Hacking New 3DS XL/CFW/SD Corruption

ToolPunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok sooooo, I bought a New 3DS XL and followed the same CFW guide as me x2 o3DS XL varying @ the "New" parts obviously. I had previously bought a brand new 32GB SD from Wally World for the setup. Couple weeks down the road the 3DS crashes when browsing the games multiple times. I found it was x2 of the games that I had installed to the system. Any time you moved onto them the system would crash. I uninstalled them and the issue went away. Few weeks later the whole system froze up. Upon Hard powering off and restarting, none of the games were in the menu. Going into settings>data management>3DS>Software I receive the message "The microSD Card software management information is corrupted. Reset now?". When I put the SD card into my PC, windows could not repair it. I transferred all the files off the SD card but there was 3GB of used space with no files showing. I formatted the Card and put the files back hoping that is was an individual game that corrupt as before but upon booting the 3DS still no games and the same error message in settings.

Questions;

Why did this happen? What could cause this? What is the Deal? Is there a remedy? A Fix? Why is this only happening on my New 3DS XL?
Is there anything I can do at this point to save any of my games and saves?
If I have to start fresh how do I go about reinstalling the B9/Luna files to the SD?

Resaec

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm 99% sure bought a shitty fake microSD thats dying of minor use...
Check your SD like you are told in the tutorial with F3 or the windows version.
If it is corrupted get a refund and buy a legit one for a legit price

Last edited by Resaec,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok sooooo, I bought a New 3DS XL and followed the same CFW guide as me x2 o3DS XL varying @ the "New" parts obviously. I had previously bought a brand new 32GB SD from Wally World for the setup. Couple weeks down the road the 3DS crashes when browsing the games multiple times. I found it was x2 of the games that I had installed to the system. Any time you moved onto them the system would crash. I uninstalled them and the issue went away. Few weeks later the whole system froze up. Upon Hard powering off and restarting, none of the games were in the menu. Going into settings>data management>3DS>Software I receive the message "The microSD Card software management information is corrupted. Reset now?". When I put the SD card into my PC, windows could not repair it. I transferred all the files off the SD card but there was 3GB of used space with no files showing. I formatted the Card and put the files back hoping that is was an individual game that corrupt as before but upon booting the 3DS still no games and the same error message in settings.

Questions;

Why did this happen? What could cause this? What is the Deal? Is there a remedy? A Fix? Why is this only happening on my New 3DS XL?
If I have to start fresh how do I go about reinstalling the B9/Luna files to the SD?

To add what @Resaec said,

Please reformat the card empty and run a full write + verify test with H2testw. Any time you buy a new SD card or flash memory, you have to always check with that program for fakes whether you bought it from in-store or online. Can't trust the labels due to increasingly convincing counterfeits. Don't ever assume your card is real. This is how the scammers get you.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

ToolPunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm 99% sure bought a shitty fake microSD thats dying of minor use...
Check your SD like you are told in the tutorial with F3 or the windows version.
If it is corrupted get a refund and buy a legit one for a legit price

Nice comment... forget to eat that day? I don't buy crap... I said I bought it at Walmart it is PNY so... good going there.

To add what @Resaec said,

Please reformat the card empty and run a full write + verify test with H2testw. Any time you buy a new SD card or flash memory, you have to always check with that program for fakes whether you bought it from in-store or online. Can't trust the labels due to increasingly convincing counterfeits. Don't ever assume your card is real. This is how the scammers get you.

I don't buy shady products, ty for not helping though... I already reformatted the card before the post and today I am running H2testw but I wanted some experienced answers In case the test came back 100%. I have witnessed lame people that bring me their 128GB SD cards and show them it is only a 2GB card, this is not my case so please avoid assuming you know the problem when the problem was clearly stated above.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice comment... forget to eat that day? I don't buy crap... I said I bought it at Walmart it is PNY so... good going there.

I don't buy shady products, ty for not helping though... I already reformatted the card before the post and today I am running H2testw but I wanted some experienced answers In case the test came back 100%. I have witnessed lame people that bring me their 128GB SD cards and show them it is only a 2GB card, this is not my case so please avoid assuming you know the problem when the problem was clearly stated above.

You think just because you bought it from Walmart, you can't get a fake card that way? Again, as someone who is experienced with flash memory, you can never make the assumption your USB flash drive, SD card, and related products are real in this day and age because counterfeiters have polluted the supply lines any where along the way from factory to store shelves and commercial inventory hubs.

Neither @Resaec and I meant to be rude to you as your listed problems points to fake or bad card. That's almost always the case when users present themselves with data corruption through normal 3DS usage.

If H2testw comes back clean, then great. No harm done if we're wrong from our end. We can't help you troubleshoot what's wrong with your setup until we can ascertain or rule out faulty hardware <- this takes #1 priority over everything else or none of the followup steps will matters.

ToolPunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never assumed that because I bought it from a department store that it was 100% without fault... My issue was in the assumption that you jumped straight to, the person on the other end is dumb enough to buy fake/faulty product... All that aside...

https://image.ibb.co/jhX6zo/Proof.jpg

So can we get back to the OP....

Last edited by ToolPunk,

upfromtheskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like your SD card is bad, I would try replacing it. I had a similar issue with a card that I bought from Best Buy, you can get bad cards even from big retailers.

Undi

TRASH 悲しい天使
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Please test another SD Card to really be sure that's not the problem, it's likely 80% of the time "the problem" .
If the SD is not faulty, just do the CFW install again after completely clean your n3ds.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never assumed that because I bought it from a department store that it was 100% without fault... My issue was in the assumption that you jumped straight to, the person on the other end is dumb enough to buy fake/faulty product... All that aside...

https://image.ibb.co/jhX6zo/Proof.jpg

So can we get back to the OP....

The reason why I tell everyone here to go straight to checking with H2testw whenever dealing with a newly purchased SD card is because you have to default to treating that card as fake or bad until it's proven otherwise. I see it all too often many 3DS/2DS users who go into denial mode either due to shame of being ripped off or taking the advice of safeguarding themselves as an insult. In any case, no one here is calling your intelligence into question, but at the same time, intelligence does not fully prevent one from the off chance of receiving/purchasing fake/broken cards. Never underestimate the sneakiness of those crafty bastards who've forced our hands in needing to do that pre-check.

No one knows for sure why your setup is acting the way it does. Here are some presented theories for you to check out.

(1) Legit card but too slow theory

Do you have the make and model number of your SD card? If you bought an old card like this Class 4 one, it can't keep up with the N3DSXL.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/PNY-32GB-MicroSDHC-Card/19604307

c3363883-4d5c-4512-a83f-c074d3aff3cf_1.bf2647ae36712a90d980dd7b62b41a4e.jpeg

(2) Real card but physically faulty theory
It's possible your card is imperfect. Because of the nature of semi-conductor manufacturing and batch sampling quality inspections, defective cards can and do make it out the factory and slip onto sales floor. You may have gotten a card that works under most circumstances but has poor heat tolerance when pushed to the max. To check for this, subject your card to lots of reading and writing. If it feels hot to the touch, the card needs to be retired as it's a fire risk.

(3) Factory dud N3DSXL with bad micro SD reader theory
Rare scenario, but it can happen. The only way to check for this is by rebuilding your setup on a different card and stress testing it over a span of a week or two until results are satisfactory. If data corruption happens again, exchange the 3DS unit.

(4) AOG (Act of God) theory
You ever had a moment or several when nothing goes right for you with no logical explanation for why it's you? Yah, it's not fun. :(

As for saving your game saves, you can try this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/dead-3ds-sd-card-how-do-i-fix-it.506605/#post-8032562

As for rebuilding CFW onto your card: https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-cfw-restoring-functionality-on-a-new-sd-card.507458/#post-8052010

ToolPunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I found out something that may or may not have relevance. I added everything back to the SD card one main folder at a time. I found out that the files in the following folder SD/Nintendo 3DS/SD/Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>/dbs (title.db/import.db), are the files causing the corruption error to appear. Without that folder there is no error but still no games or saves.

@TurdPooCharger
1.) I Don't buy anything slower than UHS 1

2.) Tested that, no issues

3.) Possible, will have to wait and see

4.) Also possible

I left just the dbs folder on there and let the system reset the SD card to clear the error. I put all my folders back onto the 3DS and there is still no error but also no games or saves.

Last edited by ToolPunk,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, can you edit your post to SD/Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1> ??? I think those are your keys which can be used to reverse calculate your movable.sed, which is bad because scrupulous users can recreate it, use it, do ban worthy online activities, and get you banned. I might be wrong on the details on this one as there's another seed named something file. One of them is really important to your 3DS online access.

Edit - Nevermind, disregard the key. The friend seed is the one that affects online access, which is not related to movable.sed. Should have picked up on that from brief review from seedminer.

Edit 2 - Since you have both O3DSXL and N3DSXL, try testing the problematic micro SD card on the old system with an adapter.

ToolPunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I figured out how to restore my content. After letting the 3DS reset the data management files, I transferred back the CFW files. Everything worked but the games/saves weren't visible anymore. After testing it with a couple games, I have to re-install each game and then copy over from my back up files the .sav from each game folder.

Once everything is back in place we will see if I run into anymore corruption issues...

Thank you everyone for working with me on this case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)