trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do you even know what you're talking about?
The common R4i SaveDongle can backup and restore 3DS saves. Also, the 3DS does not check save integrity (except for the DSi-exploit games, from what I've heard).
Time to sign up for a cryptography class. 3DS DOES check save integrity since the save file is encrypted and has a checksum. If you just simply modify save file without doing anything else, 3DS will treat the saves as corrupted.

[Jez]

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
probably injected a hacked save into a retail cart...
Probably not...
neimod said:
Thesspa: Unfortunately, you forget that you also need to update the embedded signature inside the 'hex edited' savegame to match the changes you made. Otherwise the 3ds will not accept the modified savegame.
The method to calculate the signature is based on AES, which you will find close to impossible to break without the right key. Nobody outside of Nintendo's engineering circle managed to recalculate the signature. Until now...

Reactions: 1 person

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
probably injected a hacked save into a retail cart...
Probably not...
neimod said:
Thesspa: Unfortunately, you forget that you also need to update the embedded signature inside the 'hex edited' savegame to match the changes you made. Otherwise the 3ds will not accept the modified savegame.
The method to calculate the signature is based on AES, which you will find close to impossible to break without the right key. Nobody outside of Nintendo's engineering circle managed to recalculate the signature. Until now...

Probably so. It was an edited save ... but much more than that because Neimod also cracked Nint's savegame signature. The guy in the flickr thread Neimod was replying to was the one who suggested that Neimod's Lego hack was just a generic hex edit. I don't think Stanleyopar2000 was saying that:

Thesspa
So you hex edited a save file.
The average idiot can do this, you once great legacy has faded to almost nothing

neimod (5 hours ago)

Reactions: 2 people

nukeboy95

Old skool member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
saw this as a comment

gallery_260705_1402_4628.png

Reactions: 2 people

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I guess that clears that up; he did modify the saved game. I wonder if Nintendo will change the signature in the next update.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess they won't bother until there is at least some kind of tool released

http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Savegames#Tools

3DSFuse supports resigning and rehashing 3DS save files currently.

But even so, Nintendo probably won't update the save file signing for a least a few more updates since, if they rush it, it's more likely to not be as safe for them as they may like it. And even if they do update it, I doubt they would use it on older games. (like the newer save encryption method didn't get implemented into older games)

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I think they cant change the key, bacause that would break saving in older games. (Maybe change key only in new games?)

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
But even so, Nintendo probably won't update the save file signing for a least a few more updates since, if they rush it, it's more likely to not be as safe for them as they may like it. And even if they do update it, I doubt they would use it on older games. (like the newer save encryption method didn't get implemented into older games)
Yeah, that would break game compatibility on systems with older firmware because the update containing the newer signature/method would not be included on the game card. If they do it, they'll just quietly introduce it in a newer version of the SDK.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Yeah, that would break game compatibility on systems with older firmware because the update containing the newer signature/method would not be included on the game card. If they do it, they'll just quietly introduce it in a newer version of the SDK.

well its just a firmware update
it happened before with super mario 3D Land in update 2.1.0-3
if you try to boot the game it says, not without update 2.1.0-3 and will ask if you wish to install it
they will most likely do this again when the new xor key is released
but Lego Star Wars III was an older game that came out at launchi thought?

elisherer

I ♥ 3DS
Trophies
Website
www.sherer.co.il
XP
Country
Iceland
That's why patience is important now...we need as much games as pssible on the market before we use the exploit.

It might not be available in all the games.
And new games, once the exploit is out, will patch it, and then we would be stuck with all the games published prior to the release.

And to add to the other conversation, Nintendo can make a "grey" list of 3ds games which are exploitable and mark them to run only with a newer firmware or a patch installed from eShop.
(Although users should be able to buy a 3ds and run the games they buy without an internet connection!)

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, if this does go anywhere, should I get Lego Star Wars 3 soon in case they patch it?
Why wouldn't anyone tell you not to buy a game, of course you should get Lego wars. Why sit on a device you own just because eventually you might be able to use it for free. Which is no where in sight. So if lego wars is something you want to play I say buy it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    D @ diamondsofmayhem: G'night!