Old 2DS NAND Backup.

Amey8a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Does anybody here have a nand backup of their old 2ds they can share? I am working on troubleshooting an annoying issue on my old 2ds which doesn't occur on my new 3ds xl. Kindly let me know if you have it.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anybody here have a nand backup of their old 2ds they can share?
Unless you want to brick your 2ds, otherwise i wouldn't do that.
I am working on troubleshooting an annoying issue on my old 2ds which doesn't occur on my new 3ds xl. Kindly let me know if you have it.
Describe your issue in detail, maybe we can help.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody here have a nand backup of their old 2ds they can share?
Bad idea. You're going to brick your console if you do this. Plus, it is also against the rules to share copyrighted content on GBAtemp, bet you didn't read the rules of the forum by the looks of things. :creep:

I am working on troubleshooting an annoying issue on my old 2ds which doesn't occur on my new 3ds xl.
What kind of problems are you having with your 3DS? Please explain it in greater details and provide as much info (if possible).

Amey8a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Unless you want to brick your 2ds, otherwise i wouldn't do that.

Describe your issue in detail, maybe we can help.
I am all OK with bricking it I am that much annoyed. The issue is very specific to only one title and that is Pokemon emerald running natively on my old 2ds.

You can get the idea from my post I made sometime ago.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/text-an...pokemon-emerald-vc-injected-with-nsui.620348/

The issue is peculiar that it happens on my old 2ds only. I have a new 3ds xl as well and it doesn't have this issue. I have installed exactly same inject on both devices and tried with open agb firm as well. The issue is still persistent.

From my finding, If I open any other gba game and save it followed by opening the emerald game, the issue goes away temporarily and returns after soft resetting or reopening the game.

I have tested my old 2ds hardware for any memory issue or hardware issue and it is completely clean. I have tried ctr transfer as well to see if it solves the issue but nope. The issue is still present.

I want to completely replace the nand even if it bricks my 2ds. I just want to troubleshoot my old 2ds and really want to know, what is causing this peculiar issue that happens with Pokemon emerald only.
Post automatically merged:

Bad idea. You're going to brick your console if you do this. Plus, it is also against the rules to share copyrighted content on GBAtemp, bet you didn't read the rules of the forum by the looks of things. :creep:

What kind of problems are you having with your 3DS? Please explain it in greater details and provide as much info (if possible).
I have read the instructions here but I don't have any other way of troubleshooting this peculiar issue I mentioned in replies.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This could lead to a few things; from my theory, either the RAM is faulty or that the OPEN_AGL_FIRM was not installed correctly. Try re-installing OPEN_AGL_FIRM, or, if that doesn't work then you could replace the RAM with ones from either a donor board or newer stock, that is, if you have skilled soldering.

Amey8a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
This could lead to a few things; from my theory, either the RAM is faulty or that the OPEN_AGL_FIRM was not installed correctly. Try re-installing OPEN_AGL_FIRM, or, if that doesn't work then you could replace the RAM with ones from either a donor board or newer stock, that is, if you have skilled soldering.
Tested ram with hardware test tool. All is clear. Tried open agb firm properly because it doesn't even require installing. I have set it properly just like other firmwares. Currently I am looking for an old 2ds from used market to check if it behaves like this old 2ds.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tested ram with hardware test tool. All is clear. Tried open agb firm properly because it doesn't even require installing. I have set it properly just like other firmwares. Currently I am looking for an old 2ds from used market to check if it behaves like this old 2ds.
Have you ensured that you had made a NAND backup? Because if you haven't, then you will have to manually download the system titles from the CDN and re-install them that way.

Amey8a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Have you ensured that you had made a NAND backup? Because if you haven't, then you will have to manually download the system titles from the CDN and re-install them that way.
I have my original NAND backup from the homebrew guide. It was/is the crucial part which I can't miss. I have tried restoring my original NAND as well but the issue is still present.

Best you can do is try ctrtransfer if you need to attempt to fix a broken nand.
I have my personal OLD NAND Backup. I am not looking for ctrTransfer because I have tried that as well. My NAND is not broken. I am looking for Another NAND backup to check if my NAND have any corrupted Partitions.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am looking for Another NAND backup to check if my NAND have any corrupted Partitions.
How will you know that yours is? 'cause no two nands are alike.

As for your issue it's weird that's happening with just one game and not all gba games (VC & Open_agb_firm). Try reformatting the sd as Fat32 32kb cluster size as i suggested in your other thread. Don't rush in to restore some other system's nand, it won't help fix your problem.

Last edited by CoolMe,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have my original NAND backup from the homebrew guide. It was/is the crucial part which I can't miss. I have tried restoring my original NAND as well but the issue is still present.

I have my personal OLD NAND Backup. I am not looking for ctrTransfer because I have tried that as well. My NAND is not broken. I am looking for Another NAND backup to check if my NAND have any corrupted Partitions.

Like other said you can't use other people NAND, you just going to brick if you don't use an universal CTR Transfer NAND.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thankfully GodMode9 will by default not even start restoring a backup with the wrong encryption key (means: backup from another system).
However, it is possibly to force such a restore → with the result of an 8046 BOOTROM ERROR. ← No way out of this without ntrboot.
=====

The issue is strange. I have no idea what is going on. It would be very hard and overly expensive for me to obtain an English Emerald cartridge in order to try it myself. The German version "Pokémon Smaragd Edition" shows no problems on my O2DS with open_agb_firm (at least in the first few minutes – can't play Pokémon right now, it makes me too sad). Everything fine – in and outside battle.

Quick thing to try:
Take another, freshly FAT32 formatted SD for your 2DS and copy the absolute minimum of files:
SD:/boot.firm (open_agb_firm.firm renamed)
SD:/emerald.gba

Reactions: CoolMe

Amey8a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
How will you know that yours is? 'cause no two nands are alike.

As for your issue it's weird that's happening with just one game and not all gba games (VC & Open_agb_firm). Try reformatting the sd as Fat32 32kb cluster size as i suggested in your other thread. Don't rush in to restore some other system's nand, it won't help fix your problem.
Did that already.

If you replace your NAND with a dump from another console there is no "if" it bricks... it WILL brick.
I know. I am ready to brick it.

Like other said you can't use other people NAND, you just going to brick if you don't use an universal CTR Transfer NAND.
I know. I have already tried,

1. ctr transfer,

2. Restoring original nand,

3. checked ram with hardware test firm

4. formatted sd card with proper settings

5. tried multiple sd cards.

Thankfully GodMode9 will by default not even start restoring a backup with the wrong encryption key (means: backup from another system).
However, it is possibly to force such a restore → with the result of an 8046 BOOTROM ERROR. ← No way out of this without ntrboot.
=====

The issue is strange. I have no idea what is going on. It would be very hard and overly expensive for me to obtain an English Emerald cartridge in order to try it myself. The German version "Pokémon Smaragd Edition" shows no problems on my O2DS with open_agb_firm (at least in the first few minutes – can't play Pokémon right now, it makes me too sad). Everything fine – in and outside battle.

Quick thing to try:
Take another, freshly FAT32 formatted SD for your 2DS and copy the absolute minimum of files:
SD:/boot.firm (open_agb_firm.firm renamed)
SD:/emerald.gba
Tried those fixes already with no luck.

Amey8a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
As long as you know that's the ONLY thing you'll achieve - there is no chance of it fixing anything, a brick is the ONLY outcome.
I am already looking for buying another old 2ds just to check if the issue is my device specific. My current goal is to get an extended memory test and hardware test firmware. Currently available hardware test firmware gives clean results but I am sure, it is missing something.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know. I am ready to brick it.
Flashing an image from another device is the same as flashing random data to the NAND chip.
It is the software equivalent of trying to (hardware) repair electronics with a sledge hammer.

I am already looking for buying another old 2ds just to check if the issue is my device specific. My current goal is to get an extended memory test and hardware test firmware. Currently available hardware test firmware gives clean results but I am sure, it is missing something.
Trying another console is a good idea in the process of elimination. No idea if GBA mode makes any use of NVRAM like DS(i) mode. Swapping the WiFi chip could rule that out (if the 2DS is an early model – at some point O2DS came with WiFi chip soldered on like the new series consoles).
You have ruled out pretty much everything. Still strange that only one single game shows issues. How about very similar games (if you have any other Pokémon gen 3 games or even Emerald in another language).
I guess you verified the checksum(s) of your ROM. Just for reference I took a peak into no-intro.
"Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe).gba"
CRC321f1c08fb
MD5605b89b67018abcea91e693a4dd25be3
SHA-1f3ae088181bf583e55daf962a92bb46f4f1d07b7
SHA256a9dec84dfe7f62ab2220bafaef7479da0929d066ece16a6885f6226db19085af

Reactions: CoolMe

Amey8a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Flashing an image from another device is the same as flashing random data to the NAND chip.
It is the software equivalent of trying to (hardware) repair electronics with a sledge hammer.

Trying another console is a good idea in the process of elimination. No idea if GBA mode makes any use of NVRAM like DS(i) mode. Swapping the WiFi chip could rule that out (if the 2DS is an early model – at some point O2DS came with WiFi chip soldered on like the new series consoles).
You have ruled out pretty much everything. Still strange that only one single game shows issues. How about very similar games (if you have any other Pokémon gen 3 games or even Emerald in another language).
I guess you verified the checksum(s) of your ROM. Just for reference I took a peak into no-intro.
CRC321f1c08fb
I have tried all gen 3 games which includes, Firered, leaf green, ruby and sapphire. All are ok with no glitches or any similar graphical artifact.

Yes, I have the same rom with exact md5 signature with rom entry at 7F instead of 2E.

Finding :- I have been testing pokemon emerald japanese rom I got from no-intro archive for testing purposes. I can see that it is not showing the issues like the US release even after trying to replicate same conditions. I have not tried japanese release with open agb firm but the inject is working slightly better. I am getting some minor battle transition artifacts but still better than image glitches in US release.

Last edited by Amey8a,
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Amey8a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India

CRC321f1c08fb
Only emerald English ROM have the issue. Japanese and German, France Emerald ROMs are working properly without any glitching.

• Wow
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Only emerald English ROM have the issue. Japanese and German, France Emerald ROMs are working properly without any glitching.
I'm stumped. No ideas: Sorry. How could one pinpoint the issue!? You really rules out everything one can think of.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch