Is the TWL NAND different between an Old 3DS and a New 3DS?

SuperMonkeyCherrim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ask this because I'm trying to run a DSi CFW app that seems to work totally fine on 2DS, but if I were to try said app on a New 3DS XL and a New 2DS XL, it opens the app and then shows a white screen which fades to black and says "an error has occured, please turn the DSi off."

I compared both TWL NANDS across all systems, and they seem to be identical. I was wondering, is there any major difference in the TWL NAND that could cause this app to not work on Newer 3DS models?

SuperMonkeyCherrim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not. I'm trying to test something about regarding two apps: DSi System Settings, and 3DS Transfer Tool. Obviously, there is no practical use for them, but I am curious why they work on old 3DS models but not new 3DS models.

It's for a side project

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not. I'm trying to test something about regarding two apps: DSi System Settings, and 3DS Transfer Tool. Obviously, there is no practical use for them, but I am curious why they work on old 3DS models but not new 3DS models.

It's for a side project
question is. do you have other known good ds carts that work on one or both?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States

It's for a side project
Careful with what you do with DSi System Settings on a 3DS. If you go into Data Management it's gonna nuke a bunch of stuff off TWL Nand because it won't see valid TMDs for them. 3DS handles those (along with the tickets differently and it won't understand that.

This will brick TWL_FIRM and cause it to just blackscreen/show error. (I forget which it does at the moment) You wont even be able to launch DS carts.

SuperMonkeyCherrim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The version I have of the settings (because I’ve seen it on my O2DS) does not have a data management option, so that shouldn’t be an issue. I also have a backup of everything just in case, so that’s not an issue for me.
Post automatically merged:

Careful with what you do with DSi System Settings on a 3DS. If you go into Data Management it's gonna nuke a bunch of stuff off TWL Nand because it won't see valid TMDs for them. 3DS handles those (along with the tickets differently and it won't understand that.

This will brick TWL_FIRM and cause it to just blackscreen/show error. (I forget which it does at the moment) You wont even be able to launch DS carts.
Oops, forgot to quote this

do you have ds games which you can use on the 3ds that gives that error?
I don’t. All of them seem to work fine except those two apps.

Don’t want to spam messages but I figured a picture would help. It appears both apps work fine on an old 2DS, but on a New 3DXL they both have different errors. I’m not sure what causes either of them, that’s what prompted my original question.

With some more testing, it appears this issue also applies to the DSi Shop. It appears that the TWL Nand on both systems are identical. Does it have to do with the CTR NAND?

Attachments

• IMG_8436.jpeg
    IMG_8436.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8438.jpeg
    IMG_8438.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
Last edited by SuperMonkeyCherrim,
Reactions: Apache Thunder

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat