Hacking NDSSFC/CATSFC revival

What sort of additional hotkeys do you want?

• Total voters

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Sooo...(Not meaning to take away from the achievement here...) what are the chances of some one doing the same thing for the GBA Emu? Don't think, that I'm being ungrateful, just asking. (Also Mega Man X2 is working great)
The source for it isn't public. There appear to be efforts to take the emulator the DSTwo's was based on and use that for something new... but don't get your hopes up, might turn out to just be a PoC.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sooo...(Not meaning to take away from the achievement here...) what are the chances of some one doing the same thing for the GBA Emu? Don't think, that I'm being ungrateful, just asking. (Also Mega Man X2 is working great)
The GBA Emulator Details sticky is more for that :) Near the end you can see what's happening with it right now.

maravig

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried loading 1.28, but I keep getting a black screen saying some icons are missing, press any key to return to the menu. I have copied everything over 1 folder at a time. Did I miss something easy? I'm really anxious to try out this new version!!

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tried loading 1.28, but I keep getting a black screen saying some icons are missing, press any key to return to the menu. I have copied everything over 1 folder at a time. Did I miss something easy? I'm really anxious to try out this new version!!
I just redownloaded my zip of 1.28, deleted /CATSFC on my microSD (including my gamepak and gamerts folders, gah! will have to redo these quickly) and extracted the folder to the root. It doesn't complain about a missing folder. Make sure you extract paths too, so the icons end up in /CATSFC/SYSTEM/GUI.

maravig

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just redownloaded my zip of 1.28, deleted /CATSFC on my microSD (including my gamepak and gamerts folders, gah! will have to redo these quickly) and extracted the folder to the root. It doesn't complain about a missing folder. Make sure you extract paths too, so the icons end up in /CATSFC/SYSTEM/GUI.
I did that. It's complaining about missing icons, which is odd.

taydor_b

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a compatibility list that we can all use to add games we've tested and such? It'd be nice to know what works and what the games' settings are.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How odd... With 0 frameskip, controls are still pretty good, with 1 they suck, and with 2 they RULE.

So I'll leave in the options for 0 and 1 frameskip, but auto will still be forced to be >= 2, because otherwise it's either 0 (decent) or 1 (really bad) most of the time in most non-chip games.

wolfmanz51

MrNintendosense
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
How odd... With 0 frameskip, controls are still pretty good, with 1 they suck, and with 2 they RULE.

So I'll leave in the options for 0 and 1 frameskip, but auto will still be forced to be >= 2, because otherwise it's either 0 (decent) or 1 (really bad) most of the time in most non-chip games.
Hate to say it but i told you so. thanks for looking into this and taking my request seriously.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hate to say it but i told you so. thanks for looking into this and taking my request seriously.
Sorry I initially doubted you, but I knew that 1 frameskip was bad.

... though for chip games, 1 frameskip will be good because those frames will be rendered super long apart, negating the DSTwo-DS link congestion. Therefore, for those games, it's indeed best to leave the option in.

Also: CODE COMMITS REVISITED

139c793 (2012 December 26) Smoother sound. Raise the sound sampling frequency to 48000 Hz.
1bdf314 (2012 December 30) Return to 22050 Hz audio. 48000 Hz was just too much to handle, apparently.

Due to optimisations in 1.25, I can now afford to use 48000 Hz sound! But instead of doing that, I'll probably just use 32000 Hz interpolated sound like the SNES. So now your DS will really sound like a SNES, and this helps a lot with games that use loud samples or the noise channel. The overhead is negligible on the CPU -- since the old sampling at 22050 Hz caused resampling from 32000 anyway and now that resampling disappears --, and 39800 bytes per second on the DSTwo-DS link. I can't say no to that.

wolfmanz51

MrNintendosense
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
i was wondering about that i didnt mention sound much in my report but i figured there would be a better way to manage the whole prefer smoother audio/video thing.
The sounds where quite off for some games even when playing "normally", that change "Sounds" off the hook to me. Secret of evermore use that Noise channel a lot and sounds fairly messed up in the currant build so the 32000 Hz Sample should fix this. wow the next version is sounding better and better.

maravig

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally got this working. Wow! Very impressive. I know games like Yoshi's Island will never be overly smooth, but the majority play fantastic. Kudos to you Nebuleon! Awesome work! Can't wait to see what else you come up with. :-)

Jeff

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CODE COMMITS REVISITED, part 2

e2359ee (2013 January 13) Localise Yes(A) and No(B) into English, French and Simplified Chinese as [A] Confirm and [​B] Cancel.
4ba17a4 (2013 January 14) Make yes/no dialog(ue)s respond to touches on the Yes and No buttons.
753f481 (2013 January 18) Add A, B, X, Y, L, R, Start and Select pictograms in the font, starting at U+05C8.

I added those button pictograms from the Pictochat interface, to prepare for the Hotkey Edition. They'll be used in 1.29 instead of "[A]" and "[​B]" in messages like [A] Confirm and [​B] Cancel. Unfortunately I can't add those keys to this post, but you'll see what I mean.

0cd9ebf (2013 January 19) GUI touch handling improvements.

With BAG's SDK modifications over the 1.2 SDK, the touch screen is responsive more immediately than before, so in 1.28 you may notice that you touch something and then it opens 2 menus. Or that you press B a little too long and then it closes 2 menus. The exact threshold is 200 milliseconds, or 1/5 of a second. In 1.29, you will open a menu only when you release a button or stop the contact with the Touch Screen.

73e8f92 (2013 January 20) Assert that the icon set will not change according to language. This is possible as of commit 4b4349a.

Along with that, the Language option in 1.29 will be immediate, without the odd "Changing language, please wait...". This allows you to quickly scroll through a (hypothetically!) large language list. In practice, the language list is still at 3 right now, because no translations have come in. :(

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can do the Dutch translation, I'll check it out tomorrow.
Dank je :)

You'll see quite complete instructions in the README and the language file itself, CATSFC/system/language.msg, so it should be rather easy. The only thing you may struggle with is recompiling the plugin to enable Dutch (which I can do for you), and I may contact you 1 time after your submission if some messages are too long for the GUI.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:ohnoes::lol::rofl::rofl2: