Hacking NDSSFC/CATSFC revival

What sort of additional hotkeys do you want?

• Total voters

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I gotta say, when I first tried CATSFC v1.11, I was pretty underwhelmed with the results.
There was the significant input delay on top of having a lower frame-rate than BAGSFC at the time.

But now that v1.28 is out, I am VERY impressed with the results!
This is the smoothest SNES experience I've ever seen on the DS, I'm glad it finally became a possibility.
I tested Super Mario World, and everything ran at a correct speed. Frameskip was present as it was needed and keep everything playing smoothly even when it had to start dropping more frames than usual.
And the scaled full-sceen with smoothing option, I had no idea such a thing was possible but it addressed the scaling issues at last, wonderful!
So yeah, I played a run of SMW from start to finish with the Star Road shortcut and had no problems at all.

I still plan to get a GCW Zero as a dedicated SNES emulation device, but I am still very happy that the DS has finally gotten this far with SNES emualation, kudos!

Edit: I tried running it briefly at Frameskip [2] 1 in 3, but can't see any issues here.
What was the problem? I've only skimmed the thread here.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, how does this compare to the PSP's emu?
PSP's still better*. But a lot of people just insist on using their DS for emulation (or, worse, get a 3DS and a flash cart not knowing the extra power is unavailable), so any improvement to the DS platform is a good thing (and as you can probably tell, quite a surprise it even runs this well).

* - And take note, this is coming from the guy that's done video testing on a few CATSFC versions, and made some of the PSP guides, I've certainly used both.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@Nebulon
If you use that hack as it was in 1.24, then I'm more than willing to try it out.
As for the Frameskip 2, that was indeed the magical setting for games to run smoothly. But that was when you had the wrong library. Now that the speed has increased greatly, I find that most games run
extremely good in Frameskip 1, some even run very good at Frameskip 0. So that keyinput hack or whatever it had back then, might do the trick who knows. Cause the random keyinput lag (It seems it's most noticeable in Nintendo games for some reason), is basically the only thing that really needs some of your magic right now :)

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Nebulon
If you use that hack as it was in 1.24, then I'm more than willing to try it out.
As for the Frameskip 2, that was indeed the magical setting for games to run smoothly. But that was when you had the wrong library. Now that the speed has increased greatly, I find that most games run
extremely good in Frameskip 1, some even run very good at Frameskip 0. So that keyinput hack or whatever it had back then, might do the trick who knows. Cause the random keyinput lag (It seems it's most noticeable in Nintendo games for some reason), is basically the only thing that really needs some of your magic right now :)
Code:
* 365a69d 2013-01-26 19:44:37 -0500 Release 1.24.
* 6e69c62 2013-01-26 19:19:18 -0500 Fix uninitialised memory access in pitch modulation.
* f2f7ef3 2013-01-26 17:07:26 -0500 Fix Tools/Global hotkeys/* refusing to work by touch.
* 2b71568 2013-01-26 14:49:18 -0500 Reverse the loop in MixStereo such that instead of "for each channel, for each playback sample, add into the mix buffer", the playback sample is instead written to the mix buffer only when fully mixed from the 8 SNES sound channels.
* 2b9a9dc 2013-01-26 14:47:59 -0500 Decide whether SuperFX and SA-1 chips are enabled only once per frame. This saves a few million instructions per second. (Inspired by Snes9x-Euphoria)
* d57eea6 2013-01-23 20:05:23 -0500 Slight change to soundux.cpp.
I'd say the only thing I "did" in 1.24 was reverse the sound mixing loop in commit 2b71568, then the single decision to run SA-1 and Super FX chips in commit 2b9a9dc which still exists today. The audio loop change was when SoundSync = TRUE was a forced setting, so to get that behavio(u)r again, you could set /Video & audio/Fluidity to Prefer fluid audio.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
[...]

Edit: I tried running it briefly at Frameskip [2] 1 in 3, but can't see any issues here.
What was the problem? I've only skimmed the thread here.
The problem is that, if either:
* you're using automatic frameskip, and the effective frameskip stays at 0 (show all) or 1 (show 1 in 2) for too long; or
* you're using manual frameskip 0 or 1,
there's a chance that your current game will fail to recognise button presses or releases for 0.5 seconds, up to 2 whole seconds, every 18-60.

Testing with frameskip 1, I get that oddity. Testing with 2, I don't. So the next version will probably force automatic frameskip to mean "2 or more" instead of 0 or more, and disable manual frameskip choices 0 and 1. At least, if it helps you guys when testing with frameskip 2 instead of 1.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you , I can now play Rundra no Hihou ( Translated). I've been waiting a long time to be able to play it on a handheld. (On the PSP it crashes):grog:

wolfmanz51

MrNintendosense
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
CATSFC testing

My common settings are:

/Video & audio
Aspect ratio [3]
Sound: On
Fluidity: Prefer fluid video
Frame skipping: keep up with game
/Options
always CPU frequency 5

All tested on A 3DS XL
Act raiser 1 and 2 Run great with a little slow down no stuttering
Aspect ratio [3]
Frame skipping: show all frames

Axelay needs frame skip to run properly when set to (Keep up with Game) it stutters
Aspect ratio [3]
Frame skipping: show 1 in 3 frames

Bahumaut Lagoon Runs great on:Common settings
Battletoads in Battle maniacs Runs great on Common settings

Battletoads and double dragon
Aspect ratio [3]

Blackthorn runs excellent on Common settings
Bomberman 2 runs great on
Aspect ratio [3]

Brandish 1 &2 both run great on Common settings
Breath of fire 1& 2 Run on common settings
Castlevania Dracula X runs great
Aspect ratio [3]
Frame skipping: show 1 in 2 frames

Super Castlevania (J) Runs excellent (use J version for less slow down)
Aspect ratio [1]

Chrono Trigger (Retranslated) runs great on coomon settings
Clay Fighter 1 & 2have issues with the voice over at the beginning of battles Skipping massively Otherwise Runs on common settings
Conta 3 Runs excellent on /Video & audio
Aspect ratio [3]

Cool Spot Runs good on
Aspect ratio [1]
Frame skipping: keep up with game

Demons crest runs good on
Aspect ratio [3]

Donkey Kong Country Runs Excellent
Aspect ratio [3]

Donkey Kong country 2 & 3 runs good but plays too fast with frame skipping on or keep up with game also I couldn’t open a box with the rhino inside in the first stage I think this series use a special frame rate or the Keep up with game setting needs adjusting
Aspect ratio [3]
Frame skipping: show all fram

Dragon quest 1&2 rpg one trans runs great on
Aspect ratio [3]

E.V.O the search for eden runs excellent
Aspect ratio [3]

EarthBound runs excellent on Common settings or show all frames
Note: sometimes when switching games and having previously set to show all frames then playing a new game using Keep up with game it shows all frames instead
Earthworm Jim 1runs ok on common settings
Earthworm Jim 2 runs great on

Aspect ratio [3]

Fzero and most hacks run good on common settings
Final Fantasy mythic Quest runs good on common settings
Final Fantasy V runs great on Common settings
Final fantasy VI Runs great on common settings
FlashBack runs on common settings
Super Gouls and Ghosts runs fantastic on Common settings
Gradius 3 Runs great on Common settings
Hagane Runs great
Aspect ratio [1]

Harvest Moon runs fine on common settings
The illusion of Gaia runs on common settings
Jurassic Park runs on common settings
Killer instinct Runs great on Common settings
Kirby super star and Kirby 3 run like crap due to special chips just go play Kiryby super star ds
Lufia fortress of doom runs fine on common setting
Mega Man VII runs great on common settings
Mega man x 12&3 Run great on Common settings
Mortal Kombat runs fine on common settings but mortal combat 2 goes to black screen
Ninja gaiden trilogy runs near perfect on
Aspect ratio [1]

The ninja warriors Runs excellent on common settings
Out of this world Runs ok on common settings
Pilot Wings runs ok on common settings
Pitfall the myan adventure runs Near perfect
Aspect ratio [3]

Rock and Roll racing runs great on common settings but experiences issues with voice overs skipping not as bad as clay fighter seams to be common among interplay titles
Rtype 3 Runs Excellent on Common settings
Secret of Evermore Runs Fantastic on (shameless plug This game rocks easily my fav over secret of mana)
Aspect ratio [1]

Secret Of Mana 2 or SD3 is a little chopy even on auto or framskip 2
Secret Of Mana 1 runs ok on common settings
Skulljager runs Excellent on
Aspect ratio [1]
Fluidity: show all frames

Smash TV & Tottal Carnage (sequel to smash tv)run near perfect on
Aspect ratio [1]

Spiderman and Venom Maximum Carnage runs Excellent on
Aspect ratio [3]

Spider Man and venom Separation anxiety Runs Excellent on
Aspect ratio [3]

Star Fox is a lost cause
Star Ocean translated Runs Fantastic on Common settings
Streeet fighter 2 turbo and superSF2 and ssfa2 run Good on
Aspect ratio [3]

Super Demo World (and mostSMW HACKS using lunar magic) run ok on common settings
Super Mario All stars + world common settings runs great
Super Mario Kart not very playable
Super Mario RPG somewhat playable on
Aspect ratio [3]
Frame skipping: show 1 in 2 frames

SMW2 Yoshis island rev a runs slow due to chip
Super Mertoid runs good on aspect ratio 1 and Keep up with game
Super Punch out runs good on common settings
Super star wars 12&3 run excellent on common settings
Tales of Phantasia runs great on common settings
Teenage mutant ninja turtles VI runs great on
Aspect ratio [3]

Terranigma runs great on Common settings
Tetris and DR. Mario run fine but appears slow on common settings with aspect ratio 1
The Legend of Zelda A link to the past Runs fantastic on Common Settings
The Lion King Runs Near perfect on Aspect ratio [3]

Zombies ate my Nabors Runs Near perfect on
Aspect ratio [3]

BS ZELDA Does not Run

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
test log so far <snip>
Did you encounter button pressing problems during any of those?
Donkey Kong country 2 & 3 runs good but plays too fast with frame skipping on or keep up with game also I couldn’t open a box with the rhino inside in the first stage I think this series use a special frame rate or the Keep up with game setting needs adjusting
I'll need to get those games to check it out.
Note: sometimes when switching games and having previously set to show all frames then playing a new game using Keep up with game it shows all frames instead
Will also need to check that out, but first I want to make most games into a playable state first :)

wolfmanz51

MrNintendosense
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
ill give you my word doc for easy reference when im finished with it should make a nice log for future tests, and looks better than the copy paste here.
aIm going to make a detailed report on control issues
i think some on the control issues are a result of the emulation or frame rate laging
also it seams on some games when it skips some frames it skips that input or something It has not been a big issue so far

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, no. The Supercard DSTwo contains an internal processor clocked 6 times higher than the DS, and this emulator makes use of that processor. The R4 won't have the processor.

Will it work with the CycloDS iEvo, I thought that one had an internal processor too.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The iEvo can run DS and Dsi mode, are you saying the iEvo don't have the extra processor like the DStwo?
Yes. The iEvo's extra power comes from being able to unlock the DSi's extra power (double the clock rate of the ARM9 IIRC), while the DSTwo has it's own onboard MIPS processor and that actually runs the emulation (versus the DS running it like with normal things).

If you want DSTwo software, get a DSTwo.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sooo...(Not meaning to take away from the achievement here...) what are the chances of some one doing the same thing for the GBA Emu? Don't think, that I'm being ungrateful, just asking. (Also Mega Man X2 is working great)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea? trying to...