New 'Metroid Dread' trailer released

metroid dread.JPG

In anticipation of Samus Aran’s return in Metroid Dread in October, Nintendo released a new trailer for the game today. It introduces some of Samus' new abilities as well as some of the cryptic terrors you will encounter on planet ZDR.

Metroid Dread will launch on October 8 on the Nintendo Switch.

:arrow: SOURCE

wiiando

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A scroller, that's the best Nintendo can do after so many years, seems like minimal effort for maximum reward, disappointing, guess the switch can't handle a full blown fps

Yes I get it, Nintendo have done this purposely as a reboot of the 2D era of Metroid, still doesn't leave me any less disappointed

Last edited by wiiando,
Reactions: weatMod

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
A scroller, that's the best Nintendo can do after so many years, seems like minimal effort for maximum reward, disappointing, guess the switch can't handle a full blown fps
Umm what? Prime 4 is still in development. And most people would say the 2D Metroid games hold up better over time anyway, myself included. Prime was of course mind-blowing in its...prime though.

Reactions: Kioku and Wavy

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Yes I get it, Nintendo have done this purposely as a reboot of the 2D era of Metroid, still doesn't leave me any less disappointed

FPS is not the natural "next step" in the advancement of gaming. It's a different format, and personally, I tend to dislike it.

wiiando

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm what? Prime 4 is still in development. And most people would say the 2D Metroid games hold up better over time anyway, myself included. Prime was of course mind-blowing in its...prime though.

Still, haven't people waited long enough, we heard about Prime 4, 4 years ago?

As I said IMO, it's definitely not what I wanted, why not just actually focus on the Prime 4 instead of this.

It's not a reboot. It's a continuation of the x parasite story after metroid 4 fusion.

Not a reboot of the series, but a reboot of 2d prime

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

FPS is not the natural "next step" in the advancement of gaming. It's a different format, and personally, I tend to dislike it.

After prime was such a success why go back when you have a 3d "capable" console?

TBH it just seems more like a stop gap for Nintendo to keep earning, knowing that the IP will sell no matter what.

Don't get me wrong I like Metroid in all it's variations, would just have preferred to see it as a FPS

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Initially, yes, but development was restarted with a different developer like two years ago. AAA titles, even for the Switch, take a solid 3-4 years to develop, which is also why we don't have BotW 2 yet.

As I said IMO, it's definitely not what I wanted, why not just actually focus on the Prime 4 instead of this.
Neither takes any focus away from the other, Dread is developed by MercurySteam and Nintendo EPD, while Prime 4 was being developed by Bandai-Namco before restarting development under Retro Studios.

Last edited by Xzi,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

In an interview with Revogamers in 2010, Sakamoto explicitly stated that the Prime Series are part of the Metroid timeline. A 2021 interview with him reiterated this point, while emphasizing that the Prime series is a contained sub-series with a small number references to it in the traditional-style Metroid games.

TBH it just seems more like a stop gap for Nintendo to keep earning, knowing that the IP will sell no matter what.

Stop gap? I don't think so. It's a continuation of the series.

Don't get me wrong I like Metroid in all it's variations, would just have preferred to see it as a FPS

And I don't really care that much for Metroid Prime tbh. I can play it, but I don't find it to be as much fun for my personal taste.

Reactions: Xzi

Crazystato

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I initially thought this game was just a hide and seek game constantly being chased by something that can't be killed. Anxiety inducing shit and something I'd usually stay well away from. This on the other hand looks like a pretty cool platformer now. Might give it a crack.

RodriGames40

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela

After prime was such a success why go back when you have a 3d "capable" console?

I think you don't know what are you talking about. Metroid never was about being a FPS actually, the Prime saga is just a different franchise altogether, the Metroid we all know always was an amazing sidescroller... Seriously, just admit that you don't like 2D Metroid games and get over it, I awaited 19 freaking years for this to release.

Lol, you don't know what are you talking about. Metroid never was about being a FPS actually, the Prime saga is just a different franchise altogether, the Metroid we all know always was an amazing sidescroller... Seriously, just admit that you don't like 2D Metroid games and get over it, I awaited 19 freaking years for this to release.
And funnily enough, Metroid has never sold as much as you're claiming lmfao, it's actually pretty niche since Gamecube, and I'm hoping Metroid 5 will finally scratch some sales again.

Last edited by RodriGames40,

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's all a dream Samus had during a virus induced coma. Game credits include reminders to do your part and wear masks and get semi-annual vaccinations.10 seconds after credits end, you hear audio of the scientists saying it was a mistake using the previous experitmental DNA-altering vaccine on Samus.

Reactions: RobXcore

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Initially, yes, but development was restarted with a different developer like two years ago. AAA titles, even for the Switch, take a solid 3-4 years to develop, which is also why we don't have BotW

Neither takes any focus away from the other, Dread is developed by MercurySteam and Nintendo EPD, while Prime 4 is being developed by Bandai-Namco.

you mean was being developed by Bandai/Namco right ? It was taken away and given back to original developers Retro Studios who have a new team of some of the best FPS designers

also I’m a huge fan of the 2D Metroid and I think the 2.5 complements it well I hope it can stay and live along side the franchise for years to come .Plus this time around Metroid and Mercury Steam is getting a shot during the heart of the Switch’s cycle unlike the 3DS. The videos in the story look great I hope they did a great job with background sounds can’t wait to play this in handheld with headphones

Last edited by Teletron1,

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know there is just something about mercury steam that is just very generic, I feel like if I have played one of their 2.5d side scrollers I have played them
I feel like it's just going through the motions
I finished both CV LOS MOF and Samus returns and they just feel like almost the same game with a different theme
both are pretty mediocre and meh
this just looks like more of the same to me
the only think that held my interest while playing the other 2 games, CV LOS MOF and Samus returns was the 3D effect on the 3DS otherwise both of them would have really uninteresting and even more boring

I really wish we could get a proper 3rd person 3D metroid game or at least one with an option for 3rd person and first person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: colonel, I'm trying to sneak around +1