Hardware New 3DS XL; TN/IPS Touch Screen?

TechAndrew

Untitled
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,
I'm planning on purchasing a New 3DS XL.
However, there's one thing that has been a big consideration.

I'm looking for a USA Region New 3DS XL that is not Red or Black, and has a firmware lower than 11.0.0-33U.
Additionally, I'm trying to see if it's possible to get one that has IPS on both screens.

Is there a certain model that only bears this attribute?
If applicable, is there a huge price difference between a Dual IPS New 3DS XL and a Top Screen IPS New 3DS XL?

And to finish off any of my "TN/IPS - Top/Touch Possibility Matrix" confusions, does a Top Screen TN + Touch Screen IPS New 3DS XL exist?

Thanks,
Andrew21

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
I'm planning on purchasing a New 3DS XL.
However, there's one thing that has been a big consideration.

I'm looking for a USA Region New 3DS XL that is not Red or Black, and has a firmware lower than 11.0.0-33U.
Additionally, I'm trying to see if it's possible to get one that has IPS on both screens.

If applicable, is there a huge price difference between a Dual IPS New 3DS XL and a Top Screen IPS New 3DS XL?

And to finish off any of my "TN/IPS - Top/Touch Possibility Matrix" confusions, does a Top Screen TN + Touch Screen IPS New 3DS XL exist?

Thanks,
Andrew21
All are below 10.6 and as for the top screen the top will always be IPS unless its a super old model on 9.0-9.2 but the bottom screen is mixed with TN or IPS.

deadf1sh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What i learned before buying mine (Hyrule, top IPS bottom TN):
I'm trying to see if it's possible to get one that has IPS on both screens.
Yes possible but absolutely no guarantee
No
It's lottery, but you have higher chance by buying Fire Emblem Fates Edition which is more expensive.
From what i've read yes, some people have reported Hyrule Warriors and FE edition with both, but it's uncommon.
I would advice to buy Hyrule or FE, you will most likely get at least a top screen IPS (and they are really nice)
Other option is to wait for the next pokémon or Monster Hunter Generations edition, and see what people are reporting (but beware of FW)

To add to your OCD about hardware, there are two versions of the hinges that hold screens: one with no click and not loose, the other with loud click and loose hinge, which is very annoying (i got that one)

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ijust tested mine, which is a plain black one I bought used on Amfor $150. The top appears to be TN, and the bottom appears to be IPS. Also, the top is slightly but noticably more yellow than the bottom.

TechAndrew

Untitled
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, according to all of your replies and some research I've done, here's a probability chart (bold = desired path):
New 3DS XL - IPS Top - IPS Bottom 25% --> With "Clicky" and "Wobbly" Hinge 12.5%
--> With "Quiet" and "Firm" Hinge 12.5%
New 3DS XL - IPS Top - TN Bottom 25% --> With "Clicky" and "Wobbly" Hinge 12.5%
New 3DS XL - TN Top - IPS Bottom 25% --> With "Clicky" and "Wobbly" Hinge 12.5%
New 3DS XL - TN Top - TN Bottom 25% --> With "Clicky" and "Wobbly" Hinge 12.5%

And, for curiosity's sake, I did some research on my Old 3DS XL, and it turned out to be the WORST combination :sad::
Old 3DS XL - IPS Top - IPS Bottom (No Confirmed Reports) --> With "Clicky" and "Wobbly" Hinge 0%
--> With "Quiet" and "Firm" Hinge 0%

Old 3DS XL - IPS Top - TN Bottom 50% --> With "Clicky" and "Wobbly" Hinge 25%
--> With "Quiet" and "Firm" Hinge 25%
Old 3DS XL - TN Top - IPS Bottom (No Confirmed Reports) --> With "Clicky" and "Wobbly" Hinge 0%
--> With "Quiet" and "Firm" Hinge 0%

Old 3DS XL - TN Top - TN Bottom 50% --> With "Clicky" and "Wobbly" Hinge 25%
--> With "Quiet" and "Firm" Hinge 25%

Red9419

Trophies
XP
Country
All are below 10.6 and as for the top screen the top will always be IPS unless its a super old model on 9.0-9.2 but the bottom screen is mixed with TN or IPS.
I actually got a N3ds xl about a month ago that came with 10.5(?) and came with a TN display on top and on the bottom.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually got a N3ds xl about a month ago that came with 10.5(?) and came with a TN display on top and on the bottom.
If you got it a month ago it should have been on 10.3? I've gone through 11 N3DS XL and have yet to see a TN top screen.

Red9419

Trophies
XP
Country
If you got it a month ago it should have been on 10.3? I've gone through 11 N3DS XL and have yet to see a TN top screen.
Mine is the red variant. Im not sure on the version though. Was not on 9.2 because i needed to downgrade with svchk( i think thats what its called).
Top and bottom tn screen. Probably bad luck

Last edited by Red9419,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o