Hacking Neimod making progress, nothing released

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, if this does go anywhere, should I get Lego Star Wars 3 soon in case they patch it?

This doesn't mean Lego Star Wars 3 is exploitable, and even if it is, it'd be purely by chance. Just about any cartridge save game can be modified (except the few saves which use the newer encryption method, because we can't decrypt them yet).
neimod just happened show an example modification in Lego Star Wars 3.

Reactions: 1 person

flamepanther

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, if this does go anywhere, should I get Lego Star Wars 3 soon in case they patch it?
Why wouldn't anyone tell you not to buy a game, of course you should get Lego wars. Why sit on a device you own just because eventually you might be able to use it for free. Which is no where in sight. So if lego wars is something you want to play I say buy it.
I think he's not especially interested in the game itself, and wants to know whether he should buy it now, just in case it can be used for an exploit and later versions can't. If he wants the game itself and not just for a possible future exploit, then by all means he should get it now. Otherwise, like everyone else has said, he should wait and see.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know if the 3DS will be exploitable via game saves at all. Neimod said that stuff about loading executable code via a software hack being impossible, not sure if he would consider a game save modification to be a software or hardware exploit.

But even so, Nintendo probably won't update the save file signing for a least a few more updates since, if they rush it, it's more likely to not be as safe for them as they may like it. And even if they do update it, I doubt they would use it on older games. (like the newer save encryption method didn't get implemented into older games)
Yeah, that would break game compatibility on systems with older firmware because the update containing the newer signature/method would not be included on the game card. If they do it, they'll just quietly introduce it in a newer version of the SDK.

well its just a firmware update
it happened before with super mario 3D Land in update 2.1.0-3
if you try to boot the game it says, not without update 2.1.0-3 and will ask if you wish to install it
they will most likely do this again when the new xor key is released
but Lego Star Wars III was an older game that came out at launchi thought?
The only difference is that those games already carry the update data on the game card. This can't be retroactively written to older games, so I don't think they'll change the signature or signing method for those older games.

As for finding the new XOR key, there is no the new XOR key. Every game card has a unique XOR key, your game card will have a different key to mine even if we have the same game. So it's not something that can be released for everyone to use. It's also unlikely that the same exploit could be used to get the new key because the old vulnerability relied on chunks of data the same size as the XOR key being 0x00 filled. Since the XOR key is bigger for those newer games, there'd have to be multiple chunks the same size as the new key in order to reliably exploit the vulnerability.

elisherer

I ♥ 3DS
Trophies
Website
www.sherer.co.il
XP
Country
Iceland
... Every game card has a unique XOR key, your game card will have a different key to mine even if we have the same game...
Not true. You can exchange game saves of new carts as well as old carts even with the new encryption, suggesting that the encryption is unique per region-locked-game. This is also backed up by 3dbrew.org latest updates..

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Not true. You can exchange game saves of new carts as well as old carts even with the new encryption, suggesting that the encryption is unique per region-locked-game. This is also backed up by 3dbrew.org latest updates..
I see... that's how I thought it worked in the past, but I was corrected and told that it is unique per cartridge. I guess that changes things slightly, then (although still probably no possible exploit). So does the game header/information specify the key, or is it stored in the game's code?

elisherer

I ♥ 3DS
Trophies
Website
www.sherer.co.il
XP
Country
Iceland
I see... that's how I thought it worked in the past, but I was corrected and told that it is unique per cartridge. I guess that changes things slightly, then (although still probably no possible exploit). So does the game header/information specify the key, or is it stored in the game's code?
Every game of every region has a unique KeyY which can be generated using some flags on the cart's header. The savefile itself is encrypted using AES-CTR where the key is that KeyY and the IV (=CTR) is all zeros (unless the game is a DLC like NSMB2 and then I guess the CTR will be the one used on the SD)

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Every game of every region has a unique KeyY which can be generated using some flags on the cart's header. The savefile itself is encrypted using AES-CTR where the key is that KeyY and the IV (=CTR) is all zeros (unless the game is a DLC like NSMB2 and then I guess the CTR will be the one used on the SD)
Well, consider me educated. So we just need neimod to share how he decrypted the header and then hacking saves for newer games should be possible.

elisherer

I ♥ 3DS
Trophies
Website
www.sherer.co.il
XP
Country
Iceland
Not quite, neomid has rom access, so he can get the already generated key and not go through the other stages,
but after you decrypt the savefile you need to sign it again after you make the changes (see hashes sections on the savegames wikipage)

we already have decrypted all the games prior to 2.2.0 firmware so it wasn't the thing that held us back. it was the common and unit keys that are needed.
thanks to neimod we now know what we need.

But! an exploit would be better, using keys and decrypting is somewhat piratey, an exploit is perfectly legal.

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if I told you, DLC doesn't use save data (Well at least NSMB2 DLC doesn't use save data)

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, consider me educated. So we just need neimod to share how he decrypted the header and then hacking saves for newer games should be possible.
Well with game ROMs dumped, the NCSD header (or as you say 'cart header') isn't encrypted in ROM form. The *real* trick here is generating a new MAC for the edited save. I wouldn't expect a method to be revealed until a save hack is found, and even then I have my doubts the MAC generation method would become public.

elisherer

I ♥ 3DS
Trophies
Website
www.sherer.co.il
XP
Country
Iceland
Well with game ROMs dumped, the NCSD header (or as you say 'cart header') isn't encrypted in ROM form. The *real* trick here is generating a new MAC for the edited save. I wouldn't expect a method to be revealed until a save hack is found, and even then I have my doubts the MAC generation method would become public.
I agree. The method of getting the exploit shouldn't be public. I don't think you could ever alter save games unless a method of getting the keys from the unit would be available.

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think the first few posts on the first page are correct assessments of what has been achieved here.

Modified some values in RAM on his hacked device, saved game, transferred saved game to unmodified device, take picture.

All speculation in the other pages is quite likely just false.

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the first few posts on the first page are correct assessments of what has been achieved here.

Modified some values in RAM on his hacked device, saved game, transferred saved game to unmodified device, take picture.

All speculation in the other pages is quite likely just false.
What if I told you, you're wrong and they can resign saves?

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would love to be able to hack saves. Kid Icarus weapon modifications would be great, let alone stuff for other games.
Can't wait for an Icarusgen program. :)
Seriously though, from what you're saying, sounds like things are a lot farther along than we think.
Probably still a long way away from anything usable by the common person though.
Can't help from rambling, reading about this stuff is so exciting.

Anacobra

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
There is probably much more progress being made than what appears. It's just most of it just isn't worth telling people until you hit a sort of certain achievement. A stepping stone. Most of what they do just isn't really, I suppose 'decipherable' or worth the effort to decipher for the layman.

This is a hobby -- and sometimes more for these people. Telling someone 'Sum your hobby up in one word' just isn't going to cut it because while those with the hobby are interested, other people would get bored and stop reading after the first two minutes or just not comprehend/understand.. So, wasted effort.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
I'm pretty sure it's already hacked if you're part of the right crowd, but nothing will be publicly released until someone goes rogue and sells the info to the Chinese. That's what happened with the seemingly non-existent PS3 scene. Everyone was stuck on 3.55 firmware (DS games in this case) while a select few with the latest keys and such were enjoying the new games and releasing fixes at their leisure (3DS rips)

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
People are still discussing the Neimod new picture's thread? :glare: The fact that there is a fundraising for the 3ds decapping in 3d brew, must mean there's not any hack coming for now. Consider helping with the fundraising if you want the 3ds to be hacked so badly ;)

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
People are still discussing the Neimod new picture's thread? :glare: The fact that there is a fundraising for the 3ds decapping in 3d brew, must mean there's not any hack coming for now. Consider helping with the fundraising if you want the 3ds to be hacked so badly ;)
But atm it's not possible to donate...

Reactions: yuyuyup

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    cearp @ cearp: It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space +1