbox, but when talking about the kinds of low-intensity games that this system shares with modern consoles, you're absolutely going to be talking about all 3 of them pretty much across the board. On top of that, the Switch of course is an incredible sales success, much more so than then the Xbone and PS4, it is always outselling the XSX, and over 6 years in, it often outsells tne newer PS5 from month to month, but more and more the PS5 is taking that top monthly spot. Still, if anything, the big 2 should probably be the PS5 and the Switch (again, at least in the context of the games that the Evercade can support), though for this context, I probably would have just called them 'the big 3' and be done with it haha.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Honesty the games don't look that good in this "Remaster" the only difference I can see compared to the open source ports is different sprites that just look like the old ones with a coat of pain.

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Mega Man: The Wily Wars the Sega Genesis Improvement of the first 3 games can be basically played anywhere you can run Sega Genesis emulator in. The fixes are quite noticeable and for me is the best way to play the first 3 games.​

I had not read the details on which megaman was meant to be released making this announcements of theirs even funnier. Thanks for the tip.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So salty